Do you take a rest day?

Options
Hi all!

Just wondering how often I should be taking a "rest day". I am doing JUST cardio (elleptical) daily and am seeing success so far ;)

How important is it for a rest day when not weight training?

Thanks so much.

Replies

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Of course you should try to take a rest day once a week. Having said that, personally I do not schedule one. They always tend to happen naturally, and then sometimes they happen 2 days in a row. lol So I just let my world decide for me.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Part of the Ashtanga yoga practise is to practise 6 days in every seven, so yes I take a rest day where I will simply take a walk or do some gardening. It helps to release the mind from becoming too focussed on targets and goals.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's useful to change the mode of training, so cross train, rather than doing the same thing every day. It means that different body parts get a chance to rest whilst maintaining activity levels.

With that in mind I run four or five days per week, cycle a couple of times per week and row. I generally have one day off completely, although that's driven by diary as much as anything else.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I hate rest days, I do. But with running, my body needs them. Your body probably needs them too- i heard it helps your muscles repair, blah blah blah. I do notice that as much as I hate them, that my body loves them.

But like someone said, I don't have a set day every week that is my rest day, i look at what life has going on and then it naturally happens.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I do something everyday.
    M-F one hour on the elliptical or treadmill.
    Long walks on weekends, usually several hours both Saturday and Sunday.
    I was totally sedentary for too many years, and walking is good for you.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I train hard for two days, then take one day "off" (but still walk a lot, do a little yoga, just something to get moving). My body responds much better on the next training day when I organize my workouts like this.
  • JennyStixx
    JennyStixx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all ;)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have settled into early morning running 5 days a week, Nautilus set three days a week, Planks 5 days a week. Saturday and Sunday I have off. It just fit into my schedule that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The more intense your workouts are, the more important rest days are. The elliptical isn't a particularly grueling or intense workout...I'm pretty sure you could do that daily without any problems.

Beyond that, ones rest day doesn't mean they have to be sitting around doing nothing. I still walk a good 3 miles or so on rest days...my rest days are just rest from vigorous and intense activity to allow my body to recover.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Recovery is required. Rest is relative.

For example, someone just starting to run should plan on days off. Many beginning running programs are 3 days a week for that reason. People who have been running for years may run 7 days a week, but still have easy recovery days. Shorter distances at a relaxed pace give the rest and recovery they need. Personally i found at my peak i still only ran 6 days a week, with 3 hard days, 3 easy days and 1 day off. It was what I needed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The more intense your workouts are, the more important rest days are. The elliptical isn't a particularly grueling or intense workout...I'm pretty sure you could do that daily without any problems.

Beyond that, ones rest day doesn't mean they have to be sitting around doing nothing. I still walk a good 3 miles or so on rest days...my rest days are just rest from vigorous and intense activity to allow my body to recover.

indeed.

but- just want to throw this in there as well... if you have a rest day- and you actually don't do anything?

that's totally fine. Doing nothing and allowing you're body to recover is FINE.

My one day 'off' is Thursday. Otherwise I almost always have something going on- lifting 3 days a week and then dance 3-4 days a week. So when I have a down day- I use it to the fullest extent of my "do nothing" powers.

And that- is just FINE. :)

rest is important- how when and how much is highly variable.
  • BlueStarBoi
    BlueStarBoi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sundays are my rest day, that doesn't mean i sit on the couch all day but it's the only day i don't go to the Gym.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Depends what you do. I never have a total sedentary day. But on the weekends I do a 2 hour walk and that's it. Those are my recovery days.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I make sundays my rest day, because honestly I hate waiting until the gyms open at 1oclock to go work out haha
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I take one every day. :( j/k :P I try to take Sunday off, but I don't like sitting around the house, it's boring, so most Sundays I end up doing something more strenuous than my normal cardio :-S
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I take a rest day every Wednesday. By Monday and Tuesday I can feel, especially in my legs, that they are getting real sick of my s***. I work out really hard on the weekends. On Thursday I feel amazing and can bust through a work out like a BOSS.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of a rest day UNTIL I don't take it and then I have a sudden change of heart lol.
    So I take a rest day (maximum 2) whenever I feel I need one in the week. So I don't have a specific day for it, just when I know my muscles need a break.
    Just follow your body's signals, don't ignore them. Leads to injury and exhaustion!
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I take a rest day every Sunday, and my only morning workout day is Saturday (M-F happens when I get home from work, before dinner). I'll still do a walk or something fun/outdoors on the weekend, so I'm not just sitting around. But, I'm not working hard either.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym weights and/or cardio 6 days a week. I do take Sunday off, but usually take a walk on the beach or bike ride with my family.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sunday is a day of rest :)