Slow Weight Loss..Need Help!

Options
Hi guys i started loosing weight on the 5th of April weighing 13stone and 5 pounds. Now i weight 12stone and 3 pounds...16 pounds weight loss. I'm really happy with what i've lost however ever since i started working out i have only lost a pound every week. Why am i only loosing a pound a week? Why is my weight loss journey so slow, am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your great loss so far! I am no weight loss expert, but in my opinion, 1 lb a week is bloody fantastic! Slow is good because it is sustainable and your body can adjust well. I noticed too, that my weight loss slowed the more exercise I did, but I have since learned, by reading on here, that our muscles will store water and glycogen(I hope I have that right) to heal themselves after we ask a lot from them during exercise. I noticed when I started low impact aerobics that I was not losing by the scale much, but clothes were looser and then WHAM the scale dropped. You are making great progress. Just keep up what you are doing!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. You don't tell us how much you're eating, how many calories you're burning, whether you weigh your food, if you're eating back exercise calories, etc. The more details you can give us the better advice we can give.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is not slow!
  • TheyCallMeShy
    TheyCallMeShy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. You don't tell us how much you're eating, how many calories you're burning, whether you weigh your food, if you're eating back exercise calories, etc. The more details you can give us the better advice we can give.

I'm eating 1720 calories a day i weigh every food except when it comes to dinner however i do portion control instead of weighing it. I don't eat back my calories and if i do its very very little. MFP says with the taebo exercise that i am doing i burn up to 400 to 550 calories depending on the day. And i'm not on a strict diet, meaning i eat healthy but yes i do have the occasional biscuits or scoop of ice cream. I always stay within my calories
  • TheyCallMeShy
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your great loss so far! I am no weight loss expert, but in my opinion, 1 lb a week is bloody fantastic! Slow is good because it is sustainable and your body can adjust well. I noticed too, that my weight loss slowed the more exercise I did, but I have since learned, by reading on here, that our muscles will store water and glycogen(I hope I have that right) to heal themselves after we ask a lot from them during exercise. I noticed when I started low impact aerobics that I was not losing by the scale much, but clothes were looser and then WHAM the scale dropped. You are making great progress. Just keep up what you are doing!

Thank you very much keeping me motivated!!! :)
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Thank you very much keeping me motivated!!! :)

You are very welcome. :smile:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I'm eating 1720 calories a day i weigh every food except when it comes to dinner however i do portion control instead of weighing it. I don't eat back my calories and if i do its very very little. MFP says with the taebo exercise that i am doing i burn up to 400 to 550 calories depending on the day. And i'm not on a strict diet, meaning i eat healthy but yes i do have the occasional biscuits or scoop of ice cream. I always stay within my calories

Sounds like you're doing everything very well. Read through some of the "Success Stories" of folks here that have lost it and KEPT it off. Guaranteed, they've done it doing basically what you're doing--moderate calorie deficit, moderate exercise, and moderate intake of "treats" (no "off limits" foods).

If you see my ticker, I've lost exactly the same as you (started on April 1st, but MFP logging started May 1st). 1 lbs/week is GREAT! You should be very proud of your loss so far--it sounds reasonable and sustainable, and you're learning new and healthy habits.:drinker:
  • TheyCallMeShy
    Options
    [/quote]
    Sounds like you're doing everything very well. Read through some of the "Success Stories" of folks here that have lost it and KEPT it off. Guaranteed, they've done it doing basically what you're doing--moderate calorie deficit, moderate exercise, and moderate intake of "treats" (no "off limits" foods).

If you see my ticker, I've lost exactly the same as you (started on April 1st, but MFP logging started May 1st). 1 lbs/week is GREAT! You should be very proud of your loss so far--it sounds reasonable and sustainable, and you're learning new and healthy habits.:drinker:
    [/quote]

Thank you very much and well done for your weight loss too!! Now I'm convinced that I am doing all I can I'm just going to continue. Another 8 pounds to lose and I've completed my goal, thanks for the motivation!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Hi guys i started loosing weight on the 5th of April weighing 13stone and 5 pounds. Now i weight 12stone and 3 pounds...16 pounds weight loss. I'm really happy with what i've lost however ever since i started working out i have only lost a pound every week. Why am i only loosing a pound a week? Why is my weight loss journey so slow, am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Well done on your losses so far. :smile: I'd recommend you read the following link in its entirety before proceeding [links and all]

Good luck!!

ETA http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    One pound per week is great. How much do you have left to lose?
  • chartwells253
    Options
    I too was loosing weight very slowly. I wasn't able to loose a pound for a very long time. I don't have a lot of weight to loose 10 pounds is my goal, however I couldn't loose an ounce. I bought Chris Powells choose more loose more and started his 7 day carb cycle. One day low carb and one day high carb every sunday you get one cheat meal. Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water daily. I lost 4.3 pounds this week.
  • TheyCallMeShy
    Options
    One pound per week is great. How much do you have left to lose?

Well I am 12stone and 3 pounds and my goal weight is to being 11stone and 10pounds before December. That's no my final goal but i create small goals for myself to achieve until i'm finally happy with the weight that I have lost
  • TheyCallMeShy
    Options
    I too was loosing weight very slowly. I wasn't able to loose a pound for a very long time. I don't have a lot of weight to loose 10 pounds is my goal, however I couldn't loose an ounce. I bought Chris Powells choose more loose more and started his 7 day carb cycle. One day low carb and one day high carb every sunday you get one cheat meal. Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water daily. I lost 4.3 pounds this week.

Well Done!!! Keep going!
  • TheyCallMeShy
    Options
    Thank you to everybody for the advice and motivation. Being 18 and losing weight is harder than i thought due to having to fit it around college and everything. My family are supportive but MFP is great knowing that everybody is trying to achieve the same thing! I really do appreciate the help with my weight loss!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job! You're doing it exactly the way I hope to do it. My goal is to lose 25 pounds very slowly (I'm giving myself a year) so I am looking at 1/2 pound a week myself. Keep up the good work!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everybody for the advice and motivation. Being 18 and losing weight is harder than i thought due to having to fit it around college and everything. My family are supportive but MFP is great knowing that everybody is trying to achieve the same thing! I really do appreciate the help with my weight loss!

The great thing about doing it this way so young is that you will have good habits for life. You won't spend your 20s on all the crash diets that many of us tried. Good for you.
  • TheyCallMeShy
    Options

The great thing about doing it this way so young is that you will have good habits for life. You won't spend your 20s on all the crash diets that many of us tried. Good for you.

That is the exact reason why I'm starting now. I have one more year of college which i am currently doing sport and exercise science. After that i'm going to uni to do a degree in sports therapy. I dont want to go to uni to do a sports degree and not be healthy...a bit contradicting i think lol :laugh: