Getting to 1200

Options
Im having a very hard time getting to my 1200.I find I have to eat when im not hungrty at all just to get close and not come way under especialy with my exercise.Should I eat when im not hungry,or not worry so much where I end up

Replies

• paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    Very good question. I'm having the same problem. I'll be looking to see how this one is answered.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should try to eat when you are not hungry, or eat more calorie heavy meals when you are hungry. Obviously, don't eat to the point where you make yourself sick, but try to eat more frequently. 1200 calories is definitely a minimum that everyone should try to hit, and more if you exercise.
  • adamstc88
    adamstc88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing too. I have been short the 1200 calorie mark too plus exercising.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me, I just eat something with more calories. For instance if I want a snack and I have lots of calories for the day, I will have an apple and peanut butter. Peanut butter is a good filler, because it is a small amount for a lot of calories.

There are sometimes when I'm just not hungry, so I don't push it. You just have to make the call.

Tonight I might have extra if I have a good workout. I'm going to treat myself with a little wine. Good for my heart and 4 oz is an easy 120 or so. :bigsmile:
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What are you guys eating?? I think just breathing air is 400 cals for me :laugh: Seriously, as someone who's trying to stick to 1200 cals, please share a typical day.
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Just an idea, but try to plan your meals and exercise the day before. If you can see you are going to be under, add something with extra calories to your meals.

When I'm going to be under, I try to eat extra for breakfast - I can then use it to fuel me through the days exercise!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Try to eat every 3 hours, about 250 calories each time (if you eat 5 times a day). Eat some good protein throughout the day, get some healthy fat, and fruits and veggies. It may be hard in the beginning especially when you are not hungry, but that is because your metabolism has slowed down since you are not eating enough. Once you get your "fire" burning again, it will be easier to get the meals down every 3 hours.
  • adamstc88
    Options
    Peanut Butter yummy! Thanks I will remember that! I just started Monday and I have been short around 200 calories but really not wanting to eat sweets at night. But I could use Peanut Butter and get a little protein too.
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    I have a hard time staying under my calories. But that's what got me here. Choose things that are full fat instead of fat free or low fat. I second the peanut butter if you can have that. Eat more protein. We can't see your food diary so it is hard to give suggestions without seeing what you typically eat.
  • Italiangal37
    Italiangal37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Advocare Meal Replacement Shakes (220 cal/24 carb/24g protein) on the nights I workout and don't get home til almost 9pm. That way I'm not stuffed when I go to bed and I've at least had protein to keep me going. Good luck.:smile:
  • Courtneynin
    Options
    I took a class a while ago and the instructor told me that if you consume less than 1200 calories a day your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism actually slows down - the opposite of the effect most of us are looking for. :(
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I ate all my calories each day, hungry or not. If I didn't eat them all, I stopped losing weight. As long as I ate my calories I lost weight. This was a very hard thing for me to beleive, but it's so very true. You have to eat to lose weight. I lost 20lbs in about 21 weeks.

I hope you find a system that works for you and good luck on your journey.
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've also been falling lower than 1200 cals. Last 2 days I've been trying to go over since it keeps telling me that's starving myself lol But my sugar and sodium go over even though I thought most of my stuff wasn't high in sodium...
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I use to have this problem. Took me a long time to adjust to the new eating. I eat a bigger breakfast now than I use to. I'm not a big lunch person. Here is a sample day for me http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/melkneec?date=2011-01-18 feel free to see the other days. :) Not all my days are like this. lol :)
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    I have been eating small portions every 2-3 hours which is about 5 meals a day (small 240 calorie meals) and that comes to 1200 a day.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of oatmeal and fruit.raw veggies.those are usally my meals.the only time im ever really hungry is in the middle of the night,to the point that it wakes me up.but i usally just go right back to sleep
  • LonnaRox
    LonnaRox Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Foods Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber
    Breakfast
    Morningstar - Veggie Breakfast Sausage Patties, 1 pattie 80 3g 3g 10g 0mg 260mg 1g 1g
    Thomas - English Muffin - 100 Calories, 1 Muffin 100 24g 1g 4g 0mg 220mg 0g 5g
    Papayas - Raw, 1 cup, cubes 55 14g 0g 1g 0mg 4mg 8g 3g
    Aldis Egg - Large Egg, 1 Egg 70 1g 5g 6g 215mg 65mg 0g 0g
    Pace - Medium Picante Sauce, 2 tbsp (30mL) 10 2g 0g 0g 0mg 250mg 2g 1g
    Lunch
    Stockpot® - Organic Vegetarian Chili With Four Beans, 1 cup 220 35g 4g 10g 0mg 800mg 8g 11g
    Avocado - 1 Medium, 0.5 avocado 161 9g 15g 2g 0mg 7mg 1g 7g
    Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Shredded Cheese - Mexican Blend, 1/3 cup (28g) 110 0g 9g 6g 25mg 170mg 0g 0g
    Red Onion - Red Onion Slice, 2.8 onces 10 5g 0g 0g 0mg 0mg 4g 1g
    Dinner
    Trader Joe's Soy Protein Powder - Vanilla - Protein Powder, 2 scoops (33g) 120 1g 2g 25g 0mg 1mg 0g 0g
    Kirkland Signature - Organic Vanilla Soy Milk, 1 Cup 100 9g 4g 7g 0mg 95mg 7g 1g
    TOTAL: 1,036 103g 43g 71g 240mg 1,872mg 31g 30g
  • adamstc88
    Options
    I just started so this was my last two days. I will have to adjust.

Breakfast - quaker instant grits
    snack apple
    lunch Orowheat bun with Chicken sausage, 10 grapes tomatoes, SF jello choc pudding
    snack pretzels
    snack dole peaches
    dinner
    chicken breast, salad with light ceaser dressing, grape tomatoes, WW shredded chesse,
    100 snack pack cookies
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that has serious issues with staying under 1,200 calories???
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone.Im strill trying to get used to tracking my eating,and you all really helped.:heart: