Is this a good idea? i need easy body cleanse/detox ideas.

Options
anooch
anooch Posts: 11 Member
So I want to do a bit of a cleanse on my body.

I want to try, for 2 or 3 days, to not eat any bread, rice, or pasta. I eat brown of all three, and usually not much, but i feel like my body could do without for a few days.

I would focus on eating only fruits, vegetables (cooked and raw), and protein such as eggs and chicken breast.

would this do anything to my body?

also, do you know of any really simple at home cleanse/detox recipes? I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it's not extreme. :)

Replies

• oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Not gonna do anything. Besides might make u wanna binge on the things u prohibit to urself.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You are aware there are carbs in fruit and vegetables, right?

Detox / cleanses are a marketing scam. They literally do nothing.... NOTHING.

If you want to feel good... eat within your calories and exorcise.
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    Unless your kidneys have failed you, you don't need a detox/cleanse. Save your money and energy.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I want to try, for 2 or 3 days, to not eat any bread, rice, or pasta. I eat brown of all three, and usually not much, but i feel like my body could do without for a few days.

I would focus on eating only fruits, vegetables (cooked and raw), and protein such as eggs and chicken breast.

also, do you know of any really simple at home cleanse/detox recipes? I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it's not extreme. :)

Can you tell me specifically what the end goal is with this process?

Meaning, can you describe what it is you hope to accomplish with the above?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

UGH. These posts kill me.

Your body has its own "detox" system, namely the liver and kidneys. There are no magical toxins you are expelling by drinking a certain juice or only eating certain foods. It is scientifically impossible. What exactly do you think you are achieving by putting yourself through this?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Detoxes & Cleanses have ZERO proven benefits. Your body already has a great filtering system in place... it's called your liver & kidneys .

If you want to cut carbs for a few days, fine, but it's not really going to do anything for you. You're just not eating pasta/bread/rice for a few days. It does nothing.

Cutting out foods doesn't really do anything useful either unless you're trying to find food allergies or you've been directed to do so by a doctor.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    do you know of any really simple at home cleanse/detox recipes?
    Absolutely unnecessary. Your body (liver & kidneys) do all the cleansing & detoxing you need.
    If they're not working, you have more problems than can be solved by avoiding certain foods.
    Eat more fiber & water & you'll help your intestines work better. That's about as much help as your body needs.

Go use the search function & have a look at how many threads there already are discussing "detox" or "cleanse".
    Every. Single. One. Tells people the same thing: it's a scam, don't do it, save your money, save your health, eat real food.
    I want to try, for 2 or 3 days, to not eat any bread, rice, or pasta.
    Probably won't hurt, other than making you want to eat the things you're avoiding.
    But it also probably won't accomplish anything other than reducing your carb intake.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    You're not really talking about a cleanse. You're talking about carb restriction for a couple days. Fruits, veg, and lean meats are a decent way to eat. Losing the carbs for a couple days will help you create a deficit, probably deplete a little of the energy reserves in your muscles and liver. It will show you a little drop on the scale. In the end, as long as you're not replacing those carbs for the couple days, it might help you lose an actual half pound.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's not going to "do naything" to your body, but if you think it will make you feel better - than do it, because, it's not going to do anything bad either. 3 days without bread and rice and pasta seems pretty easy - there are lots of other things you can eat - again, not sure there will be any significant benefit - but I would try it for the research / trying someth8ing new factor anyway!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Your plan is not going to have a huge effect but it won't harm you either. Cleanses and detoxes differ. A cleanse generally increases elimination which may lead to dehydration. Detoxes are meant to strengthen your immune system as well as strengthen and support your liver and kidney function. They don't increase elimination to the point of dehydration but there are systemic effects. One of the easiest home detox recipes is fresh lemon juice in warm water. You can find a wide range of home cleanses and detox recipes doing a Google search. Certain dietary supplements also detox the body. Again, do your research. Never take a dietary supplement without doing the research as they can interact with other dietary supplements or pharmaceuticals or they may have other negative side effects.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Your plan is not going to have a huge effect but it won't harm you either. Cleanses and detoxes differ. A cleanse generally increases elimination which may lead to dehydration. Detoxes are meant to strengthen your immune system as well as strengthen and support your liver and kidney function. They don't increase elimination to the point of dehydration but there are systemic effects. One of the easiest home detox recipes is fresh lemon juice in warm water. You can find a wide range of home cleanses and detox recipes doing a Google search. Certain dietary supplements also detox the body. Again, do your research. Never take a dietary supplement without doing the research as they can interact with other dietary supplements or pharmaceuticals or they may have other negative side effects.

Dont listen to this person.

No such thing as a detox unless you are in the hospital.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I find my gas is reduced when I eat less pasta haha.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Like everyone here has said, not really needed. However, if you want to help your liver/kidneys doing the things they always do you can just eat whole foods (like you suggest) and drink a ton a ton of water. Everything else is just hype.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Not gonna do anything. Besides might make u wanna binge on the things u prohibit to urself.
    Probably!!

I felt impatient when I first got started...wanted it to happen NOW!
    Why don't you just log your food and exercise for 2-3 weeks and see what happens?
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Drink water... lots of water. Your kidneys and liver will do their jobs and flush your body for you.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Like everyone here has said, not really needed. However, if you want to help your liver/kidneys doing the things they always do you can just eat whole foods (like you suggest) and drink a ton a ton of water. Everything else is just hype.

No everything else is not just hype. Cranberry extract is routinely used to support the kidneys and silymarin is used to support the liver. Both are often recommended to patients by their doctors. As I said, do your research!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Unless your kidneys have failed you, you don't need a detox/cleanse. Save your money and energy.

And if your kidneys have failed...got to a doctor, don't drink a bunch of juice.
  • benchsquad65
    benchsquad65 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Dumb idea. My grandfather used to mine coal for 14 hours a day, and he ate steak, eggs, mashed potatoes, and whatever was available. If he felt like he needed to lose weight, he ate a little less simple as that.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options

No everything else is not just hype. Cranberry extract is routinely used to support the kidneys and silymarin is used to support the liver. Both are often recommended to patients by their doctors. As I said, do your research!

There is a difference between "Vitamin C helps prevent Scurvy" and "lemon water eliminates unnamed and unknown TOXINS (somehow)."
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

No need to cleanse. Just eat plenty of healthy foods and drink adequate amounts of water.