Low Carb Breakfast

Options

Replies

• pmac101
    pmac101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recommend banana and egg "pancakes". I eat them with a sliced nectarine/peach or strawberries and a teaspoon of honey. Even the kids love them and haven't noticed they are different to their usual fluffy pancakes.

Super easy too. Mash a banana in a bowl, crack two eggs into the same bowl and whisk. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the pan and fry until bubbles start to appear, then flip and repeat. They are also really good with cinnamon.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I recommend banana and egg "pancakes". I eat them with a sliced nectarine/peach or strawberries and a teaspoon of honey

I guess you missed the "Low carb" part of the question ;-)
  • solsi6
    solsi6 Posts: 14
    Options
    Skimmed milk + oats or some kind of low calorie corn flakes. Tastes well, satiating and so low on calories that I feel I run out of energy when I eat that.
  • treasuredtres
    treasuredtres Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Tropicana 50 orange juice... my son loves orange juice and i bought this for him because we are having to watch his sugar
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    A big hot mug of black coffee! See's me good till about 1pm! :smile:
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    All sort of pancakes, spinach pancakes, protein pancakes , almond pancakes, quinoa pancakes..you have a lot of choices. Also, if you like something like rice pudding, you have the quinoa alternative which I love, cook quinoa add some almond milk, stevia and a pinch of cinnamon.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Tropicana 50 orange juice... my son loves orange juice and i bought this for him because we are having to watch his sugar

No, that's still just a sugar solution. Paying over the odds for a watered down version doesn't change that.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay below 66g of sugar every day and yesterday, I had some OJ and that used up almost half of my sugar for the day....then today I thought I would do better with oatmeal and cottage cheese with pineapple....and I was shocked when I realized I had already used up half of my sugar intake goal.

I'm not trying to go "low carb" at all....I just want to be able to have some breathing room throughout the day when it comes to the goals I have set. I don't want to use all of my sugar or carb goal before noon!

But $#%@!!! I like my OJ in the morning (since I don't drink coffee or tea) and trying to cut back on it is really killing me! LOL

Like I said....eggs are good.....but get tired of them very quickly. I guess I'm just going to have to be doing a lot more eggs and a lot less OJ.

I love OJ also but have had to learn to cut it down to once or twice a week. I do carb cycling and even on low carb days allow morning carbs. I find it is much easier to cut the carbs almost completely (allow non-starchy veggies) from lunch and dinner and have them for breakfast.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Ok....I'm just starting out with all of this and one issue I am having is cutting my carbs in my breakfast. Everything I eat for breakfast is high in carbs. Cereals, juices, bread, fruit,.....the only thing I might eat on a regular basis for breakfast that doesn't overload my carbs is EGGS. I like eggs, but I need some variety.

What do you eat for breakfast that is low in carbs but still gives you enough energy to get you going for the day?

I like to make a "hash" for breakfast. I usually make a big one up and eat it for days. The one I made today had 1lb of breakfast sausage, 1 large sweet potato and 3 hand fulls of spinach. I fried an egg in coconut oil and put it on top of my serving. 14g carbs, 27g fat, 23g protein.

If you just can't fathom life without cereal, try making your own with nuts, shredded unsweetened coconut...etc. and use almond milk for fewer carbs.

If you're low-carbing, you'll feel much better if you eat a meal with plenty of fat for breakfast.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    ON THE GO...
    low carb roll up - tortilla or flat-bread
    ham
    bacon
    low fat provolone
    mustard of choice - or hot sauce

or

DINE IN...
    egg-white omelette (have to watch my cholesterol is why egg-whites)
    sausage
    cheese
    veggies
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    For this week, I made a frittata with chopped red bell pepper, crumbled Jennie O Lean turkey sausage, and 2 cups of egg substitute (can use real eggs, too). I baked it in a pie pan for about 30 minutes @ 350 degrees and have a slice each day. You could add cheese or whatever other veggies you like. It is filling and high in protein, low in carbs.

I have it with a carb on the side, but you could have something lower in carbs - berries, more veggies, etc.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    For this week, I made a frittata with chopped red bell pepper, crumbled Jennie O Lean turkey sausage, and 2 cups of egg substitute (can use real eggs, too). I baked it in a pie pan for about 30 minutes @ 350 degrees and have a slice each day. You could add cheese or whatever other veggies you like. It is filling and high in protein, low in carbs.

I have it with a carb on the side, but you could have something lower in carbs - berries, more veggies, etc.

Yeah, omelets and related dishes (crustless quiche) are great. If it works as a pizza topping it will work in an omelet.

Be cautious of yogurt. Some people on low carb diets find it is an instant "off" switch for weight loss for a day or two, probably by transiently altering gut flora. You'll have to experiment to see if it affects you this way or not.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am a sweet hound in the mornings....so, if I don't just have coffee, heavy cream, and stevia with English Toffee fragrance.....I love to have blueberry ricotta crepes. The crepes are so thin that you use very little flour (I make mine very "eggy") they are very low carb. I add ricotta cheese, a little splenda, and mashed blueberries (it does not take more than 15-20 berries to flavor each crepe). Then I slather it with loads of Land O Lakes Sugar Free whipped cream. Yumm!!

Add to that, two or three strips of bacon or Jimmy Dean Premium Lean ground sausage (3 patties).....and you have something that hits all the cravings, protein to carry you through the day......and you feel like you ate dessert.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I like Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt. I think most of them have 12g of carbs, plus 10-13g of protein.
  • Spicysausage2
    Options
    Why not go with oatmeal? Complex carbs with give you energy without the insuline spike

Try overnight oats with cocoa powder, hemp seeds, chia seeds, goji berry and a little bit of pure honey.

You can add a scoop of whey isolate as well.

That way you're still getting the energy you need from breakfast, plus the added energy boost/ good feel you get from these super foods.
  • Equus3nMom
    Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can check out my diary. I just made these jennie-o turkey sausage and egg white burritos. My 2 year old even gobbled it down.

Egg whites scrambled with bell peppers, spinach and cilantro.

Warmed multi-grain tortilla

Microwaved sausage link

Lay out the tortilla, sprinkle with low-fat mexican cheese blend, lay down the eggs and veggies, top with the suasage link and roll up. Delish!!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

Or you could probably scramble eggs with veggies and throw some sausage/bacon/xyz in there. Could actually make a big batch of that ahead even to save time in the morning.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I've been having a mozzarella and bacon omelette for breakfast. I feel really full for the whole day and it tastes great. 2 eggs, 30g mozzarella and one thick cut rasher of bacon is about 400 cals. You can make it lighter by losing the bacon or only using one egg. It has no carbs at all.
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    slice an avocado, put a cooked egg on it and some smoked salmon

Why the obsession with "breakfast" foods?

cus breakfast is the most delicious meal of the day?