Too Old for College?

Options
13»

Replies

• kev32uk
    kev32uk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Deff not too early, i'm 34 and just started University, a late bloomer i've been called :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Just as long as you're not correcting the history teacher and going "no, that wasn't how it went" you'll be fine.

hmm... I may have a problem then.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    There is no age limit; but I do have to add that when I was working on my Master's, I had to take a couple of additional undergrad courses at the comm college.

There are pros and cons to being the oldest person in the class. Pro: you are the oldest person in the class. Con: you are the oldest person in the class.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    When I was getting my degree I sat next to a 65 year old student.
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I went back at 30 myself and will graduate at 34. Don't know about other schools, but at my uni, seniors can enroll and earn credits, degrees, free of charge.

I will say this-make sure college/university is the right path. It is a lot of money and time commitment and if there is anyway to upgrade your skills without, go the other route. If I'd had the option, I would have taken some short certificate course or something.

I'm a single parent and committing and living with extreme poverty for 2 years has taken it's toll. Every school year and summer I struggle to make ends meet with many contract jobs. The good news, I now get part time work that pays $30/hr instead of minimum wage. The bad news, part time work is usually 5-50 hour contracts at a time, with no guarantees.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    No, not at all.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Nope! College professor here. I have students of all ages. The older folks sometimes lack recent experience with studying and being in school and taking some of the classes that the younger ones had recently. This is scary for them at first. BUT they usually end up putting the young ones to shame because they make up for the recent lack of school experience with a boatload of maturity, life experience, and work ethic. This is an investment of money you would be spending for your own growth or your family's financial future, so you want to get something from it. A lot of younger students just aren't at level yet...they are spending parents money because college is the next step after high school, but the don't have a clear vision for why they are there. Not all of them of course, I have lots of excellent students of all ages, but it is just easier to take school for granted when younger.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Options
    Go or it, you are never to old. I just turned 40 and im looking at options for doctorate degree in next 5 years. School challenges you and keeps your brain stimulated. Never let anyone convience you that ur too old!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    For me, age is not the question so much as am I willing to invest the time. Aging has brought into focus much more clearly that time is our most valuable commodity. That realization prompts me to prioritize what is the most important to me in the time I have remaining. Every day that passes is one I cannot reclaim and life teaches me that furthering our education is not always a matter of classroom knowledge.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 41 in October and I'm going back to college in January, to do a course that is generally for 16 to 18 year olds, I'm a bit nervous, but I am also really excited about it.....

What are you hoping to study??

xXx
  • autismmomx2
    autismmomx2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nope. I got my bachelor's degree at 38, and this summer began working toward my CCL in Paralegal Studies and I'm 41.
  • futureskinnibitch
    futureskinnibitch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Never. Both my parents got their degrees in their 40s. And I think my Grandma was in her 50s.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Never too late! I used to work at a vocational college and there was a lady in her 70s. My boss's wife went to school and got her RN after her children graduated from college. I think she's in her late 50s/early 60s.
  • litchfieldd
    litchfieldd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Nope, age is irrelevant. Got my first degree at 22, a masters at 28, a second bachelors degree at 37, finishing a second masters degree now at 39 before starting a PhD in October! Probably be finished once that's done....probably...
  • greenstar25
    greenstar25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is never a "too old" for anything. I know many examples of people who started s.th. late: my mother-in-law started a Ph.D. in her mid sixties, a women in my neighbourhood learned diving at 71 years old etc.