Cardio training zone vs fat burning zone?

Options
Hey all!

I noramlly use the "manual" setting on the machines at the gym. Today I was thinking of doing the fat burning or cardio training setting intead (on the bike). I did the fat burning setting and I felt not challenged at all! It was so easy I just stopped and re-started the bike on a manual settin and bumping up the resistance to 12.

Does anyone know what setting would be better to do during a work out? I have about 30lbs more to lose and I am very toned...so I need to get this fat off!

Thanks!
Natalie

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Apparently the lower intensity workouts burn more fat than carbs. As the intensity gets higher the more carbs and the less fat is burned - but more calories overall are burned at the higher intensities. I do lower intensity walks on my treadmill but they are much longer than my high intensity interval walks.

But you might get a more correct answer through the nutritionists and certified trainers on MFP. I just look through the internet and you know how conflicting that info can be.

Erickirb explained it much better than me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    These "zone" things can be misleading you will burn more fat and calories at the higher intensity. That being said a lower % of the calories at a higher intensity would be from fat.

As an example (these numbers for % cals from fat are just for illustration purposes, may be more or less) lets say you are in the fat burning zone and burn 80% cals from fat and burn a total of 240 cals in 30 minute of the 240, 192 (240*.80) would be from fat. Now if you worked out in the cardio zone and burned 70% cals from fat but burned 300 cals you would have burned 210 (300*.70) cals from fat. So in half an hour at the higher rate you would burn more total calories, more fat calories but a lower % of calories from fat. That being said using the higher intensity will yield greater weighloss, fitness, and cardiovascular results.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Since you are toned now you need to do target training. Cardio cardio cardio...mix in some more toning techniques and keep your heart rate up
  • khubbard1207
    khubbard1207 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know!! Fat burning does not seem like a lot at all. The thing with me is that I go by my heart rate. The trainer told me to keep in the 124 to 144 heart rate range to burn fat. Anything more than that and you are just doing cardio. When I started keeping in this range I thought something had to be wrong because it was so easy. But they know more than me so I am going to trust them.
  • migonzalez
    Options
    If your equipment is the same as my gym, once you select fat burn or cardio you need to push the up arrow in the power level to choose the level. Because everyone is built different you still have to select your power level. Hope this helps.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I know!! Fat burning does not seem like a lot at all. The thing with me is that I go by my heart rate. The trainer told me to keep in the 124 to 144 heart rate range to burn fat. Anything more than that and you are just doing cardio. When I started keeping in this range I thought something had to be wrong because it was so easy. But they know more than me so I am going to trust them.

You will burn more fat in the cardio zone than the fat burning zone in total but a lower % of calories from fat will be burned at the cardio zone, see my calculation above
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    The exercise bikes we have at our gym, let us bump up the levels/resistances even when they are in fat burning or cardio mode. I always just use the manual and then adjust as my hrm tells me too.
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    I always sweat wayyyy more with the cardio or interval training on a machine. Manual is hard for me - I don't want to focus on changing it up and down. And like others mentioned, you have to watch where your heart rate is at to burn fat.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    These "zone" things can be misleading you will burn more fat and calories at the higher intensity. That being said a lower % of the calories at a higher intensity would be from fat.

As an example (these numbers for % cals from fat are just for illustration purposes, may be more or less) lets say you are in the fat burning zone and burn 80% cals from fat and burn a total of 240 cals in 30 minute of the 240, 192 (240*.80) would be from fat. Now if you worked out in the cardio zone and burned 70% cals from fat but burned 300 cals you would have burned 210 (300*.70) cals from fat. So in half an hour at the higher rate you would burn more total calories, more fat calories but a lower % of calories from fat. That being said using the higher intensity will yield greater weighloss, fitness, and cardiovascular results.

Worker harder. Whereas we used to think that working at a lower threshold would yield better results, that's been debunked. Work out harder at a higher HR% (max 85% or 90% if you're fit and healthy enough to push this hard) consistently and occasionally (up to twice a week) do intervals where you push hard and lay back a bit intermittently (intervals lose their effectiveness gradually as your use of them exceeds about twice a week).

Good luck and have fun!
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options

Worker harder. Whereas we used to think that working at a lower threshold would yield better results, that's been debunked. Work out harder at a higher HR% (max 85% or 90% if you're fit and healthy enough to push this hard) consistently and occasionally (up to twice a week) do intervals where you push hard and lay back a bit intermittently (intervals lose their effectiveness gradually as your use of them exceeds about twice a week).

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the info. I like interval tranning....its like a huge sprint and then a quick rest. I like that type of workout. I feel that I get burned out too quick if I work hard all at once. My cardio-health test at my fitness assessment last week said I was in the excelent range, so I know I can work hard.

I have been between 150-180HR during my workouts. (Not sure what is is when I am running). I am going ot be buying a HR monitor this weekend and will use that from now on. (I am not so great at holding onto the sensors on the machines and I am scared im going to fall off! :laugh: