Zoloft and weight gain?

Options

Replies

• jremp119
    jremp119 Posts: 2
    Options
    I took Zoloft for a little over a year. During that time, I slowly gain 30 pounds. I was training for a marathon that year as well as several half marathons. So to say I wasn't active enough is not the case. I've always been very cautious of what I eat. My doctor told me it's just age and diet. I'm now 40 years old and been off Zoloft for 7 months. I've been doing crossfit for 4 months and am trying to get back to running. The weight is slowly coming off. And I mean slowly. I have toned up with crossfit so I am at least seeing some results. But overall, Zoloft is not worth it. And no one will admit to weight gain as a side effect. Frustrating!
  • EBarnesBeach
    Options
    YOU KNOW IT'S A SAD DAY WHEN YOGA PANTS DON'T FIT!hmmm... to be skinny and sad or FAT&HAPPIER. I gained 15+ pounds in less than 2 months on Zoloft. Just around my waist and lower back. My back looks like I had breast implants put in in above my butt cheeks.. NO JOKE!!!! Although mentally I was happier, but when my YOGA PANTS NO LONGER FIT and I was disgusted to see my naked self in the mirror before a shower... well I knew it was time to find something else. I don't eat fast food, eat mostly vegetarian and I make healthy smoothies daily, do yoga, bike and my dogs keep me running. However with this inner tube around me it has been difficult to do yoga.
    It has been 3 weeks since I last took Zoloft and there is a difference in the naked selfies I took when I realized HOW BIG I'D BECOME and now. I've lost about a couple inches around my waist and lower back. Yoga pants aren't cutting into me as bad. Although I have never had fat in these places and it is going to be a difficult journey getting it off.

UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY A BRAND NEW WARDROBE and always cover up on the beach, JUST SAY NO TO ZOLOFT. Read the post on different sites, majority of users gained 15#s and up... some even say 40#s. Shew .... I think I would die if I gained 40!
  • conniehettel
    Options
    I started Zoloft in 2011 and gained 70 pounds. I told my doctor about my frustration about my weight gain and wanted off my medication. She thought it was best I stay on my 150 mg Zoloft and add 100 mg wellbutrin to help with weight loss. I gained 20 more pound and now weaned off my meds.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I take 100mg of zoloft a day but haven't had weight gain issues, it was the seroquel and the half asleep munchies i'd get that put the weight on. we cut back on that and put me back on wellbutrin as well and i'm better now. If not heavily medicated between the 8 bottles of pills.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I gained while on Zoloft, though that could also be due to the fact that I wasn't happy, overeating, and also BC pill issues. So I can't blame Zoloft exclusively for it.

That being said, I'm still on Zoloft and have lost almost 13 kg, not including a bit of a break/maintenance for the past 5 months. Give your body a bit more time to adjust to being on the med. Keep at the calorie counting and be meticulous. If you still continue to gain weight talk to your doctor.
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I gained 18 lb on 150 Zoloft in 1 year. I think Zoloft simply made me feel relaxed and not guilty about overeating =) I got off Zoloft 2 months ago, and lost 11 lb so far because I got back my consciousness, started eating clean and working out. Now I care, I'm not numb anymore. Btw I noticed that a good workout is a 100% substitute for Zoloft. It removes all the anxiety and depression =) I'm happier now, despite my doctor being against me quitting.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I always have to be careful because i have issues with SRI meds, i was on prozac and man did that go badly. On top of it all my hair started falling out in clumps from a combo of stress and an apparently very rare side effect of it. I have figured out that if i take half my zoloft before bed the day goes alot smoother from the start.
  • Momof31981
    Momof31981 Posts: 1
    Options
    My doctor just prescribed Zoloft, and now I am just terrified to take it! I have already gained 15 pounds due to cortisone injections causing an appetite increase, no way can I deal with any more weight gain! I am considered a normal weight but, it all goes to my belly, butt, and thighs the places it is hardest to get rid of!
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was on Zoloft for just under a year and gained 30 lbs. It took me a while to get it back off + sum. When I was really strict about what I was eating and working out a ton it finally came off. It will come off it will just take a while to. Be patient. The zoloft did help for my depression/anxiety though it was just the weight gain that sucked. This was in college. My doctor at home told me that zoloft has been known to cause weight gain so at least one health professional recognizes this.
  • kirstysmith1991
    Options
    I am on sertraline for anxiety and panic attacks and have been for around 8 months, I am feeling better, still have minor panic attacks but nowhere near as bad. However! I've put on so much weight in those 8 months: I went from size 10-12 to a size 14-16. I hate it so much and I'm wondering if I should come off it. I go to the gym and try to eat healthy but it's not working. I never had a problem losing weight in the past but I just can't shift this. My doctor told me that it would make me gain weight as it slows down your metabolism, but that exercise would help. It really isn't! :-( I don't know what to do, just can't bare to look at myself now.

Kirsty
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I stayed around 150 even after having 4 kids. (I'm 5'7 1/2"). I gained 25 pounds my first 2 years on zoloft and have had to exercise regularly and be conscious of what I eat to keep from gaining anymore.

It helps my anxiety so much though, even with exercise and proper diet, I don't feel I can come off yet. I think the fact that I take Trazadone at night for sleep and once it kicks in I go into a half-asleep eating binge of stuff I would never eat during the day.

I"m glad I'm not the only one, (oh I guess that's a little mean, lol), but I know what I'm up against and people do still lose on SSRIs so I know I can too.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Was on Zoloft a while back (I'm off now- made me suicidal) and it didn't impact my weight. I'm on an SNRI now, after a number of SSRIs. Just watch what you eat and you'll be fine.
  • gregheard16
    Options
    Yes. In my case it added weight. About 30 lbs.

