Sam's Club.

Options
agartin
agartin Posts: 274 Member
We are taking a trip to Sam's club today.

What are some things I can buy in bulk to put on my list? I noticed that since I started my weight loss jouney, I'm in the grocery store more often to buy healthier and fresh produce. How can I be shopper savvy at Sam's Club and not ruin my hard work thus far?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    they have hummus for cheap in HUGE quantities...its is great!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Depending on the store, they have a good selection of both fresh and frozen fruit. Sam's is where I usually buy my chicken breasts since I seem to eat them a lot. Buy the big package and then spend a little time at home repackaging them into smaller amounts depending on your family size.
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow Cheese :love:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Frozen skinless chicken breast, shrimp, and un seasoned frozen fish (if you eat it). Frozen veggies like broccoli and green beans. Cans of tuna, oatmeal, and bottled water.
  • StefanieGuz
    Options
    There tons of stuff you can buy there in bulk.... chicken... there organic greens salad mix is great... lasts me almost 3 weeks..... the sell almonds really cheap.... yogurt... silk milk... they have a bunch of stuff.... you just have to look for it.... their produce department is filling with lots of fruits an veggies on the cheap....

have fun shopping...
  • bluemartini6
    Options
    I always buy the pack of red orange and yellow bell peppers. Salad is cheap but we never eat it all (still cheaper than grocery store though). Also check out individual bags of snacks -I find I need to buy these to keep me from eating the SAMs quantity before it's stale.

Anyone know if SAMs has cottage cheese. We've been eating so much of it lately I'd prefer it in bulk!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,436 Member
    Options
    I always buy the pack of red orange and yellow bell peppers. Salad is cheap but we never eat it all (still cheaper than grocery store though). Also check out individual bags of snacks -I find I need to buy these to keep me from eating the SAMs quantity before it's stale.

Anyone know if SAMs has cottage cheese. We've been eating so much of it lately I'd prefer it in bulk!

yes they do have cottage cheese and I noticed today that our Sam's has Chobani plain greek yogurt in the large tubs as well as the flavored Chobani. I also buy my ground turkey, all my dairy, egg whites (not egg beaters), bread and canadian bacon. Basically, if it's something I use normally, I'll buy it at Sam's. With 2 teenage boys, we go through everything quickly.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Frozen skinless chicken breast, shrimp, and un seasoned frozen fish (if you eat it). Frozen veggies like broccoli and green beans. Cans of tuna, oatmeal, and bottled water.

These are good suggestions, except for the tuna. Canned tuna is very high in mercury and also contains BPA that has leached out of the can. Getting salmon in the pouches is much better because it has higher amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids, does not have the high mercury levels, and doesn't get contaminated by BPA.

@ckmama, if you don't already know, canned tuna should not be eaten by pregnant women! Studies have shown that babies whose mothers consumed more canned tuna than is considered safe have higher levels of mercury in their brains. It is theorized that high levels of mercury and other heavy metals is a contributing factor in what causes autism.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I buy my skinless chicken breasts there (fat is hand-trimmed). Also, the Quaker Oats cocoa granola bars are GREAT for a chocolate fix-only 90 calories!! Bolthouse baby carrots and organic cucumbers. My mom and I sometimes get the salad mix (spring and dark leafy) and split it. The Santa Fe whole grain tortillas are wonderful as well. I think my mom has bought her liquid egg whites there. There are two kinds of almonds, cocoa and habanero BBQ, that are really good. Good luck!
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options

What is hummus? :embarassed:
  • Pullwench
    Options
    I stick with the egg beaters. They come in packs of 4 (16oz) for $8.

Also, if you don't have one, think about investing into a food saver (vacuum sealer). I buy most of my meats at Sam's and Costco and it works great for marinating.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    They have some awesome garlic and mozzarella chicken brats that are only 120 calories each. We also get the turkey breasts. And (its naughty) they have a delicious pork loin crusted with bacon. YUM! We just had one on Sunday.
  • Pullwench
    Options
    hummus is essentially ground up chickpeas usually mixed with some type of spice or other flavoring.
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options

What is hummus? :embarassed:

Mostly squished chickpeas. :) About 50 calories and 2g protein for a 2 TBSP Serving.

ETA: I don't actually like hummus... it's a weird texture to me... but it's supposed to be a great dip alternative.
  • Pullwench
    Options
    OOh and they also have a chicken sausage with apple bits in it...pretty good actually.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

These are good suggestions, except for the tuna. Canned tuna is very high in mercury and also contains BPA that has leached out of the can. Getting salmon in the pouches is much better because it has higher amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids, does not have the high mercury levels, and doesn't get contaminated by BPA.

@ckmama, if you don't already know, canned tuna should not be eaten by pregnant women! Studies have shown that babies whose mothers consumed more canned tuna than is considered safe have higher levels of mercury in their brains. It is theorized that high levels of mercury and other heavy metals is a contributing factor in what causes autism.

Here is the FDA Recommendation:
    However, nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury. For most people, the risk from mercury by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern. Yet, some fish and shellfish contain higher levels of mercury that may harm an unborn baby or young child's developing nervous system. The risks from mercury in fish and shellfish depend on the amount of fish and shellfish eaten and the levels of mercury in the fish and shellfish. Therefore, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are advising women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children to avoid some types of fish and eat fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

1.Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
    2.Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

Here's the link : http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/product-specificinformation/seafood/foodbornepathogenscontaminants/methylmercury/ucm115662.htm

Or you can see this site where it recommends chunk light tuna
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

And just b/c I recommended it doesn't mean I eat it, the smell makes me sick.