Have you learned to love running?

Options
azwen
azwen Posts: 237 Member
I don't like running. At all. For cardio, I do zumba, hiking local mountains, or treadmill with incline. My husband likes running, and would love for us to do a 5K together someday. Is it possible to learn to enjoy it? Should I build up to it slowly, or just get on the treadmill tomorrow and put the speed up? One of the reasons I think I've always avoided running is that I'm a klutz; walking seems safer. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Some people can learn to love it. Most people can learn to hate it less. It kind of depends. Nothing wrong with giving it a shot for a little while and seeing if your attitude changes. I much prefer going on long bike rides or swimming than running any day. I hate running, but I do run occasionally.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you like hiking, you could always try trail running. For me street running is enjoyable, and trail running is ecstatically awesome! Just start slow, maybe continue to just hike the uphills until you get faster and steadier. I'm klutzy too, but running on the trails seems to really help me focus and dance off all the rocks, roots and whatever else mother nature throws my way.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I haven't even learned to like the idea of running. I can bike my butt off for almost two hours if I set my mind to it, but last time hubby wanted me to run I got 13 steps before I just couldn't make myself do it anymore. lol If it's something you WANT to do, though, then that's a big first step. Don't worry so much about klutzing it up. :flowerforyou: I think slowly upping the treadmill speed is a great idea. Good luck!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I learned to love running outside. I also like to hike, which explains why I like the outdoors more than the dreaded indoor treadmill. Whenever I run, I feel like I can go anywhere I want; all I need is some water, maybe some dried fruits/nuts and my own two legs. You like hiking, right? Maybe try trail running on some easy hikes to see if you like that better.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'd be much safer starting out on the treadmill. I live in the desert, so when I go hiking, it's in desert mountain trails, narrow, rocky, sometime steep, and surrounded by rocks and cacti. Falling down would not be good. (Although people do run on the trails all the time.) I found a chart on Pinterest for slowly easing into running; I will try it.
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I run a lot, I run a half-marathon every year, and some full-marathons. I can't say that I love it, but I do miss running if I am not able to do it for a week. For me the key is to run outside, and also get to a point where all I am thinking about is the act of running and everything else is out of mind. Its really relaxing and rewarding that way. Treadmill running is the worst type of running, and you will probably never enjoy it. Though on Treadmill you can go with a program like interval runs / speed workouts to make it interesting.
    I have also recently started running with my husband, and for us it was great time to be out together, high fiving each other on crossing small milestones. We ran a half-marathon together. And he used to say he does not like running, and now he is talking about training for a full-marathon with me :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Ditch the treadmill and try. Maybe you like it, maybe you don't. Give yourself a goal of completing a 5k, and permission to stop after if you hate it, but get to that goal first. You may dislike running, then find race day absolutely addicting. Or you may love being outside, but feel too penned in while at the race. Just see what you like.

Oh, and my "3 F's" of trail running, since you are a hiker and it might be a natural transition: Foresight (scanning the ground in front of you and whats a few steps ahead); Foot placement (learning where to step, this comes with practice), and Fearlessness (you're gonna have some scrapes, bruises, and falls its ok, get back up and keep going). Good luck!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    That depends on a variety of factors for me: the weather, whether or not I remembered to pee beforehand, if I'm really feeling the music, how much I ate and what, etc.

But I always feel awesome afterward, regardless of how much I enjoyed the run.
  • motal003
    motal003 Posts: 28
    Options
    I just taught myself to love running. I prefer it over stairmaster. I guess I'm starting to get that runner's high they talk about so it's growing on me. My trick is that I save all my guilty pleasure shows to watch on the treadmill. It helps the time go fast. I guess if you have an awesome album that will help you stay pumped up, it'll help too.
    As for me, it's all a mind thing. But don't overdo it. I know SO many people who have injured themselves for life.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I did. For some reason, I decided I needed to become a runner. It was hard work. It was, honestly, miserable at times, often at first. The more I did it though, the more I enjoyed it. Now that I can run longer and more comfortably, I love it. I have been sick and nursing an injury so I haven't been out in a couple weeks and I'm getting rather cranky. Definitely try trail running if you're a hiker but keep in mind it will be a slower build up than road running. Treadmill seems to be hit or miss for people. I can do ten miles on the road but barely one on the treadmill. Plus it gives me horrible shin splints.
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't love it, but I don't hate it either...I'm proud that I can do it, and I run a few times a week; usually just a couple of miles around the neighborhood in the morning, and maybe a mile or two on the treadmill at the gym. I finished a 5K a couple of weeks ago, and it felt great knowing I could actually finish it without walking, even with a couple of decent hills. I just put on some fairly fast paced music and go. Started about 6 months ago at the gym on a treadmill doing about 4.5 miles/hour, and now usually run on the treadmill at between 5.6 & 6mph...I just cranked it up one notch every few weeks to see if I could increase my pace, and went from there. My 5K pace was about a 10.5 minute mile, which was way better than I expected...I seem to run faster when I have people around me, rather than by myself...competitive much?:smile:
  • Tal_Kyrte
    Tal_Kyrte Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing the Couch to 5K program. It has definitely improved my stamina. I started with no endurance, and a hatred of running, but I've learned to love it. Even though I'm not very good, there's something intoxicating about the exhilaration.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1363658-when-i-run-i-love

