Burn 300 Calories in 15 Minutes (!?!)

Options
Just sharing..........haven't tried the workout, but always planned on getting a kettlebell, very interested in wearing my HRM and finding out if this claim is accurate! :)
(The actual website shows pictures of the movements)

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/fitness/burn-300-calories-15-minutes

Burn 300 Calories in 15 Minutes
By Lucy Danziger, the Editor-in-Chief of SELF magazine
Jan 11, 2011
Send Share Print Buzz up!135 votesHealth Experts Main

Happier, Healthier You
by Lucy Danziger, the Editor-in-Chief of SELF magazine
Recent Posts•Melt Fat With Jillian Michaels
•6 Natural Fertility Boosters
•5 Top Trendy Foods for January

More Articles »Shorter, smarter workouts are always a winner in my book—who doesn’t want to melt more fat and calories in less time? One trendy fitness tool that can make that happen: kettlebells. Sure, they might look a little intimidating—kind of like little cannonballs with handles—but they’re actually super easy to use. Plus, strength training with a kettlebell works nearly every muscle in your body, toning you up from head to toe and blasting 300 calories in just 15 minutes (you’d have to bike for more than 30 minutes to get the same results). Intrigued? Give one a try with these simple, sculpting moves created exclusively for SELF by Sarah Lurie, founder of Iron Core Kettlebell Strength and Conditioning in San Diego.

You’ll need a 10- to 15-pound kettlebell ($35 and up; GoFit.net). Switch to a heavier one as you get stronger. Do three sets of the indicated reps of each move three times a week on nonconsecutive days.

OVERHEAD PRESS

works: shoulders, arms, abs, butt, legs
Stand with your feet hip-width apart, a kettlebell in your right hand, elbow bent, with the ball of kettlebell resting on the back of your right forearm at your right shoulder. Press your right arm straight overhead (as shown). Bend your elbow, returning the kettlebell to your right shoulder, for 1 rep. Do 5 reps. Switch sides; repeat.

DECK SQUAT

Works: abs, butt, legs
Stand with your feet hip-width apart, holding the kettlebell horns (the sides of handle), arms down. Lower your butt to sit on floor; bend your elbows so the kettlebell is in front of your chest, arms inside your legs. Roll onto your back, keeping your knees bent (as shown), then roll forward, placing your feet on the floor to rise to a low squat, extending your arms at chest level. Snap your hips as you straighten your legs and lower your arms for 1 rep. Do 10 reps.

SWING-CATCH-SQUAT

Works: shoulders, back, abs, butt, legs
Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart, the kettlebell on the floor between your feet. Squat and grab the handle with both hands, palms down; swing the kettlebell back between your legs, then forward as you snap your hips and rise to stand. When the kettlebell reaches shoulder level, release the handle, catching the horns, elbows bent, then squat (as shown). Stand, changing your grip so your hands are on top of the handle, arms down, for 1 rep. Do 10 reps.

TACTICAL LUNGE

Works: abs, butt, legs
Stand with your feet hip-width apart, a kettlebell in both hands in front of you, arms down. Step your left leg back into a lunge, releasing your right hand; pass the kettlebell under your right leg from your left hand to your right (as shown), then return to start. Repeat on opposite side for 1 rep. Do 5 reps.

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    wooh!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I doubt that the burn will be that big for most. Maybe if you are over 250lbs it would be possible.
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did this workout this morning. It is only moderately difficult.It took me 20 min to complete since I kept looking at the directions. I weigh 125 pounds. I doubt I burned 300 calories. I put myself down for 200 but I still feel like I might be overexaggerating??? Maybe a heart rate monitor would help...

Carole
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think that is pretty inflated....I war a HRM and I workout hard every day, some days with weights, some days aerobics, some days both, and I have never, ever burned 300 calories in 15 mins, and I am at that overweight person who burns more.
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    I don't have a HRM but I'm curious to know what the actual calorie burn is..
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This is why I added the "(!?!)" in the title....the claim is shocking to me as well, BUT I try and share interesting information anytime I come across something others may find useful. In no way was I, as in MYSELF, stating this claim, which is why I also mentioned that I have not put this claim to a test.

I do still plan on trying it out WHILE wearing my HRM. Unless I (or you) try this out AND wear a HRM, there's no way to know for sure. Everyone's body is different, so perhaps the author based it on those who WERE able to burn that amount. Anyhow....just thought I'd share the article, take it or leave it. :flowerforyou:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted this article last night, and I too highly doubt that you can burn 300 calories in just 15 minutes. Very misleading unless you are using a very heavy kettle bell and have already warmed up.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Good article
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    Interesting. Are you going to post your results from wearing your hrm combatvet?
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    always wondered how those suckers worked!!! lol
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I read the same thing this morning. I don't know if you really burn that much or not.

I'm glad others are discovering Yahoo! Health. I think it's a great resource.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Are you going to post your results from wearing your hrm combatvet?

I am currently working the P90X program, but as soon as I get a kettlebell (hopefully this weekend), I will absolutely report the results. I am quite skeptical, as everyone else, so this will be interesting! :)
    Thanks for asking!
  • PercyPig
    PercyPig Posts: 318
    Options
    I regularly work out with kettlebells and used my HRM last week to measure calorie burn - approx 300 in 30 minutes so double the time mentioned in the article. It's almost impossible to generalise calorie burn with kettlebells as it depends on your height, weight, the intensity of the workout, the type of exercise you do etc. I do love them as they use so many different muscle groups - when I first started I ached in places I didn't even know existed!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    This is similar to Crossfit type workouts. Some people who wear Body Buggs have shown to burn as much as 500 calories in 20-25 minutes doing Crossfit! High intensity and short duration exercises are the bomb!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I purchased a kettle bell last night just to test this out. I will attempt it tonight and post my results with my hrm. I will warm up first and then start. I won't include my cooldown either.
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I weigh 178 (lost 91 pounds so far) and saw this article and found it interesting because I needed a new work out to mix things up. So I bought Jillian Michaels PowerBell, just tried it for the first time and was kind of slow on my movements and did it for 20 minutes and burned 246 calories according to the Polar HRM. So I would think if you know what you are doing and going at a good pace it is very possible to get 300 in 15.