Binging is becoming a habit, I can't stop.

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for awhile now. I started restricting everything I ate and at first I lost about 8 lbs within the first week, and then I started binging. Ever since that first binge, I just kept going on and on. It would go on the next day, and the following day. Today I binged on over 7,8? ( i dont even know how much i ate) strawberry shortcake icecream, cookies , waffers, Whatever there is in the house. Im not full and wanted to reach for more icecream. So i kept going on. I need help. I was doing well in the day time. I ate a peanut butter sandwich this morning, chicken and rice for lunch, and then i ate another peanut butter sandwich with ham for dinner.I snacked on a granola bar and a slice of bread earlier too. i saw a loaf cake on the dinner table and i just suddenly reached for it and started eating non stop. Then i went to the fridge and grabbed one icecream. and then another. and i just couldnt stop grabbing the icecreams.

I dont know what to do anymore. Im afraid of gaining weight but yet i cant control binging.

Replies

• mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Binging usually follows starving or seriously restricting your calories. The secret is to EAT. Eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner, and a snack. Don't starve yourself. I am a former bulimic/anorexic but I have been a healthy eater the past thirty plus years. Eating is the key, just keep within your calorie count. Don't skip meals. Best of luck on your journey.
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    I have had a binge eating problem for 40 years. These two books have helped me a lot: EatQ by Susan Albers and Overcoming Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth.
  • erinelissa91
    erinelissa91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When you feel a binge coming on, try reaching for something with nutritional value. Have a bowl of oatmeal with some fruit. It's filling. I am the same way. I can sit and eat probably 20 cookies, a whole tub of ice cream, cupcakes, frosting, chips and soda to top it off in one sitting because they aren't filling foods and have no nutritional worth. Instead, I try to go for something healthy, which isn't easy and it usually isn't as instantly gratifying. But I usually eat something slowly, drink some water and wait awhile. Then, I find I'm not hungry and don't need or even "really" want those cookies. I may still crave one, but I can actually think about something other than food and then it's gets easier.
  • LoveHealth7
    Options
    ~I'm writing this from an app on my phone called Stop Binge Eating.~

I Have Already Binged on Food Today: If you have already binge eaten, you should think about why. Have a think about what cause the binge- could it be one of the following?

-Too hungry to wait.
    -Negative feelings (anger, sadness, etc)
    -Boredom
    -Started eating sensibly then could not stop
    -Presented with lots of food, and ate too much of it (e.g. a buffet)

Knowing what caused you to binge is vital, as you can focus on this when you think you are going to binge eat in the future.

In My Own Words:

I tried restricting my diet as well and have recently- very recently- realized that that was why I was failing and bingeing. So I've decided to add more variety to my meals. if you search online, pinterest especially, you can find so many healthy meals and sometimes if you look you can see healthier alternatives to unhealthy meals. I would suggest keeping a list of the meals you like, maybe in categories like Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and then remind yourself you don't have to make all of them right away, you don't have to eat all of them right now. The food is not going anywhere, you are strong and you can choose one meal to make that you are going to enjoy making, the process of cooking. Some people say cooking can be meditative. Focus on the goodness you are going to be putting into your body. And remember, choosing this meal over the others does not mean you are never going to eat the other meals (or junk food) again. You are just choosing that meal (or those meals) today. This is not a diet. This is a healthy lifestyle. And you have favourite foods for a reason, because you LIKE to eat them, and as long as you eat them in moderation and strive to keep a healthy, balanced life, with exercise, less stress, more smiling, it's ok.

This is what I have been telling myself. Wish you the best.

Oh, and if it is still hard, find support somewhere, here, friends, family, private message me, whatever.

And I forgot to say it'll probably be challenging to stop, at least until you adjust, so give yourself lots of leeway and try to limit the stress in your everyday life.

Take Care.
  • solsi6
    solsi6 Posts: 14
    Options
    couldn't aggree more with mgalvin12. Also you can remove all junk food from home and make sure the only food at home is stuff that require you to do some cooking, microwaving etc. It works for me because I hate to prepare food.
  • Fitfornowt
    Fitfornowt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can tell when one of my own binges is looming, so I grab an apple, and set off for a walk...............a long walk!
    After a minimum of 4 miles, you will have given yourself time to think it through without the risk of any available food to hand (don't walk past any shops and don't take cash - go for a walk in the countryside and clear your head!)
    When I get back home, I feel better about myself, and I've burned off some calories so that I am back on track!
    JUST WALK THROUGH IT!
    Good luck
  • mshannond
    Options
    what are you currently eating during the day minus the binges?
    If it's sugary or overly processed, you might not be satisfying your body nutritionally and it's crying out for nutrients.
    If its low fat, low carb, or low calorie it is the same.
    Is it emotional binging?
    you need to establish the reason behind this.
  • art_is_ink
    art_is_ink Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was going to write a post that was similar to this myself; I understand completely where you're coming from as I am going through the same at the moment. My trainer says exercising will power is like exercising a muscle; it's a mind over matter issue and it can be hard to control but this can be beat. It's equally important that you don't 'beat yourself up' if you slip up, or feel guilty if you do have a 'treat' (sans binge).

I agree with the comments to grab an apple and walk - at least with an apple you'll get that 'sweet' craving you want and yet you'll be exercising at the same time. Finding recipes can be tough and challenging but equally rewarding and delicious and there are loads of helpful food blogs and recipe books too. Make cooking a fun activity and share cooking days with friends and family.

Also - how much sleep are you getting? You mood can be a powerful motivator in what you reach for in your cupboards and if you're tired, suddenly those sweet things look so much more tempting.

Good luck and I'll be cheering you on as I fight the good fight alongside you.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Reading some of your other posts, you are restricting yourself to 1200 calories a day, exercise about 700 calories a day and don't eat your exercise calories back? You've also, according to your ticker, have only about 10 pounds left to lose?
    Eat more and eat at least some of your exercise calories back. As an active 18-year old, you need more food.