This link is for a thread on MFP. Reading about why people love running has helped me learn to love it.

For me, it helped to orchestrate more desirable circumstances. If you start running at noon on a hot and humid day at the track, no wonder you'd hate it. I started running at night (like right before midnight) just because of the heat, but it became a beautiful ethereal experience. I love the feeling of cool night air, and the expanse of wide, empty streets. All the homes are dark and closed, and I'm the only awake person for miles. It's like being in a fantasy land. And nothing beats the runner's high.

Find circumstances you like. You mentioned hiking. Go running in the mountains. Go in the morning, at night, or after you get back from work. Find a place you love, and a time. Then just go and run. You'll get addicted to the feeling of being alone, strong and happy.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I used to love running outside. I've always hated the treadmill.

Then I tore my ACL and had to have surgery. It's been over a year, and I'm almost 20 lbs lighter, but my knee still does not feel "normal" when I run, so I can't. They say it will be eventually, but who knows. I'm hoping losing more weight will help. Until then, I am doing other things, like the elliptical and bike. I HATE that I can't run, though, it really sucks. :frown:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    it took me years to enjoy running. and i still have some days when my run will feel miserable. it will literally feel like wading through quick sand. but, i usually push through, and once i'm finished i always feel better. always. be consistent, and you may reach a point where it's tolerable to you. or, you may not. i'm a total klutz too, and trip a lot when i'm outside running - i've been known to face plant on the road, side walk, grass, etc. - but i've gotten pretty good at being able to roll with the trip and avoid landing on the asphalt with my knees! lol i haven't yet gotten really injured from tripping. mostly just some scrapes and bruises - bruised body and ego lol.
  • janey72
    janey72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also not a fan of running, but I started the C25k about 10 weeks ago and while its still hard, Im enjoying the progress I have made. I have gone form literally not being able to run for 2 mins to being able to manage 25. i wouldnt say I "love it" but as others are saying you just learn to not mind it- and the feeling you get from hitting those milestones in the C25K programme is great.
    I have a 5k run this month, first ever, and I think i will keep the jogging up once it's done.
    Id say give the 5k with your hubby a chance and see hwo you get on, you might love it!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I don't like running in the summer months much, but in the winter I usually enjoy a run. I have never really tried to up my speed or to run more than ten km. I think if I were to to push myself I would like running less.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I haven't done cardio is probably 6 months.
  • fancylanguage
    Options
    I've recently started doing the zombie C25K and I'm really enjoying it so far especially since I've never been a runner at all.
  • lollyhackett
    lollyhackett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My French cousin came to stay with me a few months ago, and he ran like 5k every day, and every day he would try to get me to go with him to no avail. I was convinced that I "couldn't run", not only was I convinced that I couldn't run, but I was convinced that I hated it so much. Then about a month ago, when I hit my biggest weight I thought wtf, I'm gonna take my fat lazy *kitten* on a cross country yomp ( I was so sick and tired of feeling lethargic and quite frankly disgusted with how out of shape I had become.) Anyway, the yomp kind of turned into a jog and then a run!!!! For the love of god I was running!! Long story cut short - I haven't looked back since, I have learned to love running! From the girl who said I can't...to the girl who said I can!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used to love running - 100m, mainly because I was good at it (although I was really good over 60m).
    Would run around all day playing sport but the idea of distance running (anything over 200m for me!) just bored me to death and I was rubbish at it.

I didn't run a 5k until my 30's after my knee had already been wrecked and that was mostly for the challenge of proving people wrong. Ran one 10k and as I crossed the line I knew I would never do 10k again - quite possibly the dullest exercise I have ever done!
    These days I run once in a blue moon and purely to keep the ability to run for sport, even at my age I still have the ex-sprinter's pride that I want to be quick.

I'm in the minority as regards 5k training - I've never had a slow running speed or ability to jog so I trained purely by interval runs, running briskly alternating with walking until I could reduce the walking down to nothing. The opposite of the C25K approach really.

My "cardio" of choice is cycling these days, I can cycle for hours and thoroughly enjoy it.