FitBit calories in vs out not making sense

Options
I set my fitbit for a 750 calorie deficit (1.5 lb/week). However, it says I should eat 1654 calories and burn a total of 2184 calories. That's not a 750 calorie deficit! That's 530 calorie deficit. Why is it doing this? Is it because the day isn't over yet? So confused right now. Should I adjust the settings manually to fix that?

Replies

• mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Fitbit estimates how many calories you'll reach by the end of the day by your current burn rate and past history. If you don't want it to do that, then turn off Estimated Calories in your profile.

Give it a chance, though. It does a really good job from my experience.

MFP also has a profile setting to let Fitbit do calorie adjustments, so that if you're burning more or less than the expected rate, it counts them as positive or negative exercise calories. I also have found that to work quite well.

The only tricky thing to make MFP calories in sync with Firbit is to tweak the MFP Goals using custom numbers and not let it default for you. It takes a few adjustments over a couple days, but once you get it right, the numbers are pretty close and can be within ten or so calories of each other.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I set my fitbit for a 750 calorie deficit (1.5 lb/week). However, it says I should eat 1654 calories and burn a total of 2184 calories. That's not a 750 calorie deficit! That's 530 calorie deficit. Why is it doing this? Is it because the day isn't over yet? So confused right now. Should I adjust the settings manually to fix that?

So what tile are you looking at exactly?

The Food Plan tile will tell you how many calories you can eat based on what fitbit thinks your going to burn by the end of the day.

The Calories in vs Out tile shows you how many calories you have consumed compared to how many you have currently burned. For example:

My Calories in Vs out tile:
    1660 burned (as of 9:03pm)
    930 consumed (as of 9:03pm)

Food Plan tile:
    674 calories left
    930 consumed out of 1604
    ** Since I'm set for a 250 calorie deficit, it thinks by the end of the day I will burn 1854 calories based on the last sync of 6:08pm**
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Okay so I may have spent the day wandering around aimlessly and running around my living room trying to make the numbers work but I ended up right on track! I think it was a matter of waiting for those other calories to burn before midnight.

One other question though is I'm not sure how healthy the 1000 calorie deficit is for losing 2lbs a week. Maybe I'm understanding it wrong but...

ate: 1700
    burned: 2700

-1000 deficit. that puts me at only 700 calories net, doesn't it? That seems really unhealthy. I thought you were supposed to have a net of 1200 calories a day minimum?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    No, that's just a 1000 calorie deficit, which is safe. There is no 'net calories' in the Fitbit plan.
  • sls8
    sls8 Posts: 4
    Options
    Would you be so kind as to school me on how the heck to get my fitbit to sync with my MFP? Why does MFP tell you upon registering your fitbit that you never log into fitbit again and only use MFP? Is that what everyone does? I like my fitbit dashboard, but now I am so utterly confused on what the heck to use/do. PLUS, my calories on fitbit (the ones i need to eat) are NOT what MFP says to eat...only eating 1200 is not good for me, and I don't know how to edit MFP to just follow what fitbit.com already has registered/planned for me...

I feel frustrated, thank you for your help!

Stephanie
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You lost me.
    I set my goals on mfp. 1620 calories currently for maintenance assuming I'm sedentary.
    I aim for 12000 steps a day on fit bit. In the afternoon I sync and again in the evening. If I have been sufficiently active my calorie goal for the day goes up and I can eat something a bit more exciting for dinner or have pudding!. Often I have about 200 to spare which I leave as I don't mind a small deficit. Other times I suddenly remember I didn't log something so it's nice to have that little buffer.
    You are right about one thing, it is not wise to net under 1200 long term, unless you have a huge amount to lose and are under medical supervision.
  • riirii93_
    Options
    You lost me.
    I set my goals on mfp. 1620 calories currently for maintenance assuming I'm sedentary.
    I aim for 12000 steps a day on fit bit. In the afternoon I sync and again in the evening. If I have been sufficiently active my calorie goal for the day goes up and I can eat something a bit more exciting for dinner or have pudding!. Often I have about 200 to spare which I leave as I don't mind a small deficit. Other times I suddenly remember I didn't log something so it's nice to have that little buffer.
    You are right about one thing, it is not wise to net under 1200 long term, unless you have a huge amount to lose and are under medical supervision.
    I'll preface that my BMR is only around 1300 or 1400, I'm 140 lbs and 5'6 and am only trying to lose 10 lbs.

