26 lbs lost - 6 weeks on Eat to Live

Options

Replies

• welovetea
    welovetea Posts: 18
    Options
    I've lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks on ETL. I tried it two years ago, had all the bathroom problems and dropped all his rules except the salad-a-day. When I returned to the full program six weeks ago, I no longer had the digestion issues. I will second the comment that eating this way is a process.

I feel energized and alive. I've never lost weight this easily in my life. I exercise when I feel like it and enjoy the food. It's easier if you can introduce one habit at a time. Not so hard on the digestive system.

For beans, try spreading them out and start with half the recommended amount. Be gentle on your system.
  • Chandrahayes78
    Chandrahayes78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did ETL's six week plan in 2012 and went from 196 to 172. I followed the plan as it's laid out in the book with the exception of a few glasses of wine on Saturday nights. I've had so many girlfriends tell me they're not losing and when I ask them about their food they're not following the plan. They eat an extra serving of whole grain, they add cheese to their enchiladas or they pour Sriracha on their food (which has oil, sugar and salt). If you don't follow the plan it's not going to lead to the success stories you hear about.

The biggest struggle is maintaining. I started with the six week plan and then continued with a plant based diet for the next four months. I lost nearly 50 lbs and then celebrated by returning to my old ways. I put back on every single one of those pounds through eating out and ordering delivery. ETL can help you lose the weight if you can maintain it but you have to be committed to the choices as a lifestyle. I'm 11 days into the six week plan again to try to mitigate future issues like diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc. I've struggled for the last six months getting back up to 194 lbs and going on and off the plan. Now I'm seven days further than I have been in the last few months. When I started this time I was down to 186lb and this morning I weighed in at 175lbs.

Stay strong, it's worth the commitment no matter how daunting -- it's better than death and regret.
  • pichiopearl
    pichiopearl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started E2L a week ago and I'm down 10 pounds. I'd been maintaining a 6 day a week workout schedule for a month and was't seeing the same kinds of results I would see when I was younger. I figured my diet (which I thought was fine) had to be the culprit. Also taking into consideration the emergence of migraines, fatigue, hormone imbalances, chronic constipation, and other maladies ( most correctable by medications, which I'm not a fan of), I knew it was time for more than just a "diet".

It's a bit early to post an objective assessment of this plan over a broad span of time. However, I believe it to be valid in its philosophies and I've seen improvement in at least three of the aforementioned ailments, in addition to the weightloss.

My questions here concern the "no between meal snacking". What exactly does that entail? I ask only because I eat, roughly, six times a day...about every 2 1/2-3 hours; a piece of fruit, cup of veggies, handful of nuts or chia seeds. Doing so has not effected my loss, thus far. But will it later on? Has anyone done this the same way?

I follow the vegan plan with about 2-3 percent coming from processed sprouted grain bread and sugar-free apricot jam (my dry fruit compromise), and a little walnut oil.
  • gloygirl
    gloygirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job! I also was very sold on those documentaries as well as Vegucated. Glad to see someone else in the same place as I. Keep up the great work!
  • emm3rs
    emm3rs Posts: 17 Member
    Options

My questions here concern the "no between meal snacking". What exactly does that entail? I ask only because I eat, roughly, six times a day...about every 2 1/2-3 hours; a piece of fruit, cup of veggies, handful of nuts or chia seeds. Doing so has not effected my loss, thus far. But will it later on? Has anyone done this the same way?

The basic idea I got from the book was that you eat 3 meals because you have to allow your body and digestive tract time to process the food you ate. I guess the book says that if you eat all the time, you will still feed your "toxic hunger" and you will not get the full effect of the nutrients being able to allow all the bad toxins to exit your system.

I started my 6 week run today. Feeling ok, not really hungry. My head is feeling off, but I have a cold so thats to be expected. I did experience some nausea a little while ago which was about 3 hours after lunch.

I was vegetarian for years before I met my husband, I did eat eggs and cheese occasionally ( like 2-3 month). I have always loved the way I felt when I ate healthy, and I have always been willing to pile on the veggies. Im looking forward to the next 6 weeks in hopes that I can grasp this new lifestyle and if needed modify it to fit my life!
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just read Eat to Live last week, and it truly made sense. I am currently working towards a plant based diet, but the Hubs is totally unsupportive, and pretty much mocks everything I try. I am hoping that when I have success, he will be motivated to try it as well, since he is right around 300#, and he isn't that tall.

Thanks for all the input!!

Sharon
  • BelindaComedy
    BelindaComedy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I cannot say enough good things about Eat to Live. I've been on and off the diet rollercoaster over the last 2 years. I've been losing ten gaining 15, etc forever.

I read eat to live and got 100% on board. I've been eating probably more eggs than he says (since we have chickens, and eggs are free), but I'm down 21 pounds in a month! Not hungry, no struggle.

I also am not having gastrointestinal issues, no headaches. My back hurts less, and I have more energy. (although it's hooooot today so today I don't have any energy.)

