Eating clean.. Cleanse first?

I have fallen off the clean eating wagon!! I work out regularly.. Had a baby 10 months ago and it's time to get serious ;) I feel sluggish and tired. Will changing my diet alone help? Or do I need to cleanse myself? I've never done a cleanse. Thanks so much. Ready to feel great again ;)

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Cleanses are pointless, in my opinion.

Eating clean doesn't make me feel any better or worse. I follow IIFYM, stay within my macros and calories and I feel great daily.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    No

Your body 'cleanses' itself. Any product or diet that claims to do that is just marketing BS. You don't need to eat clean. There is no such thing as everyone has a different definition of what it means.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Just KISS.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    No, you don't need to do a cleanse (please don't) and no, you don't need to eat clean. As long as you meet your macros daily, you should start feeling better. My guess that it has more to do with sleep deprivation than your diet, though.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    If your baby is nursing, definitely not. But I think that eating right, exercising, and getting enough sleep will make you feel much better than a cleanse.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I always make sure it's clean before i eat it... Wait.. not the thread I expected.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    I have fallen off the clean eating wagon!! I work out regularly.. Had a baby 10 months ago and it's time to get serious ;) I feel sluggish and tired. Will changing my diet alone help? Or do I need to cleanse myself? I've never done a cleanse. Thanks so much. Ready to feel great again ;)

What do you need to cleanse yourself from? If your answer is "toxins" can you name one of these toxins? That's all hogwash to make you waste money. Your liver and kidneys do all of that work already.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I shower every morning and after a workout. But not necessarily before every meal. I mean, I guess at least wash your hands.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Washing your fruits and vegetables is all the clean eating you need to do. No cleanse needed, that's what your liver and kidneys are for. Eat what you want in moderation, log everything to keep you held accountable.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    I made a pie this weekend with homemade crust. It sure is good. Buttery, flaky, mmmm!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I believe that clean eating is beneficial, as I define "clean". Clean eating has to do with having high food quality standards and an absence of artificial food additives that exist primarily to prolong the shelf life of the food or make it taste/smell/feel/appear more like food “should be” (as determined by corporate marketing executives).

I think cleanses are gimmicks that prey on our obsession with getting fit quick and/or alleviating guilt for eating badly.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    What the blip does "eating clean" mean, anyway?

There are things I avoid in foods:

trans fats
    high fructose corn syrup
    GMO corn (not for my health but because I don't like the side effects on the environment when butterfly-toxic pollen blows off cornfields)
    preservatives

There are things I seek in foods:

protein
    fiber
    micronutrients (vitamins and minerals)

But...."clean"? Other than washing foods, what is that? Some religious thing? God hates shrimp?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

There's a "clean eating wagon"? I ride around in the "dirty eating convertible"... it's more fun!

Maybe you're tired from having a 10 month old baby. Or maybe you just have unmet nutritional needs... or maybe you're working out TOO much. There are obviously plenty of reasons why you might be tired.

Don't bother with the cleanse. Like everyone else says, it cleans nothing.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    NeverCatchYourBreath Posts: 197 Member
    Cleanse. No.

Eating "clean" will help you feel less sluggish most likely. It does me, anyway. If I eat out a lot I'm very bloated and tired and also eating way too much bc I bought it and it's there in front of me. When I cook at home (not necessarily super duper healthy stuff) I feel better. Mostly bc the groceries I buy are whole foods and lean meats, not boxed, processed stuff. So... yeah, when I eat more of the "clean" stuff that I buy at the grocery store I feel better than when I'm eating out a lot. So give that a try.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Will changing my diet alone help? Yes, doesn't have to be "clean"
    Or do I need to cleanse myself?No
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I take showers daily.

Those are good to do....
  • Thanks for the responses.. But for me, there is a world of difference in the way I feel when I eat healthier! I do not have weight to lose, and I am no longer nursing. I just feel like I have not been nourishing my body properly! When I eat healthier my energy level is through the roof! Yea.. If I follow iffy and stay within the caloric guidelines I do see results but when I eat more balanced and less trash I feel fabulous!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    The consensus is "cleanses are bunk".

If you are starting off feeling "backed up", just eat some fiber (eg: chia seeds) and move on.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Thanks for the responses.. But for me, there is a world of difference in the way I feel when I eat healthier! I do not have weight to lose, and I am no longer nursing. I just feel like I have not been nourishing my body properly! When I eat healthier my energy level is through the roof! Yea.. If I follow iffy and stay within the caloric guidelines I do see results but when I eat more balanced and less trash I feel fabulous!

I suggest never eating trash. Stick with food and you'll be better off.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Thanks for the responses.. But for me, there is a world of difference in the way I feel when I eat healthier! I do not have weight to lose, and I am no longer nursing. I just feel like I have not been nourishing my body properly! When I eat healthier my energy level is through the roof! Yea.. If I follow iffy and stay within the caloric guidelines I do see results but when I eat more balanced and less trash I feel fabulous!

WTF is "iffy"? :huh:
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member

You should absolutely do what makes you feel fabulous :D