TIME

Options
How do all you gym bunnies find the time.

I get up at 6.30am go to work and then don't get home till just before 7pm in the three hours before bed (I need 8 hours sleep otherwise I cannot function) I need to make dinner sort out lunch do any washing and chill a bit. I manage to get in a 30/40 min run but I don't have time for much else how does everyone get in so many hours of exercise?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Needing 8 hrs of sleep kind of kills the suggestion of getting up earlier... (I'm a morning person) I'm also lucky in that my kids are older now and require less maintenance (I'll do things like go for a run while my daughter has soccer practice....)

Do you get a lunch break? Is there a gym close to where you work?

I see that you're looking after domestic chores too.......perhaps your SO (if you have one) could help out more around the house to free up some time for you?
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    A 24 hour gym just recently opened up near our house which enabled me to start attending. I go after the wife and kids are tucked into bed at night, so it doesn't interfere with any family time. My workouts usually last just a touch over an hour.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I don't live with my boyfriend so I have to do my own washing and cleaning.

The Gym opening times are not an issue it's just that it's a treak to the gym and my gym workout is 2 hours long so I can only really do it at the weekend.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Home workout. Wii Zumba burns a fair amount of calories (600/hr or so). Could fit in a 30 minute one a couple times a week and maybe a longer one on the weekend. Just a thought.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options

The Gym opening times are not an issue it's just that it's a treak to the gym and my gym workout is 2 hours long so I can only really do it at the weekend.

A gym workout doesn't have to be 2 hours long. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, but rarely for more than an hour at a time. This + walking pretty much everywhere I need to go (within reason) = burning a whole lot of calories.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Multi-tasking works for me. I can do leg lifts and squats while drying my hair in the morning. Walk laps around the kitchen while waiting for the water to boil. Bought a cheap stepper that I use while watching TV. I take walks at work, around the building several times during the day. Or do it indoors when it rains. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park further from the building.

We also got stand-up desks at work, that we can raise to stand or lower to sit. I try to stand a bit longer every day, and do a lot of fidgeting while I stand.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You will make it a priority if you want it to be one.

I wake up at 4:30am to go to the gym - then get to work by 7:30am - get off of work at 4pm - do my online classes for school - then bed around 10/11pm and repeat.

You can function on less than 8 hours of sleep, you just don't want to.

edited to fix something
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Being that you need 8 hours of sleep to get through your day (and yes some people may not be able to fully function where they need to if they don't get enough sleep) then I would suggest doing extra stuff when you are home like someone had suggested or work something in during your lunch.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Why do you think you need to work out for 2 hours?

Do a shorter workout. Workout at home. Go for a run or a walk after work. Find a closer gym.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I used to get only 45 minute for lunch when I worked in the hospital lab.

I would snarf down my lunch and get at least a 30 minute fast walk most days.
    Then a quick walk when I got home

I have also done DVDs at home

You can do this.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

2 hour long workout?

Ramp up the intensity and go much less. No reason your gym workout needs to be 2 hours long.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just do it because I HAVE to. I made excuses for too long, and didn't make myself a priority, so when I started working out in March, my family knew it was important to me, they all pitched in to help out. I guess I would say get up earlier, I know you mentioned needing 8 hours of sleep, but if it were me, I would learn to live with 7 hours of sleep and a good workout every morning because I am worth the effort.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I get up at 6.30am go to work and then don't get home till just before 7pm in the three hours before bed (I need 8 hours sleep otherwise I cannot function) I need to make dinner sort out lunch do any washing and chill a bit. I manage to get in a 30/40 min run but I don't have time for much else how does everyone get in so many hours of exercise?

30-40 minutes of weight training is about all I do. Okay, it's closer to 45 minutes, but I only do it 3x a week. You don't have to work out for hours in order to have results. Go for walks whenever you have a few minutes. I walk on my lunch and all my breaks at work, and I push the baby in the stroller in the evenings for a few minutes. That's it. I don't get 8 hours of sleep, but if I wanted to, I could.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm misunderstanding? You say you run 30-40 minutes?
    Are you saying you can only do this once a week or are you saying you do this daily? If daily there's your workout right there!!:happy::drinker:
    Multi-tasking works for me. I can do leg lifts and squats while drying my hair in the morning. Walk laps around the kitchen while waiting for the water to boil. Bought a cheap stepper that I use while watching TV. I take walks at work, around the building several times during the day. Or do it indoors when it rains. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park further from the building.

We also got stand-up desks at work, that we can raise to stand or lower to sit. I try to stand a bit longer every day, and do a lot of fidgeting while I stand.
    Great ideas here and they do add up!! Little changes turn into big changes:flowerforyou:
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    30-45 minutes a day is fine, I mean if you can do a 2 hour workout then obviously power on.

My day starts at 4:30am, go to the gym at work, shower and then work till 4:00, come home, start dinner, feed, bathe and put baby to bed. Then finish making dinner/eat with husband. Clean up, get lunches ready for the next day..pack my gym bag..maybe watch a half hour of tv and then go to bed..not much time but I have to make at least an hour or so to get in a work out. You have to make the effort and clear the time otherwise it just doesn't happen.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I wake up at 4:30am to go to the gym - then get to work by 7:30am - get off of work at 4pm - do my online classes for school - then bed around 10/11pm and repeat.

edited to fix something

t^^^^this 1000xxxxx
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If you want something you make time for it even if something else suffers. Work out your priorities.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

edited to fix something
    I call bull on this comment!

You have NO clue how much each persons body needs to sleep, everyone is different, different ages require different amount, health issues demand a different amount. Seems she'd be far more aware how much her body needs than you would. If it works for you to get less sleep so be it but don't go telling another person that they are the same as you!

What a silly comment to say to someone asking for help "you just don't want to. How ridiculous to tell another person what they feel they need is not what you need.

Come on get real, the OP is 34, you're 21, now that I see how young you are I can see a comment being made like above. Age truly does make a different in needs.

Yes someone can sleep 4 hours and feel it's enough, but because we think it's enough doesn't mean our body thinks it is.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

edited to fix something

You have NO clue how much each persons body needs to sleep, everyone is different, different ages require different amount, health issues demand a different amount. Seems she'd be far more aware how much her body needs than you would. If it works for you to get less sleep so be it but don't go telling another person that they are the same as you!

What a silly comment to say to someone asking for help "you just don't want to. How ridiculous to tell another person

I can function on 6 hours of sleep. I weekends I usually get a little less. I know people who function on less. My dad was functioning on less than 8 hours of sleep since I was born. Just because you need 8 hours of sleep does not mean everyone does.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

edited to fix something

What a silly comment to say to someone asking for help "you just don't want to. How ridiculous to tell another person

I didn't think I could function on less than 8 hours of sleep. Then I had a baby.

You can push your body to do amazing things if you let it.

But I think it's a moot point. She's already doing 30-40 minutes of exercise, which is enough time to make a difference on her body.