Stocking the fridge keeps making me broke!

Options
babbyb1
babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
I have PLENTY of meats/proteins in my deep freeze, as well as rice in my pantry. The only thing I would think of adding right now is fish.

Yet every time I try to eat healthy and stock my refrigerator/counters with produce, my grocery budget seems to explode! I have teenagers that drink me out of house and home! Need ideas of produce/veggies to get on a budget. Also need ideas of making milk and juice last for longer than a day. (Milk comes in the house and they feel it their duty to binge on cereal. They also siphon the juice - as in 2 gallons worth of apple juice in a 48 hour period of time. Seriously considering buying the juice and dumping it into a pitcher and adding water.)

If you had to stock your refrigerator with MUST HAVE staples, what would it look like? Also, what would you do with those staples, as far as meal planning goes? (Example: I currently have two pounds of carrots in the refrigerator.)

Replies

• jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do water down juice 50/50 to make is last longer the kids go through it like crazy! As for milk, we go through nearly 30 liters a fortnight (and only shop fortnightly) So I buy a few fresh and the rest UHT and stash it in the cupboard. I buy in bulk when something is heavily discounted, and when there is a really good deal on fruit and veg, I buy heaps of it, and either chop and freeze it (we have a bar freezer as well as our regular freezer) Or cook up a bulk batch of soup or apple pie etc and portion and freeze it. hope that helps some :)
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't have teenagers yet but my sister has a couple of teenage boys who kill her food budget. It's astounding how much they can put away in an afternoon. What I do try to keep in the fridge at all times are: 2 gallons of milk, reusable bottles of water, cheese, eggs, bacon, spaghetti sauce, leftovers, lots of in season fruits and veggies and 2 packages of meat for the week. My freezer is full of frozen berries for cobblers and pies, pork tenderloins that I cut up into one pound packages, some veggies, and chicken breast. The pantry is packed full - mostly condiments and ingredients for making things from scratch including rice, beans, flour, oatmeal, pasta, tea, herbs/spices, etc. I try to stay away from juices - it's not cheap and it's more filling to eat an orange than drink a glass of orange juice. However, with teenage kids, juice is probably hard to avoid. The frozen concentrates seem to be less expensive than the refrigerated juices.

I used to cut on some costs by making giant breakfast burritos and freezing them to microwave when needed (sadly they are too calorie dense for me now but it may be a good option for growing teenagers). Pretty cheap and easy recipe to make a couple of dozen burritos. It's a rough estimate but you can tweak things.

1 pound (or 2) of crumbled sausage browned with a packet of taco seasoning
    1 large onion chopped and sauteed
    1 small bag of sweet corn kernels heated up
    1 - 2 lbs bag of southern style hash browned or O'Brien potatoes fried up
    1 dozen eggs scrambled and chopped up
    1 can of rotel tomatoes drained
    1 can of black beans rinsed and drained

Toss all this together lightly and use about 1/2 cup to fill a large flour tortilla - this should make enough for 20-25 burritos. Wrap up in foil or parchment paper and freeze. I estimated about $0.50 per burrito to make.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of buying frozen juice in a can???. Here they have specials often buy 3, get 2 free. I stock up and always add more water to stretch it. Just a thought.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I have PLENTY of meats/proteins in my deep freeze, as well as rice in my pantry. The only thing I would think of adding right now is fish.

Yet every time I try to eat healthy and stock my refrigerator/counters with produce, my grocery budget seems to explode! I have teenagers that drink me out of house and home! Need ideas of produce/veggies to get on a budget. Also need ideas of making milk and juice last for longer than a day. (Milk comes in the house and they feel it their duty to binge on cereal. They also siphon the juice - as in 2 gallons worth of apple juice in a 48 hour period of time. Seriously considering buying the juice and dumping it into a pitcher and adding water.)

If you had to stock your refrigerator with MUST HAVE staples, what would it look like? Also, what would you do with those staples, as far as meal planning goes? (Example: I currently have two pounds of carrots in the refrigerator.)

Someone had posted this link some time ago where the blogger suggests buying milk @marked down prices or near its sell by date and freezing it for future use: http://www.livingonadime.com/saving-money-on-milk/

For milk and juice usage ideas: http://www.livingonadime.com/how-to-save-money-on-groceries/

Have you considered couponing?
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    We don't buy juice for our four kids. They get their nutrients through frozen veggies, fresh veggies and frozen veggies. We buy two gallons of milk a week. If the kids overdo and run out than they have to eat dry cereal, or add apple sauce or yogurt, which they hate so they ration the milk. Of course, only one of the four is a teenager and a girl at that, so don't know how well teenage boys will ration what they eat when they are ravenous. Cereal and milk are expensive though so having them binge on something else would be helpful.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Replacing the cereal (sugar bomb) with eggs and toast would probably help, too.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do you have any fruit markets around? And I don't mean a farmer's market, but a place that sells fruit as it's business. A lot of the time you can get fruits and vegetables for really cheap at them. The produce isn't exactly top of the line or necessarily pretty, but it tastes good, and although it expires faster, is worth it.

ETA: Just don't buy juice if it's too costly. It sounds like they just suck down sugar water they don't even need. Not that juice is terrible, but it's not a necessary part of a person's diet.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Quit buying juice. It's loaded with sugar. Kids are better off eating the fruit than drinking juice. They can drink water. Buy plain low-fat yogurt instead of milk. You'll see the dairy consumption go way down! Eat yogurt at breakfast with home-made granola and fresh fruit, maybe some toast, too, to fill up the kids.

