Tell me your favourite quinoa recipies

Options
124»

Replies

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I mix it with taco seasoned ground beef, salsa, frozen corn and stuff peppers with it. So yummy!

Going to try this thanks
  • Kate7294
    Options
    I use quinoa for egg fried rice.

I also like smashing quinoa flakes in the food processor and using the crumbs for battering oven fried buttermilk chicken.

Yum will be trying fried rice with
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Black Bean and Quinoa Soup
    Serves: 4

1 medium onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup chopped fresh tomato
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
    1 large carrot, chopped
    5 cups low sodium or no-salt-added vegetable broth
    3 cups cooked black beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans low sodium or no-salt-added black beans, drained
    4 cups baby spinach
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1 avocado, chopped

In a soup pot, heat 2-3 tablespoons water, add onion and green pepper and water saute until tender, about 5 minutes, adding more water if needed to prevent sticking. Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds, until fragrant.

Add the tomato, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes, until tomatoes soften. Add carrots and vegetable broth, bring to a boil, stir in the quinoa, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add black beans and continue cooking until heated through and quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and stir until wilted.

Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve garnished with chopped avocado.
  • Kate7294
    Options
    Southwest Quinoa Salad - black beans, corn, cilantro, lime, quinoa, tomato etc....
    Here's a recipe, but I pretty just make it as I feel like it. Don't forget the cumin!
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/quinoa_salad_with_black_beans_corn_and_tomatoes/

Also... I have been gluten-free for 5+ years and missed my mom's kibbeh (we're Lebanese), so my mom and I developed a Quinoa Kibbeh recipe that has been a HUGE hit with my family (some people, including me, like it better than regular kibbeh made with bulgar):
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gqwgL4IT7AaOdVBzfh__XbmPbQ1iflfR7r5KoN2pnXY/edit?usp=sharing

Mmm kibbeh. I miss my grandmother's lamb, rice, and tomato dish. She used to stuff cored out squash with it. I even loved it cold.
  • katieca123
    katieca123 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Whiskey2206
    Whiskey2206 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    There are two ways I have quinoa. One is cilantro, lime and green onions. The other is 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, 3/4 cup quinoa,
    1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 clove garlic, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1mango - peeled, seeded and diced, 3 green onions, chopped

Bring chicken stock, quinoa, curry powder to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Once done, scrape the quinoa into a shallow dish and allow to cool to room temperature. Stir in the garlic, pepper, mango and green onions. Serve either at room temperature or cold.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I make Tabbouleh with it.

•1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
    •1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
    •2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    •1 garlic clove, minced
    •1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    •Freshly ground black pepper
    •1 large English hothouse cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/4" pieces
    •1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
    •2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
    •1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
    •2 scallions, thinly sliced

Bring quinoa, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.

Spread out quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet; let cool. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in 1/4 cup dressing. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover remaining dressing and quinoa separately; chill.

Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like to do a Southwest quinoa salad. Cook with water seasoned with lime juice and zest and spices (onion, garlic, cumin, chili), or with low sodium broth. Toss with cooked black or pinto beans, grilled peppers and onions, tomatoes, corn, and cilantro. Season with a spash of oil, lime juice, and more spices. This is fantastic hot, cold, or room temperature. It's also a good stuffing for stuffed peppers. Tons of protein between the quinoa and beans, lots of textures and flavors, and it will keep you satisfied for hours.
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I found this site and then discovered quinoa. Love the buffalo chicken bites!

http://www.soveryblessed.com/quinoa-bites/

These look yummy and kid friendly. I haven't been a quinoa fan but bought some today to try again. Think I'll make these, thanks!
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I stir quinoa into home made tomato soup, the only tomato soup I like, it's delish
  • Joy_Ryder
    Options
    Never tried quinoa yet but have been intrigued by this post to try it! That turkey meatloaf someone posted sound easy and delicious!
  • lolomama_
    lolomama_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump