metabolism has stopped

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Believe what you want. I have inputted everything I eat and the exercises I do. No point in lying as you won't get an accurate reading. Annoyed that I am now a liar. Well I am not.

WEll I know your diary isn't correct based on your entries...

Homemade coffee - 50 calories???? what is this? did you enter a recipe in? if not don't use homemade items unless you made them

As well on Sat you did fine on getting in 1397 calories...mind you that pizza you ate had more than 1g of sodium and I suspect the chips did too...but on Saturday you logged 1gram of sodium...that doesn't seem odd to you?

this goes on for days...

I suspect you are under estimating intake and over estimating output.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism has stopped? Now this is a true zombie post.

computer.jpg
    3391854+_4730e28c93bd1ef229fc62c34310a99e.png
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP ... if your logging is anywhere close to accurate then you've consumed far too little for the past month when you haven't netted 1000 calories once. The much more likely scenario is that you are drastically underestimating your intake and overestimating your exercise burn. If that isn't the case, get professional help because you're in ED range with your net intake.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Believe what you want. I have inputted everything I eat and the exercises I do. No point in lying as you won't get an accurate reading. Annoyed that I am now a liar. Well I am not.

WEll I know your diary isn't correct based on your entries...

Homemade coffee - 50 calories???? what is this? did you enter a recipe in? if not don't use homemade items unless you made them

As well on Sat you did fine on getting in 1397 calories...mind you that pizza you ate had more than 1g of sodium and I suspect the chips did too...but on Saturday you logged 1gram of sodium...that doesn't seem odd to you?

this goes on for days...

I suspect you are under estimating intake and over estimating output.

This is another really good point.

You need to make sure you're using the correct entries when you log. The entries without the * are usually more accurate - the others are user entered. I prefer to scan the barcodes on things rather than try to search the database. And I'd stay away from using any "homemade" anything unless you've taken the time to enter the recipe yourself.

Guessing sometimes has to happen, but you should ALWAYS overestimate in those cases.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed you get cell reception from your casket- I got into the basement and I can't send anything!!!

:laugh:

As was already suggested: Weigh and log every morsel that goes in your mouth. When you only have a little left to lose, you only have a little leeway between loss and maintenance. Also, let's just say MFP tends to be a bit optimistic when it comes to calorie burn. I eat back less than half my exercise calories based on what it says I burned because I know darn well I didn't really burn that many.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    What they said, all of it, including "you're very lively for being dead", which is the first thing I thought when I saw the title.
    I truly am struggling to eat 1200 and I do exercise a lot.
    That sounds like a problem.
    - First, as others have said, 1200 isn't all that much. But it is the least a woman should eat unless supervised by a doctor (or if you're very short). Not being able to eat even that little says that there's something wrong, either an eating disorder or something that's affecting your appetite.
    - Second, you are probably starving, not giving your body enough nutrients to survive & be healthy, let alone exercise excessively.

Controlling calories in is more effective to lose weight than trying to expend more calories.
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Since you have so little to lose, aim for 1/2 lb per week. That means reducing what you need to maintain your weight by 250 calories per day. That's not much.

So how do you know how many calories you should be eating?

The easiest way is to decide on a healthy goal weight (in the green zone on this BMI chart http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf ), then multiply by 10.
    That's for losing weight. That's the method my doctor & dietician at the weight-loss office use.

Another way is to multiply your current weight by 15 (calories per pound to maintain weight), then subtract 250 to lose 1/2 lb per week.

Somewhere between those numbers will work for you, if you're weighing/measuring & logging food accurately.
    Either way, don't go below 1200 total calories per day. (Ignore net, don't eat back exercise loss unless you're really hungry, and then only about 1/3 to 1/2.)
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If your metabolism stopped, you'd be dead.

This.

I also have serious doubts about the accuracy of your food diary; with a deficit that ridiculously high you should be losing fat, and muscle mass, like crazy.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You say on your profile:
    "I am a vegetarian and eat healthy most of the time"
    No, you don't.
    You are eating very low calories and not a good balance of food/nutrients most of the time.

For the last week:
    Today you're at 767 so far (really good breakfast!),
    Monday you had 913,
    Sunday you had 805,
    Sat. 1397,
    Fri. 467 (!),
    Thurs. 1561,
    Wed. 901.
    You're all over the place, and pretty consistently below the minimum any woman should be eating (1200).

