Smartphone Apps (aside from MFP)

Options
So, I just wanted to find out if anyone has used Cardio Trainer (Android App) and whether or not it's worked well? I have the free version downloaded and it seems kind of cool. Just not sure how well it would do since battery life on smartphones other than an iPhone tend to have poor battery life when things like GPS are enabled.

If you don't use Cardio Trainer... do you use any app similar? If so, what is it and how well does it work for you?

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, i was wondering the same thing actually! :)
  • mkrafick
    Options
    I have an Iphone and my needs are a little different - I needed an App that could help me keep track of Exercise, Reps, and Sets at the gym. I didn't need an app to help show me how, or provide video's, or give examples. I needed something that replaced paper and pen.

I downloaded something called "GymBuddy" which I REALLY like - I can enter my own exercises, create my own workout routines with those exercises (i.e. Chest, Tricepts, and Back). It has a stopwatch that beeps after X amount of time so you know your are done resting between sets. Tells me the result of that exercise over the last 2 workout reoutines, and all the data can be exported to a computer and pumped into a Excel spreadsheet.

I pump music through my Iphone and open this App and I am set! Highly reccomend it to anyone.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have an Iphone and my needs are a little different - I needed an App that could help me keep track of Exercise, Reps, and Sets at the gym. I didn't need an app to help show me how, or provide video's, or give examples. I needed something that replaced paper and pen.

Yeah, cardio trainer has a lot of cool features it seems. I like that if I decide to go for a walk around the campus at work, I will seemingly be able to turn on the GPS, and let it track me. Based on DMS it can tell me how far I've walked and estimate calorie burn. I just have yet to completely give it a try. It does also allow you to use music stored in the phone, much like I would guesstimate an iPhone would. And of course, the whole reason I downloaded MFP, was just so that I didnt have to try and write everything down... and it's with me wherever I go since my DX goes everywhere with me.

I think for the resistance stuff, that's a little different. All of that can vary based on rest periods, intensity, amount of weight, etc etc. So there probably isn't anything completely accurate for that.
  • neensbeans
    neensbeans Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Cardio Trainer - I have it for my Droid phone. It keeps track of how many calories you burn per week, and that visual reminder on the home screen of my phone is a big motivator for me. I only have the free app, but it is enough for me right now. I've used it to walk outside and the GPS only works if you hold the phone in your hand - one day I tried putting it in my back pocket and it told me I walked 25 miles(I didn't, LOL)! But the GPS is definitely accurate.

One thing I don't like about it is if you use it on the treadmill, it does not give you credit for the extra calories you burn if you do incline walking/running - it just assumes you are walking on a flat surface. So I have to manually adjust the calories burned after the workout to match what was on the treadmill.

Hope this helps!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I love Cardio Trainer - I have it for my Droid phone. It keeps track of how many calories you burn per week, and that visual reminder on the home screen of my phone is a big motivator for me. I only have the free app, but it is enough for me right now. I've used it to walk outside and the GPS only works if you hold the phone in your hand - one day I tried putting it in my back pocket and it told me I walked 25 miles(I didn't, LOL)! But the GPS is definitely accurate.

One thing I don't like about it is if you use it on the treadmill, it does not give you credit for the extra calories you burn if you do incline walking/running - it just assumes you are walking on a flat surface. So I have to manually adjust the calories burned after the workout to match what was on the treadmill.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! That's great info to have!