should i eat my exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Trust, if you don't have to feel like this, you dont' want to!!! Up those calories, hit that net, you'll be amazed how much better you feel physically AND mentally.

To me, this is one of the things that's hardest for people (including myself) to understand. I think a lot of people go into it thinking:

I'll lower my cals. I'll lose weight. I'm eating healthy stuff. I'm losing weight and eating healthy stuff. Ergo, I must be healthy.

SO NOT TRUE! Millions of thin people out there are quite unhealthy.

For many people, the visual is so important. They focus on what's going on "outside" (ie scale, measurements, etc), without really considering what's going on inside. Even though you may not FEEL it much for a while, too few cals over time will wear. your. heart. out. It will cause organ damage. And no, I'm not trying to "hype" the subject, but I think a lot of people really aren't aware of the damage than can occur over the long term.

Aside from physical, your brain requires calories (AND CARBS AND FATS) to run. Ever feel just really discombobulated? Can't think? Can't focus? Think about what and how much you've been eating. I did this for YEARS. And I even knew I was doing it and knew the effects (denial and stubborness are incredibly powerful.) If you don't give your body AND your brain enough fuel, they don't work right.

It's pretty eye-opening when you actually start doing things right. I'm losing weight. Eh...great. I'm glad, and I'm proud. But you know what - I'd keep it all and gain 100 more ...if I could still feel the way I do when I'm doing what's right for my physical AND mental health. Thankfully, they actually go together.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You know the thing i noticed the most when i upped my calories & was netting 1200? I realized just how HUNGRY I used to be. I'm NOT HUNGRY anymore. I'm very fullfilled. I don't feel deprived, I don't LONG for meals like I used to. I don't sit by the clock waiting for my next meal. I don't obsess over food. I'M IN CONTROL NOW. I never realized how hungry I was when I was eating 1200 and burning that way. I think I had it so plastered into my mind that this was how it had to be, that i didn't even realize how brutal i was making it. I eat 3 meals a day now, and 3 snacks. NOW sometimes i look at the clock and think ... oh crap, i gotta get that snack goin :) instead of looking at the clock thinking ....omg another WHOLE hour before i can eat my snack?

Trust, if you don't have to feel like this, you dont' want to!!! Up those calories, hit that net, you'll be amazed how much better you feel physically AND mentally.

YES! I feel the same way. I have to remind myself to eat as well. Seems like the time between meals flies by sometimes. Eating often has stopped the crazy cravings that used to make me want to eat my co-workers.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    3 meals and 3 snacks is definitely the way to go (atleast for me) these past 2 days i've felt FANTASTIC!!! I havent' felt this good in a long time.
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 2 sometimes 3 snacks each day but still dont reach 1200 net calories. I tried to do that over the weekend and ended up with bad acid reflex. So now how do I go about losing weight? I go back to my regualr doc on Monday and Im going to see what he has to say but anyone have any suggestions for me? I only do the 30 Shred for exerice right now so its not alot of calories that I'm needing to make up. I have a really hard time making up those exercise calories
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 2 sometimes 3 snacks each day but still dont reach 1200 net calories. I tried to do that over the weekend and ended up with bad acid reflex. So now how do I go about losing weight? I go back to my regualr doc on Monday and Im going to see what he has to say but anyone have any suggestions for me? I only do the 30 Shred for exerice right now so its not alot of calories that I'm needing to make up. I have a really hard time making up those exercise calories

it takes a while to get your body used to eating more. It will. Up the calories slowly over a month or so, give yourself an extra 50 to 100 calories a day and hold steady there for a week, you'll get to what you need to soon enough. And you gave your body time to adjust so it didn't immediately store all the extra as fat.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

I had trouble with this at first. I was way under and was forcing myself to eat. Generally this indicates too litle protein, good fats and good carbs. I try to make sure I have some of each in every meal. Chicken, fish, nuts, beans, avocado, whole grains.

Make your meals/snacks count, and I think you'll find it a little easier to meet cal goals.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

it takes a while to get your body used to eating more. It will. Up the calories slowly over a month or so, give yourself an extra 50 to 100 calories a day and hold steady there for a week, you'll get to what you need to soon enough. And you gave your body time to adjust so it didn't immediately store all the extra as fat.

Banks! My hero! Just...well...hi :bigsmile:
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Wow I am new to this site and new to the idea of tracking calories. I never thought by not eating the calories that I earned from working out I might be doing something bad. I guess I still need to do some more research. Thanks to everyone post for helping me understand more.
  • janski2
    janski2 Posts: 70
    Options
    Wouldn't be easier just not to exercise?
  • OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I feel! The last time I lost a bunch of weight, I was SO HUNGRY all the time. Watching the clock, waiting for my next meal... it's no way to live.
    So when I went back to my old eating habits I thought that I might never be that lean again, because dieting that way is not worth it.