How tall are you?
    What is your actual calorie & weight goal?
    Is that weight in the green range for your height on this BMI chart? http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

This calculator will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain that weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight from the BMI chart, this will help you plan your food intake.
    https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

Put some almond or peanut butter on your toast every morning.
    When you have oatmeal, put in some diced nuts, raisins, even some brown sugar.
    Have more beans & lentils. (That veggie & lentil curry? Have about 3x that much. 100g is a very small side dish serving.)
    Instead of the beer & wine, have real foods.
    Don't avoid the brown rice or the whole-grain pasta. A cup of either as a bed for sauce, curry, etc. would be healthy & give you needed calories & nutrition.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    At times like this, I like the views from this page:
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to kick start my metabolism? Not loosing weight, in fact gaining: (. I am having to force myself to eat more and I am struggling to get to 1200 as when exercising you have to eat more. I try to eat more protein, cut back on carbs and sugar. I drink 2 litres of water a day, drink coffee with just milk and green tea. I have started to drink a quartervofva glass of soy milk a few times a day. Help..

How are you measuring your food?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to kick start my metabolism? Not loosing weight, in fact gaining: (. I am having to force myself to eat more and I am struggling to get to 1200 as when exercising you have to eat more. I try to eat more protein, cut back on carbs and sugar. I drink 2 litres of water a day, drink coffee with just milk and green tea. I have started to drink a quartervofva glass of soy milk a few times a day. Help..

If it stopped, then you must be dead.....

Just sayin
  • Ehecatl915
    Options
    You haven't been eating enough calories, and you haven't been eating much protein. You won't lose weight and if you do it will come back cause it's water and you will get sick. Eat the calories, keep the carbs lower and eat protein. You will just end up becoming very sick. You body is reacting to what you are doing to it, it is in starvation mode.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm calling baloney on struggling to eat 1200.

that's just not THAT much food. one small salad- and a portion of meat sauce (no pasta), 3 hard boiled eggs and half a serving of yogurt is 1200 calories.

I feel the OP a little bit. I struggle every day to meet 1200, and I eat plenty of meat and salad. If you're cutting back on carbs in particular it becomes difficult to meet your calories. I always get above 90 grams of protein and that can be on 1000 a day (I'm not advocating it, I'm saying it happens).

Also I think you must have a whacking huge piece of meat, and quite a lot of sauce for that to make sense as 1200 calories.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options

I looked at your diary and it doesn't seem like you are eating enough. I lost 13 pounds in six months by eating around 1640 calories a day give or take. I am currently maintaining. We are the same age, so if I can do it so can you. I would suggest eating more. There are days you don't have anything for dinner in your diary. I would stay grumpy if my food intake was like yours!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I agree in general with everyone's general points about accurancy in logging, but I feel that in fairness I should point out to those who are calling out the OP for logging 3 pieces of pizza as 400 calories should bear in mind that the OP is in the UK not the US, so when she's talking about a pizza I suspect she means a 10" pizza bought in a supermarket, in which case it wouldn't be too far off the mark. Not the big 16" or 18" pizzas that are more common in the States.

3 pieces = half a pizza, and most 10" pizzas over here come in at around 850 calories for the whole thing, maybe a bit more for pepperoni types. (Takeaway such as Dominos would prob be much more as they're greasier, and obviously a bigger pizza = more calories)

So yes, she might be underestimating, but maybe not as wildly as you might think about the pizza!
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What does OP stand for?
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Original Poster = the person who posted the thread. I'm sticking up for you!
  • ahbooker
    ahbooker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues. I have consulted a doctor and undergoing several test. I am always calorie deficit when taking into consideration my exercise. I log everything!!! I have an issue with insulin resisitence and metabolic syndrome. I work out 2 hours a day and plan all of my meals. I can weigh up to 10 pounds heavier every other day! I eat 100 oz of protein so having a LACK of it isnt the reason!!! For those comments previous I understand how you feel them inapporpiate! AGAIN, I am seeking professional medical advise and this is what I am told! FYI my body fat is less than 20% from all the excersise that I do but again it is a constant struggle for me. Just keep trying. My biggest advise is reduce any sugar you take in. Sugar is toxic to me unless in a raw fruit form. Bananas are completely out of the question for me. Listen to your body with everything you consume! If you use flour, use coconut flour or almond flour. Mainly use unsweeted almond/coconut milk.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It's been said several times but the point needs to be driven home:

You are eating more than 1,200 calories and burning less calories than you think when exercising.

How many grams is "1 whole - 6 walnut"? How about 1/2 avocado?

Almost 250 calories burned walking? I burn about that much working at 85% my max HR in 1/2 hour, so that sounds wildly inflated to me.

ETA: Okay what exercise is "decorating" and how does it burn 660 calories?

Read the stickies, get a food scale, feel like a broken record because this is told to every single person in this predicament.
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Be sure to not be in a rut that your body is getting use to; mix it up, confuse it to lose it my nutritionist always says. :drinker: