What should I smoke?

13»

Replies

• CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Seeing a few people post about over "smokey" flavors of their meats. One thing to keep in mind is that smoke is essentially the moisture of the fuel source burning out of it. In order to impart that flavor onto the meat, you need to first draw out moisture from the product before trying to add the moisture to the meat (i.e. adding the flavor). This means not using the wood you wish to smoke with right off the bat (with exception with quick smokes for chicken or smaller cuts of meat). Instead start by using a no-smoke cook to get it up to your finish temp, and then introduce the smoke. My father an I use a electric heating element to heat the inside of our double door smoker we built out of an old double door commercial stand up freezer we found at the junkyard. After we got the product (usually out summer sausage) up close to the desired temp, only then would we add the wood. Play with the time at which to add the wood to adjust the flavor to your personal preference.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    A couple of outside the box smoker ideas:

Chex mix or just pretzels...

Or mixed nuts (especially almonds)

All delicious smoked!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Seeing a few people post about over "smokey" flavors of their meats. One thing to keep in mind is that smoke is essentially the moisture of the fuel source burning out of it. In order to impart that flavor onto the meat, you need to first draw out moisture from the product before trying to add the moisture to the meat (i.e. adding the flavor). This means not using the wood you wish to smoke with right off the bat (with exception with quick smokes for chicken or smaller cuts of meat). Instead start by using a no-smoke cook to get it up to your finish temp, and then introduce the smoke. My father an I use a electric heating element to heat the inside of our double door smoker we built out of an old double door commercial stand up freezer we found at the junkyard. After we got the product (usually out summer sausage) up close to the desired temp, only then would we add the wood. Play with the time at which to add the wood to adjust the flavor to your personal preference.

I have always read that after a couple hours of smoking that the meat won't absorb more smoke flavor basically being useless at that point
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    This thread wasn't at all what i thought...

Me neither.,. I was just gonna write : Pot
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    O
  • hig17
    hig17 Posts: 159 Member
    I got a smoker for father's day and want some suggestions of things to cook. I have already cooked a whole turkey, beef brisket, ribs and chicken wings.

Anyone have some ideas? I would like to do fish but my wife doesn't like fish. Anyone ever smoke pork butt or pork shoulder?

Smoked pork butt is AMAZING try it!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    This isn't going to sound right considering we are talking about smoking. But, look up some fatty recipes. The bacon wrapped ones are the best.

Here is cheeseburger fatty

fd7d6v.jpg

That I gotta try !

They are awesome. Try it with cheese, pizza sauce, and some pepperoni in it. Awe man. I'm hungry now.

Oh Me too , and all I Got right now is a hardboiled egg. !! :cry:
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    CHEEZ N JERKY. <3
  • cpr18944
    cpr18944 Posts: 1 Member
    Pork shoulder is one of the best cuts to learn smoking... Its relatively inexpensive, large enough to let you work on your fire control over an extended time, and fairly forgiving if you get temp spikes along the learning curve.

What kind of smoker did you get?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Smoked a wild hog at 4th of July... so pork is pretty good....

It was a real ***** to get the rolling paper around it though.

ROFL
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    This topic is not what I thought the post would be about. I'll just take my bong and go.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    A Brisket

texas-style-smoked-brisket.jpg

Now I want a brisket. And a smoker.
  • lorimill1973
    lorimill1973 Posts: 22 Member
    In addition to the regular meats (turkey, chicken, pork, fish, etc.) we've done stuffed portabella mushrooms, stuffed clams, and peanuts. The peanuts are delish! I've also read you can smoke cheese, but I've never tried it.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member

I have always read that after a couple hours of smoking that the meat won't absorb more smoke flavor basically being useless at that point

I use apple wood mostly, lighter smoke. You only need to add smoke for a half an hour or so. If you have a water pan, the steam will still add smoke to the meat. One thing a buddy turned me on to is if you smoke a butt roast or picinic roast, put on your dry rub and just before you smoke it, cover it with yellow mustard. It is amazing! Nice bark, no mustard flavor, and stays moist! After I "pull" the pork I mist it with apple cider vinegar until it shines. Old school!
  • arickettsjr
    arickettsjr Posts: 32 Member

I am using briquettes. I have lump charcoal for our smoker at our cabin but I find it burns out much faster than the briquettes

I've found that to be true when I'm grilling, but not when I'm smoking. When you're controlling the air going in it burns much slower while still burning hotter than briquettes. Burning hotter = less fuel used.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    This topic is not what I thought the post would be about. I'll just take my bong and go.

Puff Puff give?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    I've not gotten into the whole smoked-meat craze. Should I?
  • BowHunter1967
    BowHunter1967 Posts: 56 Member
    Venison - if you can get your hands on it. Try a back strap butterfly cut with cream cheese, mushrooms, onion and colored peppers, wrapped in bacon -UMMMM

Good call!

Smoked Wild boar ribs and boar ham roast are my favorite smoker items as well
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    I decided this weekend I am going to keep in simple and do a couple whole chickens. I am going to tackle a pork shoulder next weekend after I modify a few things on my smoker....keep the ideas coming though