Weight Training and Weight Loss?

Options
Hi guys,

So, I for the last month I really got serious about diet and exercise. I first weighed myself at 319 (5'9 and 24 y/o) and that was my big wake up call. Since July 1 I've been doing lifting weights 3 times a week and have been doing Spin classes 2-3 times a week as well. I've lost 6 pounds overall.

My diet is not poor, I stay under MFP calorie's for the day and at the end of logging in my food for the day, it always says either low 300's or 295 or something for the "if every day were like today" screen.

At the rate I am not losing weight, yet my calorie intake is low, does anyone have any idea of what could be hindering the process.

The only thing I can think of is the weight lifting? I started doing weight training is because I heard that it was better for fat loss than JUST cardio alone, but is this is what's stopping me from seeing 5 lbs lost a week, like I've seen before on previous weight loss tries?

Hopefully that all made sense.

Thank You!

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    First of all - 5lb weight loss a week is very unlikely. You can't expect long term results from crash diets or cutting too many calories.

MFP rarely sets you at the appropriate calorie intake. Get familiar with BMR and TDEE. Read the bottom two links. They will help you learn how to change your lifestyle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edit: I lost weight without weight training. Started lifting weights recently and the scale stayed the same for a while then continued to lose. You can't gain a lot of muscle eating at a calorie defecit. Take pictures as well, and measurements.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    The fact that you haven't lost weight at your size says to me that you're not counting calories correctly. When your bigger you should be losing quickly in the first few weeks, nothing in a month states that you're not counting correctly.

Would you mind opening your diary? Do you measure your food out or eyeball it?
  • Ranidan2
    Ranidan2 Posts: 13
    Options
    The recommended weight loss maximum is 2 pounds per week. I know it's frustrating to know it will be many months if not years to reach the fitness level you want, but it really is the only healthy way. As for the weight training, here's the issue: when you lose weight, you lose both lean muscle and fat. Training your muscles will cause a larger percentage of your weight loss to be from fat. If your lean mass gets too low, your weight loss will stall because your body is attempting to save your muscle.

TL;DR Your weight loss is pretty much on track, hang in there. It will take time, but in the end it will be a permanent change that you'll be very proud of.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? Can you open you diary? And I wouldn't stop weight training. The issue is you either have some water retention or your expectations are too aggressive.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You may be not eating enough if you are at that weight and eating under MFP's - it it could be what you're eating in addition to the calories. I find weight training helps you burn while not exercising - ie. now if I take a rest day, I don't see a jump in weight like I used to. Strength is also pretty important to me for my sport, so I definitely encourage weight training.