Protein

Options
I tend to go over almost every day in protein. Not sure if this is too much to worry about. What are some good snacks with little or no protein!?

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with protien! I get about 100g a day at least.
  • runningroxy
    Options
    Thanks a bunch! Sorry to be repetitive!
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was told the more protein the better!
  • Marlys101
    Marlys101 Posts: 100
    Options
    I've had that same issue, lately. I don't mind if it doesn't mean I'm going to gain weight. :happy:
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I was searching the boards for something on the protien topic yesterday and didn't see the above posted article, so thanks!

I've only started a few days ago, but I'm thinking that the protein number is a goal, and not necessarily a limit. I keep going over the protein myself (one healthy dinner recipe has more protien in it than my whole day's allowance). I just hate that it shows up as a big red and negative number!
    Red numbers to me = BAD ! :noway: :laugh:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I usually get about twice my recommended protein. It's nothing you need to worry about as long as you don't have any kidney issues. Protein helps you feel fuller for longer, and is needed to help repair you muscles after exercising.

Going over on carbs and fats is what you need to worry about. The body can only process a certain amount of carbs and fats at one time. Getting more than you can process means the excess is stored as fat.
  • warrior_underdog
    Options
    Here's what Harvard has to say (from http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/What_you_need_to_know_about_calcium.htm):

High levels of protein, especially animal protein, alter blood chemistry so calcium leaches out of your bones. But there is no cutoff here, just a general word of caution.

And here's a nutrition article on the subject http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0887/is_1_18/ai_76283924/

Basically, after a certain point (like 20-25% of daily calories), protein intake won't help you much unless you're a body builder. But if you eat protein INSTEAD of refined carbs, research finds a benefit to a high protein diet. If you're eating tons of protein and also eating chips and pasta and such, then it's probably not that good. Most Americans get twice as much protein as they really need, and this is especially an issue for women because of the risk for osteoporosis. When protein is absorbed by the body, calcium is leaked out. That's just how it works. So if you eat too much protein, then you're releasing too much calcium. (This is one reason why drinking milk for calcium is silly. Eat broccoli instead hehe).

So depending on your workouts, gender, weight, and such, research around to see how much protein to eat. Definitely eat enough--but I caution going over, considering the research that has been done.

I'm cutting some weight so I'm eating 1200-1300 calories on nonworkout days, and at my 20% that's about 45-50 grams of protein. On days when I work out, I eat more but don't go over 20-25%. To each his/her own. Some like eating more protein, but you don't need tons of it.
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i try to get about 100 to 125g a day