I took Zolof (generic version) for about 3 years due to PTSD. I does calm you but I noticed the weight gain after about a year. It kinda of caught me off guard. Each month/year I got heavier and heavier and could not lose the weight regardless of diet and exercise.

Then the high cholesterol kicked in due to the heavy weight. I add this because the statins added more weight and left me feeling miserable because of very nasty side effects.

I finally decided to quit both. The Zolof does has nasty withdraw symptoms (basically a nasty hangover for about a month) and anyone should work closely with a doctor to change or stop. The statins for cholesterol I would not wish on my worst enemy. I think the GPs look at blood test numbers and not the negative side effects. Just my opinion.

Anyway. My body is shifting back to athletic and the weight is slowing coming off (very slowly coming off). I do take krill oil, q10 and D supplements. Never been a pill pusher but they do seem to help.

The Zolof did what I needed at the time. I don't need it anymore.

Weight gain can cause low self esteem. The Zolof makes you feel good but do you really feel good when you are over weight and the negative side effects of extra weight on your body.

- good luck all

- Greg

After a month I feel much better. I do take krill oil and q10 to help with the cholesterol.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm on Paxil, another ssri. It has done wonders for my anxiety, but I would attribute about a 10-15 lb weight gain to it. This is while keeping diet contant. I am going to talk to my doctor about an alternative because 10 lbs on my frame is a lot. So I think these drugs cause weight gain not just because of a possible increase in appetite, but also because they somehow affect metabolism.
  • iasue
    iasue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds in the span of 2 years while on Zoloft. I switched to Wellbutrin about 3 months ago and have only seen about a 7 lb weight loss from it - the rest of it just won't come off. There are times when I want to say f-it and just quit the meds but I know I can't. It stinks but I am determined to find something that works for me mentally yet doesn't impede my weight loss.
  • ahrigg89
    ahrigg89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My anti-depressant story consists of Welbutrin (1-2 months in the beginning, switched because it did nothing for me), Paxil (4 years) and Zoloft (2 years).

I am 5' 7.5" and before starting on the meds, I was around 120-130lbs at 18 years old. Very sedentary, never been much of a sporty or active person and I have always had a calm demeanor.

6 years later, at 24 years old, I am up to 190lbs and have gotten up to as much as 195lbs. I have gained SIXTY pounds, which is absolutely frustrating and disgusting. I am now considered "obese", something I dreaded becoming for YEARS.

3 months ago I decided it was time for a change, so I am weaning myself off Sertraline.
    I was up to 75mg for a couple months after I had returned from 6 months of being overseas for a mission trip, and decided to go back down to 50mg for a month, when I decided to continue weaning myself down further.

I have continued cutting back 12.5mg each month.
    75mg. 50mg. 37.5mg. 25mg. I just began with 12.5mg for the month of September and plan to go on St. John's Wort after I discontinue Zoloft (Sertraline).

The reason I am taking myself off of the medication is because of the multiple effects it has caused; fatigue and drowsiness, confusion, excessive weight gain, fogginess, dizziness, and just knowing the risks of the lasting results it can cause to my brain.

I don't have an answer to whether or not I will lose weight when being off of the medication fully, but I will let you guys know!
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been on a series of SSRIs for the last 14 years. I put on about 75 lbs, in what seemed like overnight. I do think the meds were the main reason for the gain, in addition to my severe depression at the time. Going off them is not an option for me (I've had enough emergency room visits). I am losing weight now, but it has taken an extreme diet change, and I'm losing very slowly.

Caution to anyone thinking about taking themselves off the meds without physician supervision. As miserable as I am with my size, I'd rather be functional and fat than so depressed or anxious I can't function. YMMV.
  • angierosed
    angierosed Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am TIRED of psychiatrists lying about side effects! I tell them I have xyz side effect and they say, no it's not the med, it's you! Lies! And I've had this issue with more than one psychiatrist. Anyways, I took Zoloft for 5 weeks and my stomach got SO fat. I'm sitting at my desk at work and my belly is hanging over my pants. it's disgusting. The weirdest thing is that at the same time, I lost weight everywhere else! And the scale was going down. All while my stomach was getting fat and big. It's a layer of gross fat. Anyways I was not eating very much either. I'm so confused. How can you lose weight, and at the very same time, gain weight? Sounds impossible. I have been off Zoloft for 10 days, and no improvement yet. I just started T25 3 days ago, and preparing all of my own healthy meals. I HOPE it goes away. It took only a few weeks to gain, but I have a feeling it's going to take a long time to get off, stubborn fat. I will update you guys. Any insight? Has anyone else had this happen?
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you. I had to switch from Zoloft to Wellbutrin because of weight gain. I packed on almost 25 lbs in less than 6 months on Zoloft. which made me even more depressed. After excersing like crazy and eating sensibly; the weight didn't come off until I switched to Wellbutrin. So far I've lost 15 of the 25 lbs I gained. The doctor that prescribed the Wellbutrin did tell me that Zoloft is known for weight gain along with a few others. Wellbutrin is one med that is known more with weight loss rather than weight gain. I can't speak for anyone else but this has been my experience.
  • molls10m
    Options
    Welp I'm on zoloft and have told my doctor in the past that I feel really bloated and my weight has stayed about the same. I'm definitely reading everything your saying and taking it to heart. I know you have to wean yourself off of it so I'm going to my doctor because this is ridiculous that this has happened to so many people. Thanks for posting this topic!!!