Can an ex be motivation? Or is that a setup for failure?

Options

Replies

• ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    Using your ex as motivation is a terrible idea, I cannot believe some of the responses. Get real, you need a life change not some quick motivation to fail soon after.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I recently have watched my ex fiancé of 3 years establish a happy life via social media. May explain why I've deleted most every account I had, but it's motivated me to get healthy. In the past I did this when we initially split up and then when I got used to the idea of being single, I gained 25+ lbs and found myself at the local pizza bar every night drinking beer and ordering enough for 2. All the mental garbage in my head keeps me on this yoyo. I'm hoping if I can meet my goals it will begin to help move on. It's a hard thing for a man to admit he's lost his confidence. I'd love any feedback, or to hear personal experiences.

FYI, a happy life on social media is only evidence of a person's ability to use social media.

100% this. All the world's a stage, and Facebook is like that stage in the park where the homeless guy always performs.

That's great!

Shoot I know some folks who have insane, drama filled lives but by the frigging uplifting memes they post (gag) you'd think they have it all together and doves fly out of their armpits everytime they stretch. And they DON'T, trust me on this one.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Using your ex as motivation is a terrible idea, I cannot believe some of the responses. Get real, you need a life change not some quick motivation to fail soon after.

What if their ex motivates a life change?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Get off social media. It sucks you into a world of make believe where everyone is happy and desperately eager to prove it. Get outside. Go do something like work on your goals.

Wut? I'm stuck inside. That's my excuse.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options

Then you want a life change, read the title, this is EX BE MOTIVATION, NOT LIFE CHANGE MOTIVATION.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think your interest in what your ex is doing is the setup for failure. Maybe it would be good to disconnect a little and not check up on her. More of a "clean break".

If the split motivated you to become a happier and healthier person, then I think that is awesome. But the comparisons and examining her new life just seems unhealthy and probably will not do you any favors at all.

Not to crush the hope that your ex is secretly miserable...but I think some people who have happy lives on social media really do have happy lives. I admit that I take pause at people who post DAILY photos of them cuddling with their mate and endless "My hubby is the best because today he did this for me". Overkill. But I know my facebook page since divorcing my ex husband has looked a lot different, because I did make a happier life for myself and I am now more active (in the exercise sense, yes, but travel and social life as well).

Apparently some people break up with their mate and feel the need to "prove" something to that person. I guess it could be a motivator for them but I personally don't think it would be a very constructive long term motivator. As for me personally...I've lost 100 lb since I got divorced but I don't care if my ex husband ever knows that or not, it really makes ZERO difference to me. He's not in my life and his opinion is not important to me, to be honest, even though our split was amicable.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

gonna have to agree.

It's time to stop living in the past, stop stalking her social media and get busy living your own life.
    There's enough happiness to go around.
    She can have hers.
    YOU can have yours, too.

Stop watching from the sidelines and get yours, because she may never notice that you make changes. But it doesn't matter because she isn't part of your life and eventually, you'll be glad for that.
  • UsernameisNick
    Options
    Depends on the situation in my opinion.

If you're coming from 0 exercise any motivation to start moving around sounds good to me. The hardest part in getting in shape is actually starting. I would suggest finding a more personal motivation though once you have established your routines. Perhaps use something such as building up self confidence/esteem.

If you are already exercising though I'd avoid any kind of external motivation. Stick with something simple such being able to eat something tastier because you burned enough calories to allow yourself a treat.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've seen many people use this as motivation, but never quite got why myself. In a general sense, it seems as if a reason for it would be the fact that you're doing it out of spite or because you're still hung up on someone, and neither seem like they are worth the effort to even use as motivation. Im generalizing, but there are far better ways to get motivation. Try and go for something more positive.

Also, people are so good at putting up airs on social media too. I know a lot of people like this, particularly a couple like that look completely perfect and all that fairy tale bull**** via social networks, but in actuality the guy is a controlling, jealous, and short tempered *kitten*.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i think if it gets you to where you want to be, then its hard to call it a bad thing...

but your probably right that this thinking contributes to the yo yo effect... i might ad to this that it seems likely you are an emotional eater, like myself. simply knowing and owning the fact that your emotions are driving you to eat can give you a enough insight into your behavoir to stop yourself sometimes.

that being said, i make the guilty pay nearly every work out. wether that be my ex, my boss, employee, whomever.

it sounds a little psycho and very anti social, but i feel a lot better when its over
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I genuinely don't think it is a bad thing. If it motivates it's definitely not a bad thing. We all have our own types of motivation, and mine was actually very similar to yours (not necessarily an ex, but guys who made me feel really sh*tty).
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    much of what goes through my head is going to go through my head anyway.

when i look at something through the exhaustion of a work out, i tend to see it for what it really is and recognize how i'm putting my own bull**** on it and making it worse.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna look at it in a different way. Kind of. Take your frustrations and stress out on your work-outs. You obviously deserve to be happy right? If so then you need to do what it takes to make you happy. And if better health and a better body and self image makes you happy, do what it takes to get there.

Make yourself happy again. Take care of yourself. Mentally and physically. Use your break up as a jump start into a better life my friend.
  • whyyesitsneke
    Options

It can happen! But at the same time, weight loss needs a long term, healthy motivation.
  • cecimaguina
    cecimaguina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you feel will work...then when it wears off find another motivation...is that simple. The important thing is to be motivated no matter what moves you (as long as you don't hurt anybody in the process of course). At the end of the day and probably after a few tries you'll find yourself doing this for you and only you, so how you started doesn't really matter.
    Best of luck!
  • citalk2much
    citalk2much Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Start there we all need a starting point! however in the end you have to want this for you! Remember YOU are wonderful YOU are amazing and YOU want a healthier life!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Start where you are. Once you see the first real result, you'll be doing it for you anyway, so don't overthink this.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

I have couple of peeps on my FL who lost around 100 lbs and they all started after their Ex left them. Its a good start, better than sitting on a couch and eating boxes of donuts.
  • Jonthomas79
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I already knew the answer to my own question. It's my journey, and one I struggled with even when we were together. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one who deals with those thoughts. We all need to be reminded of our self worth from time to time. We all have the right to be happy, even her. I need to find that myself.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Any external force can be temporarily motivating. If this is your one and only form of motivation, you will fail. At some point motivation much shift from external to internal. I was originally motivated by a number of external factors that are of no importance to me at this point. Can you see yourself wanting to be healthy because of your ex in 6 months time? How about a year from now? 5 years? If this is the motivation to get you started then so be it, but know that if you are never able to find other sources of motivation you won't have long term success. Once you start doing it for you and your own personal health, that's when you'll really take off.

^This right here. Vanity, revenge, etc. will only get you so far.