Metabolic Research Center

Options
Wondering if any of you have had experience with MRC. I joined in February of this year and lost 25 pounds. My contract was up in June so I kinda slipped (I added carbs back to my diet) and now I have gained back half of my weight. I feel as though I can never have carbs again and the weight just came back with a vengeance. I've heard a few people say that the program messed up their metabolism. I'm so lost on what I can and can't eat now...help!

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it.... What do they sell?
  • bombshellinprogress
    bombshellinprogress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's a weight loss clinic and it's basically a low carb diet. The only thing that you are required to purchase from them are their protein drinks (which are amazing).
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Wondering if any of you have had experience with MRC. I joined in February of this year and lost 25 pounds. My contract was up in June so I kinda slipped (I added carbs back to my diet) and now I have gained back half of my weight. I feel as though I can never have carbs again and the weight just came back with a vengeance. I've heard a few people say that the program messed up their metabolism. I'm so lost on what I can and can't eat now...help!

What you can eat:
    Anything you're not allergic or intolerant to

What you can't eat:
    Anything you're allergic or intolerant to

Really, it's that simple. The difficult part is limiting your total caloric intake to be less than what you're caloric output is. There is no need to reduce carbs, no need to drink special protein drinks, etc. Eat what you want, just eat less of it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I joined in February of this year and lost 25 pounds. My contract was up in June so I kinda slipped (I added carbs back to my diet) and now I have gained back half of my weight.

That tells me that their diet "plan", like most 'for profit' plans, may assist with short term weight loss, but are not sustainable over the long term.

Better to just learn sustainable healthy eating habits - focusing on portion control and macro/micro nutrients, and incorporating some exercise into your week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you considered just doing MFP.. it's free. Many of us can even set up a calorie target and macro breakout for yourself. And honestly, there is no reason to do low carb outside of a medical issue or satiety/diet adherence. Personally, i can't do anything less than 200g of carbs a day or my workouts highly suffer.

If you want to post your height, weight, age, workout routine and if you have medical conditions, then we can give you a good plan to start on.

But no, I have not dealt with them either.
  • bombshellinprogress
    bombshellinprogress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just doing MFP.. it's free. Many of us can even set up a calorie target and macro breakout for yourself. And honestly, there is no reason to do low carb outside of a medical issue or satiety/diet adherence. Personally, i can't do anything less than 200g of carbs a day or my workouts highly suffer.

If you want to post your height, weight, age, workout routine and if you have medical conditions, then we can give you a good plan to start on.

Do I just go under Goals to do that?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Do I just go under Goals to do that?

If you want MFP to set up your calories, yes you would go under goals. If you do that, set your account to 1 lb per week. If you want to follow the TDEE method (very popular on MFP), you can either post all the information I request or PM me the information and I will post in this thread.

With the MFP method, you can also modify your macros a bit because protein and fats are a little low. Ideally, a person should aim for .8-1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass. Unfortunately, MFP follows FDA's guidelines which don't meet those standards.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's a weight loss clinic and it's basically a low carb diet. The only thing that you are required to purchase from them are their protein drinks (which are amazing).
    Sounds like a low carb fad diet honestly.
  • krupscafe
    krupscafe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost twenty pounds and kept it off for a few years.
    Eventually I gained it back but knew something wasn't right with me. I take responsibility for the first ten but not the next ten.
    Doctor figured out my thyroid was functioning at about 1/3, is working on fixing that and made it possible for me to lose again with diet and exercise.
    I lost about six pounds on my own just to be sure my body was ready to lose, then went back to MRC.
    It is the only program that has taken weight evenly off my body and even my hips! (I'm pear-shaped)
    I feel good on their program and contentedly continued to eat their basic food plan for breakfast and lunch.
    Too many BBQ's, drinks and thyroid issues are what put it back on.

Barring any other medical/physical issues, I can see myself eating this was forever. I feel great!