When to weigh in?

Options
What day or time is the best to weigh in? I'm weight weekly and only 1 time per week.

I recently started working out and watching my calories and I gained 3lbs. I know my body is holding on to water for recovery and things of that nature so is it best to have my weigh in like the morning after rest day where I have my rest day to kind of flush the excess water weight? I have about 80lbs to lose so I know that it will come off it's just alarming to jump on the scale after you've nailed your fitness and nutrition for 7 days in a row and see it went UP 3lbs!

Replies

• Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    In the morning before breakfast after you've been to the toilet.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do once weekly from Sunday night through all day Monday and record the lowest reading. Then I don't look at the scale for another week.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

What he said.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    As long as it's the same time of day, it doesn't matter much. Mornings after you get up are usually at the lowest for most people. That's when I weigh in.
  • ChrisUK70
    ChrisUK70 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning before breakfast, but I am a bit obsessive and weigh myself every day but only update MFP on a Tuesday.

Measuring your waist is a good way of keeping check of progress, some weeks I have not shifted much weight but have lost an inch on my waist.
  • knitknitknit
    knitknitknit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter so long as you're consistent. Your "truest" weight is probably first thing in the AM, after you pee but before you eat.
  • Lindsay0405
    Options
    What day of the week though? Like the first morning of my 6 day workout week? Which would be the day following rest day or does it really matter?

Just super frustrating to climb on the scale after having 6 good workouts and 6 good days of nutrition and GAINING 4lbs.
  • jedimonkey
    jedimonkey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh in on a Sunday morning as soon as I have woke up and visited the toilet for a pee. I always get on the scales before eating or drinking anything. Just pick a day/time where you will be consistent. sunday also stops me going off the rails on a friday or saturday ;)
  • Jlr43
    Jlr43 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning before you eat.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

QFT
  • jmill155
    jmill155 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

This.
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    10:37 am on the dot. Any other time will lead to complete and absolute failure.

Truth!

But all serious, What matters in doing it the same day and time every week.

I personally and have gotten true scale readings by doing it First thing in the morning after using the bathroom on my rest day.
    I workout Mon-Fri, and use Saturday as a cheat day if I am going to have one.

So every Saturday morning(1st Rest day), after using the bathroom, and before breakfast is my best time to gauge my weekly results. Also remember if you're wearing clothes when you weigh in make sure you wearing the same thing every time, though you shouldn't weigh in fully clothed. I'm sure you know that though.
  • valkaree
    valkaree Posts: 519
    Options
    Monday morning first thing after you pee like mentioned above. Here are some tips for water weight I have noticed:

1) Be consistent in drinking a lot of water. I drink about a gallon everyday. If I fall short I gain a lb or two in water weight the next morning

2) sodium greatly affect water weight. Be consistent. The more sodium you eat the more water you will retain especially if you are not drinking a lot of water.

3) Caffeine is weird. I will pee a lot right after drinking it but will retain more water is I weigh myself the next day. The key is to be consistent in how much and when you drink it the day before your weigh-in

4) Ibuprofen is the DEVIL when it comes to retaining water. I can hold up to 5lbs of extra water within 12hours of taking it. I don't take it the day before I weigh-in.

I hope that helps.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm typically a daily weigher, first thing in the morning after I use the bathroom. I don't let if frustrate me too much if I vary a pound or 2, I kind of find it interesting how the body fluctuates daily. And I've come too far to give up that easily. Good luck!
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    BFDeal, that is so funny..... (but all kidding aside)
    It does not matter what day of the week, even if you have rested or not.
    The weight gain you experienced was probably not all water, but the fact that you are building muscle.
    As everyone knows, muscle is heaver than fat. If you are looking to loose weight faster, do more cardio (walking or running) and not as much lifting.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    What day of the week though? Like the first morning of my 6 day workout week? Which would be the day following rest day or does it really matter?

Just super frustrating to climb on the scale after having 6 good workouts and 6 good days of nutrition and GAINING 4lbs.
    Doesn't matter, like everyone is saying, as long as you consistently weigh on the same day. You won't gain every week if you weigh in after a workout day. But you're lowest weight will usually be the morning after a rest day - again, as long as you pick the same day every week, it should give you a good indication.
  • Itslozzamate
    Options
    First thing in the morning before breakfast, every monday :)
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning after bathroom and before breakfast.
    I don't take it to heart. I log it and forget. After 2-3 weeks I look at the graph on MFP to see if the slope is downwards.
    But I have very little to lose plus I have a small deficit in my daily goal so it's hard to see progress now that it's slower. This way I can get a better sense of the trend.
  • sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has their own "best day" to weigh in. Typically mine is Sunday, because I've rested on Sat night and gotten a lot of sleep. Also, my habit is to have a couple of cups of coffee first, and hang around watching news, etc, till it all "processes through", and then go to shower, so I weigh just before I jump in the shower. I actually weigh myself every morning more or less this way but Sunday is always my best weight and that's the one I enter.