Anyone quit smoking and lost weight?

Options
I have my first weekly weigh in tomorrow when I wake up and today (had last cig last night at 9PM) I decided to quit smoking. I have attempted to keep busy so far but cravings are strong. It is now 12.09PM and I want to eat or smoke. I quit due to constant bowts of tonsillitis/swollen glands which today already feels better. I don't know what to dooooooo! I've read all the books, researched, joined groups and now I just want to eat or smoke.

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Find a third option, take it.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker since I was 17. (Am 36 now). I quit smoking November 19 2012.
    I gained the 28lbs I am now trying to lose.

I quit cold turkey. Just woke up one day and decided I was done.
    It was hard! It still is....but, I keep on keeping on.

The only thing I can suggest for the cravings - as I too would eat more - is to drink a large glass of water - CHUG IT - for me, it helped in the beginning.

Also, the first 3 days are the physical addiction you are fighting.. after those 3 days, it is the mental battle. As with any addiction, take it one day at a time, and remember who you are doing this for!
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I can totally sympathize! I was already on my weightloss journey when I decided to quit smoking to improve my health (and lung compacitity for cardio) I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 10 years (16-26). I needed to keep my mouth and hands busy so I did a lot of coloring, puzzles and chewed a ton of sugar free gum and mints. Try not to sit around and dwell on that cigarette. If you can, take a short power walk whenever the urge hits, it really helps. Hang in there, you got this!! :smile:
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know e-cigs are controversial but I do know of several people who were able to quit smoking by using them.
  • katekat8481
    Options
    I quit smoking Jan 1st 2012 and have not looked back. It was very hard the first couple of weeks. (I smoked over a pack a day for 15 years) I gained some weight from quitting but was more concerned with battling the smoker habit at the time. I needed to get that under my belt before anything. There are a few quit smoking apps you can put on your phone if you have a smart phone, those helped motivate me when I started to get the urge to smoke. They countdown how long it has been and what kind of changes your body is experiencing even from the minute you decide to quit. Huge help. Stay focused, drink lots of water, chew gum and go for walks when you can. You got this.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker since I was 17. (Am 36 now). I quit smoking November 19 2012.
    I gained the 28lbs I am now trying to lose.

I quit cold turkey. Just woke up one day and decided I was done.
    It was hard! It still is....but, I keep on keeping on.

The only thing I can suggest for the cravings - as I too would eat more - is to drink a large glass of water - CHUG IT - for me, it helped in the beginning.

Also, the first 3 days are the physical addiction you are fighting.. after those 3 days, it is the mental battle. As with any addiction, take it one day at a time, and remember who you are doing this for!

Pretty much my story too.

Hang in there, it was the hardest thing I ever did, now I am so happy that I quit!
  • nicoleyg
    nicoleyg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking (again). The first time lasted for 4 years. This time on May 25, 2014 I smoked my last cigarette and havent looked back. The urges are hard sometimes, flavorful sugar free gum,(cinnamon works really good), drinking a lot of water, and taking extra walks will help get you over the hurdles. I read online that a craving only lasts 2-3 minutes, although it seems like an hour. I just focused on my breathing, tried to think about anything else and waited for the urge to pass. You can do this, hang in there. Think of all of the reasons you have to quit. Good luck!
  • mroo2014
    mroo2014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    First of all - congrats on making the decision to stop smoking! I quit 2 months ago after 8 years and started a full healthy lifestyle 1 month ago tomorrow and have lost 11lbs so hopefully I can offer you some advice and support :)

It is possible to lose weight and quit smoking at the same time but you are going to have to prioritise one whilst working on the other (I say this from personal experience, a smoker generally falters at temptations and stressful situations... and by falters I mean smokes... so if you fail at healthy eating you're more than likely going to want to turn to cigarettes to compensate for how you are feeling and vice versa).