My MFP and fitbit dashboards/home are completely different. Like MFP said yesterday "*You've earned 949 extra calories from exercise today" after I ate 1700 calories, netting me w only 800 something and that I have 300 something calories left to eat.

Fitbit told me I ate 1719 calories, burned 2731 calories (including BMR) but said I have no calories left to eat. This is a 1000 calorie deficit but I don't see how that can possibly be healthy if I'm netting less than 1200, especially at my weight. I know that's still only a 2 lb a week weight loss but it sounds fishy for the little amount of weight I want to lose!
  • riirii93_
    Options
    Would you be so kind as to school me on how the heck to get my fitbit to sync with my MFP? Why does MFP tell you upon registering your fitbit that you never log into fitbit again and only use MFP? Is that what everyone does? I like my fitbit dashboard, but now I am so utterly confused on what the heck to use/do. PLUS, my calories on fitbit (the ones i need to eat) are NOT what MFP says to eat...only eating 1200 is not good for me, and I don't know how to edit MFP to just follow what fitbit.com already has registered/planned for me...

I feel frustrated, thank you for your help!

Stephanie

To be honest this was my first day and I'm still working out the details there. In response to the part about not logging into fitbit again and only using MFP, it means you don't log your food or workouts (except for step based ones like running or walking) on FitBit. You log food and non step workouts on MFP and it will take those into account on your fitbit via MFP. Don't use fitbit to log food or workouts like strength training, tennis, dance, or elliptical for example) I'm having issues w the calories lining up on MFP with Fitbit too. Ill let you know ifI figure that out.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Fitbit told me I ate 1719 calories, burned 2731 calories (including BMR) but said I have no calories left to eat. This is a 1000 calorie deficit but I don't see how that can possibly be healthy if I'm netting less than 1200, especially at my weight. I know that's still only a 2 lb a week weight loss but it sounds fishy for the little amount of weight I want to lose!

Fitbit doesn't use "net" that is an MFP thing.

Example:

Burn 2500 according to fitbit
    eat 1500
    Deficit 1000 calories

now on MFP would be slightly different

estimated burn before exercise of 1800
    calorie goal of 1200
    deficit of 600 calories
    eat 1200
    fitbit adjustment/ exercise subtract 700 calories from the 1200 you ate
    NET 500
    MFP is going to say you have 700 calories left to eat to maintain a 600 calorie deficit
    So in this scenario to keep the 1000 calorie deficit, you would have to NET 800.

The reason for this is the settings you chose when you set up your MFP profile. If you say you want a 1000 calorie deficit, but MFP thinks you only burn 1800 calories before exercise (example number) than you will only get a 600 calorie deficit. MFP won't go lower than 1200 calories. Fitbit on the other hand has no problem letting you go below 1200. Probably because the more you move, the more calories you earn and this is reflected on the dashboard there. For example, if I saw that I only had 800 calories to eat for the day than I would get up and move my a** so I could eat a bit more. You could try upping your activity level here on MFP and see if it balances the calories out between the 2 sites. My guess is you underestimated your activity level here.
  • riirii93_
    Options
    I didn't underestimate activity level on MFP because I have it synced with fitbit. I just used THEIR estimation, which ended me w a dangerously low net on MFP. I still don't think we're understanding one another here.. I know how both systems work but it seems wrong that fitbit's nets are ending me w so little calories on MFP. Still super confused.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    I didn't underestimate activity level on MFP because I have it synced with fitbit. I just used THEIR estimation, which ended me w a dangerously low net on MFP. I still don't think we're understanding one another here.. I know how both systems work but it seems wrong that fitbit's nets are ending me w so little calories on MFP. Still super confused.

Okay. Look at your "Goals" page here on MFP.
    2ljjms2.jpg
    If you are getting large adjustments from fitbit, than you did underestimate your activity level here. Notice the 2 areas I've highlighted.
    What kind of deficit do you have here? It's probably not 1000. Thus the difference between the 2 sites. With the activity level you picked, MFP wouldn't let you have a 1000 calorie deficit. Fitbit on the other hand will always let you have a 1000 calorie deficit if you want it.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Fitbit works more like using TDEE rather than a NEAT system like MFP does.