It's incredibly easy to make bread instead of buying it. Google no-knead bread and you'll see lots of videos and recipes. At more than $4.00/loaf, bread is expensive.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Never buy juice.
    Make WATER the beverage of the household. Period.
    Don't buy snacks.
    I know this sounds harsh, but it's totally not!! Our household is like this, but everyone is used to it, it bothers no one.

Milk is not usually a beverage....sometimes my children have a glass of milk, but not all the time!!!

If they eat, it should be a meal, or a mini meal....so, veggie and/or, meat, a little bread like serving of chips, tortilla, slice of bread.

So, NOT 900 calories worth of expensive crackers or juice. 900 calories is meal, not a snack, and it should be "meal" food.

I find that a solid breakfast that includes scrambled or boiled egg is a good way to satisfy their appetites. WHOLE WHEAT toast and butter or peanut butter/jam. FULL-FAT milk and non-junky cereals. Oatmeal . Use butter!! REAL FOOD satisfies!

Lunches and dinners are roasted meats, salads, steamed veggies, a pot of home-cooked pinto beans. Limit the type of bread....they should eat the meal, not just the tortilla chips, for example.

Desserts are for those that eat the meal, only!!!

If you have meat in your freezer, roast some of it, de-bone it, and put it back into the freezer in ziplocs, ready-to-go and heat up for meals.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Though I don't have the problem with kids, I do my best to eat on a budget. I recommend checking out the ads to see what fruits/vegetables are on sale, and planning around them

For juice, have you considered looking into making an Agua Fresca? It is healthier and can be customized...
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of frozen veggies. They are cheaper and they are flexible. You can't eat them as crudité, but they are great any way you cook them. Here a 12-16 oz bag goes for $1.99. I use 'em to bulk up everything.

When I cook veggies, I have a million ways: roasted in the broiler, steamed, grilled (on a skewer), in stir fry, soups, stews, casseroles... I even shred up veggies and put them in things like turkey burgers and meatloaf to bulk it up (make it more filling) and reduce meat cost by expanding the servings.

I also buy veggies in season. The in season veggies tend to be cheaper. Sometimes I steam the fresh stuff and freeze it to eat later.

As for the juice, we only drink 50/50 juice in our house. I always dilute it right in the container. I don't think my youngest has ever tasted straight juice. I agree with PP that the frozen concentrate might be a great option to cut costs, especially if they drink it like water.

As for go-to snacks to fill those growing boys, make trail mixes or maybe pop popcorn for them? We store popped corn in a paper bag inside a plastic bag and it stays well for a few days.
    Also, do you have bulk stores in your area? Maybe you can buy some of their favorites in bulk to save money. Thinks like Peanut butter and cereal are often cheaper in bulk. Crackers can be, too.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    do what my kid does - saves on my food bill.

have your kids hang out with their friends at their friends houses more often! lol! I jest as I totally miss my kid but he's on the football team and hangs out with his palls a LOT.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
  • babbyb1
    Options
    Though I don't have the problem with kids, I do my best to eat on a budget. I recommend checking out the ads to see what fruits/vegetables are on sale, and planning around them

For juice, have you considered looking into making an Agua Fresca? It is healthier and can be customized...

I had never even heard of an Agua Fresca. Reading some recipes shows me just how easy this is!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Replacing the cereal (sugar bomb) with eggs and toast would probably help, too.

This. And stop buying juice. If you're trying to be healthier then teach your children to be healthier too. Drink water and make the sugar loaded/carb loaded drinks a treat once in a great while.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Thank the lord I have dogs. No kids.
    Do you shop wholesale? Coupons?
  • tjk0905
    tjk0905 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have 3 teen boys and a tween girl and The boys like to have a cereal snack at 11pm . To curb this I have laid down a no eating after 9 - you should have eaten more dinner rule, and a turn off xbox and get your butt to bed by 11 rule, the snacking seems to have slowed. I also stopped buying sweet cereals, now we have either cheerios or rice krispies! ( we get those huge bags of generic instead of name brand) That put a stop to it! (Mwah ha ha ha)

Dinner is usually roasted meat a bag of frozen veggies and a starch. Frozen veggies are relatively inexpensive and you can find those in jumbo sizes too. We reserve fresh fruits for breakfast and lunch. I always buy whats in season, or on special and meal plan around that.

As for juice drinks, we make iced tea by steeping 10 tea bags in 1 gal of boiling water, add sweetener or sugar and lemon slices. We also buy the generic crystal light drinks. $2 for 4 gallons of mix is fair. I'm really considering Agua Fresca now...
  • babbyb1
    Options
    Well, I took the advice of you all and made some changes:

Apple juice is in the house now. It is watered down 50/50. We went from going through a gallon a day to 16 oz today.
    There is no sugar cereal. The eating of cereal has now slowed down since the kids are now staring at corn flakes.

I am getting ready tomorrow to make those breakfast burritos.

The tide is a' changin'. I've told the kids that if they want to eat everything in the house that they needed to get jobs so that they could pay for the extra groceries.
  • iheartlauren
    Options
    I'm glad you quit buying so much juice. Drinking juice and milk isn't good when your body needs water. I keep a large container full of water in my fridge. It's more appealing to drink when I'm thirsty in the heat and feel hungry. I would also keep healthy snacks instead of candy and chips. I'm vegan/gluten free but some healthy snacks would be a lot better than cereal in the afternoon when they come home from school. You're going to have to buy the food and then show them how to eat it. Make sandwiches with whole wheat bread and nut butter, carrots and hummus. You can buy dehydrated hummus and make it yourself. Eggs, avocados, grapes, tortilla chips and salsa, almonds, bananas etc.
  • MissMamaAndrea
    MissMamaAndrea Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they have it in your area but i love Bountiful baskets for produce! as far as juice I can't keep it in the house either.