Unusual Weight Gain

Options
I wasn't dieting a couple of weeks ago, though following a maintenance schedule (I hadn't hit my goal weight yet and I still have around 15 lbs to lose), but when I started dieting really well last week with visiting the gym on daily basis (with one rest day) I started noticing the scale going really up that I gained around 7 lbs with no reason. I was eating 100% healthy with no junk or crap foods for a whole week. I also started lifting weights since last week to speed up the weight loss process ( I need to lose the weight in a month's time). I spend around 2 hours in the gym. The weight gain is really depressing me, it's like I was thinner before I actually started following a routine gym schedule and eating healthy. I expected to lose at least 1 lb last week and had been surprised by the weight gain. I also look huger and my clothes especially my pants are so much tighter on me.
I was 125 lb before I dieted and now I'm 132 lbs. I'm a 5"5 and my daily intake is around 1300.
I need urgent help please

Replies

• OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food and liquid? Weighing your intake in grams on a scale?

If you aren't used to exercise, a few pounds gain of water weight is normal at first. The only item that speeds up weight loss is a larger calories deficit. As the saying goes, diet for weight, gym for fitness.
  • sweet_as_sugar94
    Options
    Yes I log in my intake nearly daily. I do have a calorie deficit. I eat complex carbs at breakfast, proteins and fibers at lunch, and usually a cup of yogurt and some fruits for dinner. Yet I seem to tremendously have gained. I was to eat so much more before I actually started limiting my intake, yet I was thinner.
  • OllyJ_79
    Options
    Are you weighing with a digital scale, or using cups for portion size?

The type of food isn't really a factor for weight loss, although from a health point of view it matters, its really about calories in and calories out. If you are putting on weight, other than what could be temporary water weight from new exercise, then you are in all likelihood eating or drinking more calories than you think. This isn't a criticism, as its very easy to do, and you have mentioned you log nearly every day, suggesting that perhaps there are uncounted items.

Perhaps open up your diary.
  • A185945
    A185945 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking a lot of water?

I found that I was gaining weight two years ago, and put on 6 pounds in a matter of days as my body was retaining the 8 - 10 glasses of water I was consuming on a daily basis. As soon as I cut down on my water intake, I lost the extra weight and was able to start going down on the scale again
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That seems like a huge gain for such a small person in just a week. You don't have any underlying medical conditions, do you? Are you weighing yourself on the same scale each time? Hopefully, it's just water weight from your muscles being pissed off at your new gym routine. In that case, weight should come off again as soon as your body adjusts. Are you weighing and measuring all your food? Could you be overestimating calorie burn?
  • sweet_as_sugar94
    Options
    I use cups to estimate portions.
    I usually don't include vegetables in my diary as they are nearly calorie less, but guess I should be more accurate with my logging. I'm sure though I didqn't eat as much as I used to during my maintenance period, not as much calories that could lead to a 7 lbs gain a week.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You started weight lifting. Give it a while, and the weight will go back down as the body gets used to things and muscles repair and let go of water again.

If the weight is still going up in 2-3 weeks then there might be an issue, but a fluctuation of a few pounds is to be expected when you change your routine. Also as a female your period will have an effect.

Keep calm, keep lifting and be patient with the result :)

ETA: also with that little to get rid of, you might want to measure your success in cm/inch instead of kg/lbs :) Esp. if you start lifting heavy. You will get a shape you will love, but the scale wont have as low number as if you were getting rid of muscle instead of retaining/building it.
  • OllyJ_79
    Options
    To put it in perspective, to put on 7lb's you'd have to consume around 24,500 calories in addition to your maintenance, so in all likelihood a good proportion is going to be water weight.

I would advise you to weight and log everything, cups aren't a very accurate measure when it comes to high calorie dense foods such as cereal and rice etc

Also worth working out your TDEE for reference.

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee