Who do you think has it worse: overweight guys or girls?

Options
bluecat145
bluecat145 Posts: 144 Member
There's always a stigma against overweight people, but who has it worse? The guy or the girl?

Replies

• NaughtyNurse89
    NaughtyNurse89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Girls. I like dudes with a lttle weight on them. Girls not so much.
  • tryingtoshed
    tryingtoshed Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. I find women are more picky when it comes to guys. However, women beat themselves up more in terms of appearance, so our self-confidence suffers a lot which can be a big blow when it comes to putting ourselves out there.

Also, I find that when people grow older, they are more appreciative of other qualities, and appearance is no longer as important as it once was.
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    Women are worse on themselves than guys will ever be. It must suck to be an overweight girl because most guys won't obsess over it like most women can.
  • BodhiZ
    BodhiZ Posts: 4
    Options
    Depends on which situation you're talking about. I think both have separate issues. Girls get stereotyped as a fatty and there's the whole guys who have that "no fat chicks" rule. When I was larger and would walk into a regular size clothing store, the people working there would never say 'Can I help you" because they knew damn good and well I wasn't going to fit in any of their sizes. As for guys, I think they can get away with being a little more overweight, because society's idea is women should be small, thin, and guys can be a little thicker and they're just viewed as stronger. If a large guy is in a restaurant eating, people don't think much of it. Put a larger girl in a restaurant and give her a large meal. People will feel free to judge. Dating wise though, I'm sure some of the larger guys have it difficult, too.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think they both equally have it bad. Men tend to gain weight around their waists which eventually interferes with vital organs, heart, lungs, liver and kidneys. Women in the lower potion hips, thighs, which makes them uncomfortable but not so much as a health risk as men. Both gain weight around the neck causing sleep apnea, which is a vicious attack on heart, lungs and normal body function. Then the additional weight on joints both share in. They both are at high risk for T2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and an assortment of other related diseases. Both are stereotyped as being lazy, and unable to control themselves--or being weak, and unable to say no to food and drink.

Really there is nothing good about being overweight, it's miserable, for both men and women.
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Women absolutely have it worse. I do believe we are harder on each other at times. I have always struggled with my weight, I think I weighed what I was supposed to weigh on the day of my birth and it kind of just went to hell after that. I was teased in school by lots of guys, even those with weight problems :/

When you think about it, a larger man is called husky, a big guy, and women? Fat slobs, wide load, lard *kitten*, I have heard it all. My self esteem took hits and it will never, ever recover, doesn't matter what I weigh. I have placed a stigma upon myself that no-one else could touch.

Of course, we are literally bombarded with how we should look on every magazine cover there is and how can we compete with someone who gives birth to a baby and 3 months later is back in shape because she has a trainer, a chef and was skinny to begin with?

I will never be a skinny size 2, I have a realistic goal and when I achieve that, I might actually like myself :)
  • bluecat145
    Options
    Women absolutely have it worse. I do believe we are harder on each other at times. I have always struggled with my weight, I think I weighed what I was supposed to weigh on the day of my birth and it kind of just went to hell after that. I was teased in school by lots of guys, even those with weight problems :/

When you think about it, a larger man is called husky, a big guy, and women? Fat slobs, wide load, lard *kitten*, I have heard it all. My self esteem took hits and it will never, ever recover, doesn't matter what I weigh. I have placed a stigma upon myself that no-one else could touch.

Of course, we are literally bombarded with how we should look on every magazine cover there is and how can we compete with someone who gives birth to a baby and 3 months later is back in shape because she has a trainer, a chef and was skinny to begin with?

I will never be a skinny size 2, I have a realistic goal and when I achieve that, I might actually like myself :)
  • bluecat145
    Options
    I'm really sorry you had to go through that. You're worth is not determined by your weight. I really hope you are happy and good luck on your goals!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Well I look at it this way. Overall guys might have it harder than girls. Fat has estrogen. When in puberty girls and guys can develop bigger breast and butt. I am like a walking experiment. I actually measure from collar bone the nipple and it was pretty bad after my so far 50 weight loss total.

Now mentally it all depends on each individuals. I still have some unresolved anger from the past that I can either forget or figure out how to deal with.

Also I think that if a person was bullied for whatever reason never forgets the trauma.
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    Girls we cant win! guys want big boobs but small waists and usually its one or the other gentlemen!!! :-)
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    girls. you can be a heavy dude and still pull a hot girl. doesnt work the other way around.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That's a difficult question to answer. I think men internalize a lot, just based on conversations I've had with men I've known intimately. My fiance is very thin and he doesn't talk about it generally. But when I complain about my weight, he opens up about it. So you don't see it as much with men even when it's there.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Girls.

I think a fairer comparison may be: who has it worse when it comes to stigma - overweight women or unemployed men...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Girls.

I think a fairer comparison may be: who has it worse when it comes to stigma - overweight women or unemployed men...

ohhhhhhhh good thinkin'!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'd say girls and I will not elaborate because what I just typed out will get me in trouble.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Do you expect to find some truth or comfort in thinking that you have it worse than someone else?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Girls have it worse. Guys can have a little extra weight on them and no one will call the fat (at least as adults; children are horrible to each other). Guys can wear button ups to work with slacks that are both a little baggy. Women have tighter fitting clothing. being bigger means that you can't wear the styles and cuts that smaller women are wearing, either because it doesn't go up to your size, or because it's not designed for your size (like cutting mid-boob).

Girls are also the primary target of magazines, the healthfood/weight loss industry (Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Adkins commercials all primarily target women. Only commercials like Bowflex really target men).
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Your life is so terrible. Keep feeling sorry for yourself and looking for sympathy.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Do you expect to find some truth or comfort in thinking that you have it worse than someone else?

In all shallowness- yes