Taking a hard look and being accountable

Options
"Taking a hard look and being accountable"

I have been really active on MFP for a good solid 4 months right now. During that time I have steadily lost weight and I have gone down from 197 to 189 (I am 5'7" 52 year old guy - started at 203 and look to get to about 155-160).

I always "bragged" about "Slow and Steady", but something compelled me to look at my data.

I have had a lot more "binge" / "Pig out" / "Stuff my face" days than I should have.

Insert screaming person dropping a tray of drinks here....

and .. wait for it... YES - THEY DO COUNT!!

Out of 118 days in April, May, June, July - 31 were RED days. In my world that means days where I ate more than 3000 calories. (I am gunning for a net of 2200 per day which is right between my BMR and TDEE).

When I looked back at those days I realized that perhaps 2-3 of those 31 days were "justified". The other days I just "didn't give a damn and stuffed my face.

There is good news and a silver lining...

I don't feel that need this month. I am on 5 days no binge... I am going to see if I can make it to 31 days this month.

Post Here if you want to track your success days!

Go for it people! :drinker:

Replies

• whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You can do it 86.... and LOVE IT !!!!
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So your data tells us that about 25% of the time you eat over 3000 calories. Despite this you've lost about 2 lbs per month. That makes me wonder if your goal of 2200 calories might be a little low and if that might be the reason you are regularly going over 3000? I would go back and look at how many calories you have consumed on a weekly and monthly basis. That's the number of calories that has so far enabled you to lose close to a half pound per week.

For what it is worth, my husband is your height and weighs 160. He's very active and I know he would be hungry on 2200 calories a day.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    You can do it 86.... and LOVE IT !!!!

@whovian

Thanks Chief! :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    So your data tells us that about 25% of the time you eat over 3000 calories. Despite this you've lost about 2 lbs per month. That makes me wonder if your goal of 2200 calories might be a little low and if that might be the reason you are regularly going over 3000? I would go back and look at how many calories you have consumed on a weekly and monthly basis. That's the number of calories that has so far enabled you to lose close to a half pound per week.

For what it is worth, my husband is your height and weighs 160. He's very active and I know he would be hungry on 2200 calories a day.

@bergpa - That is actually a good observation. I actually have done the calories consumed on an weekly and monthly basis and found I was between 2600-2700 per day all 4 months. I am trying to slowly adjust to average an intake of 2400-2500 per day with the same amount of exercise. I eat back 40%-60% of my exercise calories. Thanks for the feedback1
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    2400-2500 sounds right on track. Keep us posted on your progress this month!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    2400-2500 sounds right on track. Keep us posted on your progress this month!
    @Bergpa
    I sure will. That does sound really good by the way! :drinker: :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    After about a year of being here and losing a lot of weight, I've come to the conclusion that "slow and steady" is going to doom most people to failure. Our ability to concentrate for long lengths of time is quite limited - what seems to work better is alternating cycles of eating at maintenance with cycles of much higher caloric restriction, with 2-6 weeks in each phase, depending.

This is also consistent with our biology, which evolved specifically to deal with boom-bust feeding cycles.

At any rate, it's validated by my own tracking, YMMV, etc.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, despite having my daily limit set pretty high, I am still going over more often than I would like. Although I have been having a lot of 'I don't give a crap' days lately. I have been focusing on getting the data points to figure out my true TDEE though. This might be a good time to regroup and refocus. Thanks for the reminder, Chevy :flowerforyou:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    After about a year of being here and losing a lot of weight, I've come to the conclusion that "slow and steady" is going to doom most people to failure. Our ability to concentrate for long lengths of time is quite limited - what seems to work better is alternating cycles of eating at maintenance with cycles of much higher caloric restriction, with 2-6 weeks in each phase, depending.

This is also consistent with our biology, which evolved specifically to deal with boom-bust feeding cycles.

At any rate, it's validated by my own tracking, YMMV, etc.

@MR_Knight - Looks like we have an interesting difference of philosophies. First, let me congratulate you on your success. in the big picture we are both achieving our goals.

However... I am still "slow and steady" but hopefully a bit steadier and not as slow LOL.

Good insight in your post thanks! :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    Hmmm, despite having my daily limit set pretty high, I am still going over more often than I would like. Although I have been having a lot of 'I don't give a crap' days lately. I have been focusing on getting the data points to figure out my true TDEE though. This might be a good time to regroup and refocus. Thanks for the reminder, Chevy :flowerforyou:

@nutmeg - That is what happened to me - I had too many "I don't give a crap " days. But I realize that i think I have enough data points too :flowerforyou:
    Thanks for your support! :smile:
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone we can do this.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    You are definitely not alone we can do this.

@rebekah Thanks for the support :drinker:

5 days binge free for me today! :smile:
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know that you'll work it out in your own way, and I'll be here to cheer you on. GO CHEVY GO!!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I know that you'll work it out in your own way, and I'll be here to cheer you on. GO CHEVY GO!!

@ChefSteve - Thanks Man! You are doing it right too! :smile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I love your post, the only cautionary advice I have is still allow yourself the occasional bad day (just fewer of them) without beating yourself up. Congratulations on your weight loss and increasing commitment! :drinker:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I love your post, the only cautionary advice I have is still allow yourself the occasional bad day (just fewer of them) without beating yourself up. Congratulations on your weight loss and increasing commitment! :drinker:

@sunofa - That is wise advice. Btw good comment in the post about overweight people.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

@sunofa - That is wise advice. Btw good comment in the post about overweight people.

Cheers!