Pushups

Options
One of my fitness goals is to be able to do at least 10 proper pushups. The problem is I can barely do one. I think I am doing the fine, but I just can't get low enough. When I try to get low my arms give out. What is the best way to build up the arm strength to get down to an inch away from the floor? Should I do inclined pushups first and work my way down parallel (like the modifications in NROLFW? Or should I just go as low as I can and try to get lower each time?

Replies

• badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym and find the smith machine. Use the bar to do your push ups. You can adjust the height of the bar and thus the amount of work you need to do. Over time, you will be able to work your way down the pegs and eventually the floor. I find this works more core muscles than doing modified knee pushups. Once you are on the floor, just keep doing more. You can try incline once you can do them on the floor and that will help you get stronger too.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me it's better to do modified pushups with good form than to half-a** a full on pushup. Start with wall pushups, then once you can easily do several sets (say, 3?) of several reps (say, 8-12?) then move to a countertop. Then to a lower surface like a sturdy bench, then to the floor.

I pulled those sets/reps from the program I'm doing, Body By You, which is a progressive bodyweight strength training program. You may find other numbers work better for you.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    great idea. I didn't even think of that. Thanks.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me it's better to do modified pushups with good form than to half-*kitten* a full on pushup. Start with wall pushups, then once you can easily do several sets (say, 3?) of several reps (say, 8-12?) then move to a countertop. Then to a lower surface like a chair, then to the floor..

This.. you can do even if you don't go to the gym. Just be careful if you use a chair... I've had them slip before I discovered the smith machine.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Ack! You quoted me before I had a chance to edit, lol! I thought the software would automatically edit out my swear word but it didn't, so I edited to avoid a strike. :) No idea if that would even get me a strike, but if you can't say ****'s Sporting Goods then surely you can't say A**, right?

Oh and I also edited chair to sturdy bench, because we have a built in bench that I plan to use once I get past the kitchen countertops, LOL.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    When I started doing pushups, I stuggled just to do one! Now, a month or so in I am up to ten in a row and am doing sets of three. For some that may not seem like much but I am happy with my progress so far. Just stick with it and it will get easier. You could look up videos on line for proper form.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    At my gym if you can't do a real pushup we do cobra pushups, where you start on the ground and pushup your upper body so you're in a cobra position (arms straight under the shoulders but hips still on the ground) from here you just pop your hips up to a plank, slowly lower your body back down to the floor and repeat. pretty soon when you go to push your shoulders/chest up you'll be strong enough that your hips go too.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I started doing pushups, I stuggled just to do one! Now, a month or so in I am up to ten in a row and am doing sets of three. For some that may not seem like much but I am happy with my progress so far. Just stick with it and it will get easier. You could look up videos on line for proper form.

^^ This! I also started out barely doing one and now, I'm up to about 15 or so. And, it didn't take long at all! What also helped me was planks. At first, I held a plank for about 5 seconds and now I can plank for about 2 minutes. Planks will make your arms quite strong and then push-ups are a breeze. Just stick with it!
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    100 push up challenge.com

...2 years ago, I could not do 1 push up. I can now do 50 broken out in 5 sets...
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Negative Pushups.

Start from the ground, arms bent and with your hips off the floor, core engaged. Use your arms to push you to the top of the push up.

Even if you cant do one, it will help with strength in the full range of motion.