With a TDEE system, you do not have to eat back your calories. With a NEAT system, you do eat back your calories.

It's too different ways to track calories.

Now, this being said -- MFP will pull Fitbit's information over only after you have gone beyond MFP's "total projected calories for the day" (unless you allow negative calorie reporting from fitbit, but that's another animal). There is a possibility that MFP's total projected calories isn't quite right on the money, because the 1000 calorie deficit reported in fitbit was still a healthy deficit (because your intake was 1700 cals so you deffo ate enough). If you have your activity level in MFP set as sedentary, for example, and you aren't actually sedentary it may be lowballing your projected calories and therefore pulling the information into MFP from Fitbit a little earlier than it should. That can be changed in the "Goals" tab. :)
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Here I'll play with my settings for an example:

MFP set to "Sedentary"
    MFP set to "2lb per week loss"

2e4l0l0.jpg
    MFP won't let me have a 1000 calorie deficit, because it would drop me below 1200 calories. So it does the best it can and gives me a 770 calorie deficit.

Now, Fitbit:
    1000 calorie deficit
    calorie estimation off
    food calories based on bmr alone...no activity
    14wema0.jpg
    This will obviously change as I get moving.

Now that we have that difference established. Lets go back and look at a more active day.

Keep in mind MFP is always going to want a 770 calorie deficit for me.
    r0wcap.jpg
    So for this day, MFP would have wanted me to eat: 1477 (remember it only has me at a 770 calorie deficit)
    Fitbit on the other hand would have wanted me to eat 1247 (remember it is set to a 1000 calorie deficit)
    2ebsqd5.jpg
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Tagged to read later as I am still getting to grips with this too
  • riirii93_
    Options
    Okay I think I finally get this after playing w a TDEE calculator and the settings on my fitbit account. This makes so much more sense now. Shame I'm so slow it took me so long to figure out :laugh: thanks for your patience :heart:.

So let me ask you if this is right:

My TDEE at sedentary is 1713.

However I really doubt I would only burn 1713 in a normal day (given moderate walking and what not)

I set my TDEE calories burned goal to 2150, because that seems right/avg for my activity level based on the past 2 days.

Say I want to lose 1.5 lbs a week. I would subtract 750 calories from my TDEE which would be 1400 calories.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Okay so I may have spent the day wandering around aimlessly and running around my living room trying to make the numbers work but I ended up right on track! I think it was a matter of waiting for those other calories to burn before midnight.

One other question though is I'm not sure how healthy the 1000 calorie deficit is for losing 2lbs a week. Maybe I'm understanding it wrong but...

ate: 1700
    burned: 2700

-1000 deficit. that puts me at only 700 calories net, doesn't it? That seems really unhealthy. I thought you were supposed to have a net of 1200 calories a day minimum?

1000 is too big of a deficit for you. You aren't that big. I would use a more moderate amount like 500 or possibly even 250 as long as you are being very vigilant about weighing everything etc. It is easy to misjudge.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You lost me.
    I'll preface that my BMR is only around 1300 or 1400, I'm 140 lbs and 5'6 and am only trying to lose 10 lbs.

My MFP and fitbit dashboards/home are completely different. Like MFP said yesterday "*You've earned 949 extra calories from exercise today" after I ate 1700 calories, netting me w only 800 something and that I have 300 something calories left to eat.

It's a large deficit.
    You only have 10 lbs to lose.
    I would suggest at most 0.75-1.5 lbs max per week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1386749-article-review-evidence-based-nutrition-and-supplements

Say I want to lose 1.5 lbs a week. I would subtract 750 calories from my TDEE which would be 1400 calories.

Yes.
  • riirii93_
    Options
    Thank you guys!! :D I finally get it.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You should probably go with a 500 calorie deficit and allow yourself to be up to 250 under that for most but not all days. It accomplishes the same thing, but beating the target by a variable number every day becomes more of a game and and a lot more engaging than just eating to a static total number. That's what I did and it worked really well and I didn't feel anywhere as guilty for days when I didn't beat the target. I feel I lost more this way than if I had always tried to hit that 500 calorie deficit every day and the stress with occasionally going over.
  • riirii93_
    Options
    That's a good idea, mike! Thanks for the tip.