I would say just jump in, don't work toward it. You'll be so glad you did.
  • chantelham
    chantelham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in week 5 of the 6 week eat to live program. I went in 100% on day one. I have had one kind of cheat meal, but other than that I have been on. I had 5 days of bad caffeine withdrawal - headaches, body aches, restless legs, etc. I honestly didn't know if I was going to make it through it. I did, but it was rough. After that thing has gone pretty smooth. I really like eating this way. BUT - I would not say that it is easy or simple. It is very hard to eat out or at friends houses!!!!!! Honestly, I have to always be prepared. I pretty much prepare all my food and just take it with me. The upside is that I am not hungry. I still do crave thing and I really really miss coffee. Now that I have kicked caffeine I really don't want to go back on it, but every morning still I want it. I also had to increase my sodium in take a little more than he suggested. I just had a hard time with the low low sodium, nothing tasted good. I bough pink Himalayan salt and have tried not to go crazy. I am 5'3 started at 153 and today weigh 140 (day 2 of week 5) and have lost 4 inches on my waist 3 inches on my love handles :) and 2.4 on my hips. I am thinking I'll stay 100% until I am down to 130# and then I need to figure the life plan out. I would like to have a little more flexibility when I am out with friends and families. I was working out, but honestly since I started this I haven't worked out. I feel good and more confident I am starting to get my workouts back in.

I wanted to post this because I have been reading this thread since I started the 6 week program and love to hear people actually experiences to keep me motivated. I started this to lose weight, but after reading the book I think I am motivated to eat for my health.

Good luck everyone. If I can do this - you definitely can :)
  • julgwill
    julgwill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    except doctors generally don't know BEANS about nutrition. Consult a nutritionist or dietician instead.
  • spiceislandvegan
    spiceislandvegan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started ETL on Aug 15. The first week was hard due to toxic hunger, withdrawals, etc. This week I feel great! No more craving and desire to eat junk. I even took off coffee. I lost 5 lbs in the first week. I love this ETL lifestyle and am reading the End of Dieting book. I will keep it up.
  • ashleyvictorshepard
    Options
    I talked to my nutritionist and she thought it was stupid. She basically was like you should eat meat and dairy in moderation for the nutrition. I went three months with no animal products. Ate chicken after talking to her and omg my body rejected it big time. Had milk this morning and I feel like Im having period cramps. I definitely feel fine when not eating animal products. Im just lost as to why the nutritionist though I should have meat again. :/ I did get angular cheilitis after cutting out all animal products. Being tested for celiac. I feel lost. Has anyone else gotten different advice from a nutritionist?
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your 26 pounds.

I'm with you on the plant based diet. I did low carb for a few years, kept losing a few pounds, gaining a few, etc. I went to see a new doctor, a natural holistic one, and she recommended based on my blood type (AB-) that I give up most of the meat, increase my carbs, incorporate grains, beans, legumes, fruit and veggies. I'll be honest with you - it took me about a year to make the transition. I am gluten and dairy free as well. I feel amazing :) I have never felt this good ever. I'll have a treat here and there that may include gluten and/or dairy, but I've made a pact with myself that as long as it's homemade (not store-bought junk), I can have one piece, enjoy, not worry about it, and not binge after. I'm mostly vegan right now. I won't give up eggs or honey. Or at least not yet :)

Continue on with your healthy journey. And once again, congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I talked to my nutritionist and she thought it was stupid. She basically was like you should eat meat and dairy in moderation for the nutrition. I went three months with no animal products. Ate chicken after talking to her and omg my body rejected it big time. Had milk this morning and I feel like Im having period cramps. I definitely feel fine when not eating animal products. Im just lost as to why the nutritionist though I should have meat again. :/ I did get angular cheilitis after cutting out all animal products. Being tested for celiac. I feel lost. Has anyone else gotten different advice from a nutritionist?

Listen to your body and get another nutritionist!!! It's your life and your health that matters most.
  • ashleyvictorshepard
    Options
    Thanks Topsking2010. I plan on it! :wink:
  • jennastar2
    Options
    Is anybody starting this soon? I want to start tomorrow and would love an accountability partner.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    if you're going to go vegan you MUST supplement with daily iron and B vitamins, otherwise you will become anemic- that happened to my daughter. I think plant based is a healthy diet, but you need to look at independent reviews of shows like forks over knives, etc because I believe they skew their results. I also believe that because we as human beings are omnivores, we NEED food from all sources- not just plants- our bodies actually need it. I always laugh at the cat food commercials that talk about having fruit and vegetables in the cat food. Cats are carnivores- they don't need that stuff. But since we think it's healthy we are going to think it's healthy for our cats.
  • lindi77
    lindi77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Those two meals sound great - recipes?
  • gluten2012
    gluten2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. Are you interested in an E2L pal? I'm in week two. I'm following the plan to the letter. I have lost five pounds and I am thrilled.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread from 2012. Original user has long since deactivated.
  • lkredwards
    Options
    Hi. I would be grateful for an ETL pal. I just completed day 4 and have lost 3 pounds. I would love to lose another 27, but would be happy with 17.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!