Struggling with everything...

Options
Some days this whole fitness building/weight control journey feels completely overwhelming. I just want to stop thinking and start doing but I feel absolutely burnt out.

I haven't purposely worked out in over 2 months, and I stopped caring about what I put in my mouth a few months back. I'm constantly over my calories and even walk around the block seems too much. I've recently recovered from panic disorder, which led to a flare up in my depression again. I take Zoloft at the moment which has helped so much. However, depression is not an excuse for idleness. Both my body and mind genuinely feel like they are running on empty. I have many grand plans on what I need to do, I make small goals of things like not eating junk food for a week, or walking for 30 minutes a day for 2 weeks. Unfortunately making goals and putting them into action are two completely different things. It's the DOING that I'm struggling with.

The intention is there, I've tried to just. do. it. This isn't working too well. For example, 5 minutes into a walk I'm finding myself stopping and heading back home, or my goal to not eat junk for a week only lasts a couple of meals.

What can I do to get myself out of this hole?

Replies

• tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You have to search within yourself as to why you are trying to lose weight, get into shape, or whatever your goal. Ask yourself why and if you can't answer that then you got to figure that answer out for yourself.

I can say for me without something there saying I have to do this I could have never done it. Keeping a promise was what got me going but quickly I set my mind on goal 1 then 2 and so on.

Nothing on the outside can truly get you moving it has to come from within.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Other than walking, is there any fitness item you've always wanted to try or do?
  • KeshiaBeard
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

I guess it's a case of putting too much pressure on myself to succeed. When even getting out for a walk seems like a marathon task it makes me feel pretty pathetic. I don't remind myself often enough that I've only just recovered from a complete and utter breakdown.

I like walking, I LOVE cycling, hiking, yoga and weight training, but at the moment walking is the only thing I am comfortable with adding into my routine. Everything else seems too much at the moment.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Maybe you can make a non-scale based goal? I signed up for a 5K, I'm really excited to do it, and it's lit a fire under my booty knowing I have to train or look like a big dummy at the race.
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    Start small. You don't have to do everything. Build momentum. Losing weight is hard. If it was easy, everyone would be fit and healthy.

Start by measuring your food, counting calories. Don't worry about what it is SUPPOSED to be... just measure it without judgement.

Over time, look at what you're eating. Cut out the easy calories.. the ones you didn't even know were there.

Find an activity you enjoy. It doesn't matter if its super-calorie-burning. Do it... Enjoy it. Form a habit.

Start setting more challenging goals. Celebrate each victory. Love yourself. Love your body. Everything will be ok.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have found that not eating what you like isn't a good idea-- (no junk food for one week). Have whatever you want- just watch the portion.

Depression is difficult to deal with- be compassionate with yourself.

Change your environment- walk more and walk in different places.
  • erinelissa91
    erinelissa91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You may think your goals are small because they aren't as daunting as saying "I want to lose 50 pounds over the next year". But, when it comes to tricking the mind, try for EVEN SMALLER goals. Don't eat junk food for a day. I have been at this whole weight loss/fitness thing for months and months and I still set tiny goals where I need improvement. For example, lately I have been craving sweets at night like nobody's business. So, I make a goal the night before that I won't eat sweets the following evening. Instead I will have a piece of fruit, a rice cake with some PB2 or something other than sweets. And it works because it's easy enough and simple enough. Instead of saying you will walk everyday for 30 minutes for 2 weeks. Try "I'll walk today for 15 minutes." Chances are, once you get going you will walk longer than 15 minutes. And your mind will still feel the same sense of accomplishment. A Goal is goal, no matter how big or how small. But, at least for me, the smaller they are, the easier it is for me do them and to stick to them. Good luck and you can do this. Walking, healthy eating and other exercise will all help your depression. And once you start, you will get in habit and it will be second nature. Don't give up yet.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Some days this whole fitness building/weight control journey feels completely overwhelming. I just want to stop thinking and start doing but I feel absolutely burnt out.

What can I do to get myself out of this hole?

All I want to say is I'm so sorry you're feeling so down and overwhelmed. :( I really hope you get out of your funk soon and can start to see things with a brighter outlook. I know how depression feels, and how hard it is to think positively. Wishing you a brighter tomorrow. :)
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are struggling but I agree with so many of the other posts in that you should start small and keep it simple. Just do what you can do for now and more will come. Be patient with yourself and refuse to give up. It sounds like you've been through a lot so just take it one day at a time and be kind to yourself along the way. Remember that better days are just around the corner. God Bless!!!
  • jenniferhanisch5
    jenniferhanisch5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So you have anyone to help you? Have them walk with you or have them drop you off a mile or two away from home. Sometimes you have to make yourself until it becomes habit. I agree with finding something you enjoy, if you love cycling, cycle, even if its indoors.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

I guess it's a case of putting too much pressure on myself to succeed. When even getting out for a walk seems like a marathon task it makes me feel pretty pathetic. I don't remind myself often enough that I've only just recovered from a complete and utter breakdown.

I like walking, I LOVE cycling, hiking, yoga and weight training, but at the moment walking is the only thing I am comfortable with adding into my routine. Everything else seems too much at the moment.

I suggest you just leave your bike where it's visible with any gear needed draped over it. That way if you're ever randomly in the mood, you can just pack up and go
  • KeshiaBeard
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I guess I feel like I'm letting my body down because I know that I'm physically capable of a good solid workout every day, and all the expects tell us this is what we should be doing, especially someone like my who works in an office and is stuck at a desk for most the the day. It's just the depression causes huge mental blocks.

I hope someday soon I can get to a point where exercise is a habit, something I don't even need to think about, instead of being WW3 inside my head.
  • bezerkus
    bezerkus Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I found the walk helped with me feeling down. It was my 1 hour to shut the rest of the world out and quiet my over active mind. Put some music on that makes you happy, create a whole 30-60 minute playlist and walk it out. I don't look forward to my walk as much as the quiet thoughts or music I know I get to during this hour.
  • tesstcool
    tesstcool Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When i first started working out it was sort of like a chore and i would have the same mental battle about it. Now if i dont do it i have a mental battle about why i didnt and how i can get a workout in. On my rest days i still go for a short walk or something just because if i dont i feel really....crappy. Just keep at it! Youll succeed.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I have recurring seasonal depression, so I feel for you and I get where you're coming from. I agree with everyone who has suggested setting smaller goals. This is completely specific to me, but if I try to tackle my depression head-on, it's going to smack me down so quickly. My approach is more to try to kick it in the shins and run away. It wants me to sit on the couch all day? I'm not going to challenge that by attempting to climb a mountain -- I'm going to go for a 5-minute walk. If I go on one, awesome, I get to count that as a win. Maybe in a couple of hours, I'll go for another, or do one set of some kind of exercise or something. That's a totally separate win. Instead of saying I'm going to cut out junk food for a week, I'll add one extra serving of vegetables to my next meal. No win is too small, and they all count in my column. It's probably completely childish, but I get a kick out of saying "haha, eff you, depression, I went for a walk!" If I had to wait a week for a win, I'd never get there.