This time I've set my goal to 0.5 pound per week, though sometimes I allow myself to fall short of the net calories by 250 or so, since that is equivalent to 1 pound per week. But no more than that.

I feel like I'm eating like a regular person - just a healthy regular person. And I can see myself eating this way for a very long time.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Depends on what you mean by "easier". You will not lose weight as fast, if you don't exercise - and you most certainly won't be as healthy.

Exercise builds muscle and muscle burns more calories, ie the more muscular you are, the more calories you burn 24/7, not just while exercising. That doesn't mean a woman needs to be built like Atlas to burn cals. But you'll burn more cals than if you have very little muscle.

And clearly, the evidence shows that moderate exercise decreases risks of many health problems.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

you could do that, but then you're not toning, & you're alot less "fit" and healthy.
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    so since my cals are set to 1200, and it says my bmr is like 1600....i need to eat 1200 without exercise to make up for it then eat whatever i may burn off to make up for the loss of exercise?....AHHH! CONFUSING....so shouldnt i technically be eating 2200 a day?....does the cal counter take into consideration the bmr when suggesting what your cals be daily?
  • luckylatina
    Options
    I've also had a lot of problems "getting this" topic..im starting to understand now and its so helpful!! thanks for the info and im hoping i could convince my fiance to understand this because he always thinks that because im always "hungry" and eating (i stay within my calorie range for the most part) plus i exercise 4-5 days a week, he thinks that im not doing myself any good. He tends to not eat on a regular basis thinking he will loose weight by just snacking on pickles and peanuts etc..and never having a regular meal like me. He only allows himself to eat on the weekends and basically nothing during the week! i tell him he's crazy but i dont know what goes through his brain, plus he's now started working out with me and running at least 3 times a week which i think he would need even more calories for that fact! im starting to worry about his health and how "healthy" this could be for him! any suggestions on how i could help him change his bad habits???
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I finally figured it out too and I am glad I did! I eat my workout calories and I've already lost 1 pound and I haven't even been on this site a week!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    so since my cals are set to 1200, and it says my bmr is like 1600....i need to eat 1200 without exercise to make up for it then eat whatever i may burn off to make up for the loss of exercise?....AHHH! CONFUSING....so shouldnt i technically be eating 2200 a day?....does the cal counter take into consideration the bmr when suggesting what your cals be daily?

The calorie counter on MFP will always keep you at the deficit you need to reach your goal of x amount loss per week. If you chose 1 lb loss/week (1 lb = 3500 cals), the site will give you a daily calorie goal that includes a 500 cal deficit. If you add in exercise, the site will add in calories, to keep you at that 500 cal deficit. So you will still lose your 1 lb a week, even if you eat those exercise calories. Yes, it considers your BMR in setting the goals for you.

If your daily goal is 1200, and you don't exercise, you should shoot for 1200. If you do exercise, say 500 cals worth, then you should shoot for 1700 cals.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I've also had a lot of problems "getting this" topic..im starting to understand now and its so helpful!! thanks for the info and im hoping i could convince my fiance to understand this because he always thinks that because im always "hungry" and eating (i stay within my calorie range for the most part) plus i exercise 4-5 days a week, he thinks that im not doing myself any good. He tends to not eat on a regular basis thinking he will loose weight by just snacking on pickles and peanuts etc..and never having a regular meal like me. He only allows himself to eat on the weekends and basically nothing during the week! i tell him he's crazy but i dont know what goes through his brain, plus he's now started working out with me and running at least 3 times a week which i think he would need even more calories for that fact! im starting to worry about his health and how "healthy" this could be for him! any suggestions on how i could help him change his bad habits???

Have him read this stuff! lol If necessary, print it out and give it to him.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

The website does all the work for you. If you enter your calories eaten, and you enter your exercise calories burned, it modifies your target calories on the food page.

To see what I mean, go to your food page and look at "Calories Remaining". Then add some cardio (just as a test), say 30 mins of jogging. Then go back to the food page and look at "Calories Remaining" again.

Basically, it's not necessary to do the math yourself, other than to understand why the target changes. Just trust the number, because as others have said, it already takes into account your goal and how many calories you need each day to lose the weight.
  • mama2healthy
    Options
    How can I change my daily goal to be closer to my BMR? Im having headaches from eating my 1200 calories hihiihihi and Im not exactly losing weight so much.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How can I change my daily goal to be closer to my BMR? Im having headaches from eating my 1200 calories hihiihihi and Im not exactly losing weight so much.

Are you saying you want to adjust to have more daily calories? There are a few ways.
    1. Change your goal weight loss target from 2 pounds per week to 1 pound per week. It's slower but you get more calories. That's under My Home->Goals->Change Goals->Guided
    2. The easier way to get more calories and still lose is to add more exercise
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!