For me, quitting smoking was a far more urgent goal to fix and would have got in the way of my weight loss goals. I found that after a week or so my mind was feeling so much stronger and I was starting to make healthy food choices at the same time which is where a full restructure of my eating and exercise choices came from and have worked so far.

But here are some tips that helped me and I have no cravings or thoughts of cigarettes anymore.
    - get the smoke free app (or another app that will tell you how many days you've been quit for, how much money you've saved and makes you think about your cravings during the day - that part is important, you need to completely change the way your mind is attached to smoking and the only way to do that is find out what triggers your cravings/what makes one craving worse than another).
    -put the money aside that you have saved from not smoking... it's just amazing to see that total go up everyday.
    - use reddit quit smoking site. thousands of people going through the same thing and it gives you something to relate to and be motivated by).
    - tell your friends and family you've quit.
    - be honest with yourself about why you want to quit and get advice from professionals. I went to see a dentist and got the shock of my life so that really helped but I know doctors can test your lung capacity at different stages so you can see how it's improved without cigarettes.
    - don't see it as though you're depriving yourself from cigarettes, see it as improving your life (as of right now, I have "gained" 16 days due to not smoking). Your food will taste better, you won't wake up feeling horrible every morning and your clothes won't smell all the time.
    -I used nicotene patches for the first 3 days and then didn't need them anymore... I have massive respect for people who go in cold turkey - it's not impossible :)
    - exercise! That is like one direct measure to see how not smoking is improving your body functions.
    -Talk about it with people and do some research - get smart of what smoking really does to you and then you can make better educated choices when cravings strike.

Sorry this is quite lengthy, I just know the struggle all to well! Feel free to add me if you want some help or need someone to talk things through with :)

Also, this is all from personal experience - different things work for different people.
  • MissyF19
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!! I smoked for 12 years, atleast a pack a day, and quit on December 2, 2013. I also quit soda at the same time because, for me, they went hand in hand.

I tried to steer clear of the weight gain, so I trained and completed a half marathon. BUT as soon as I was done training, the weight came on. I spoke to my doctor and it was because my body had still never learned how to maintain without some type of stimulation (smoking, extreme running, etc). So the best advice I can give you is be ready for a few pounds to be added - and mentally be ready to tackle them. Make conscience, healthy eating decisions - but most importantly - dont smoke! Any weight you gain will not go away just because you start smoking again. Good luck!!
  • becomingittybittyme
    becomingittybittyme Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cold turkey about two weeks ago. It's hard sometimes, mostly because I have anxiety, but I haven't gained any weight because of it. I had to quit for medical reasons though. I had asthma as a child, grew out of it, and because I smoked for a while, my asthma came back. I think the hardest thing I have encountered since I had to quit because of asthma is that my friends still smoke and if they smoke while I'm hanging out with them, I have to walk away until they're done.
  • OhhNiff
    OhhNiff Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I quit almost four years ago when I found out I was pregnant. Needless to say I gained a lot of weight replacing cigarettes with food. Even though it's been a while since I quit, I still get cravings now and again. Drinking something helps, gum, or chewing on a straw. Basically smoking is just an oral fixation so you'll need something to either keep your mind off of it or a healthy alternative to avoid picking up another cigarette as well as avoid eating too much.

Best of luck!
  • alg121710
    alg121710 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 4 years ago and have lost weight (about 115-120 pounds). Smoking was holding me back from losing weight because I didn't see the point in exercising or getting healthy when I was doing something so unhealthy. It's possible, you just have to get your mind right and not expect to always be perfect. I have slipped up and had a cigarette a couple of times but I didn't let that derail my efforts...just like I haven't let my occasionally poor food/alcohol choices mess up my weight loss.

It's all mental - there's no law saying you have to replace cigarettes with food. : ) I read a book -the Easy Way to Stop Smoking and it helped me to quit. I still have cravings every once in a while but I associate smoking with being 300 pounds and I don't want to go back there...smoking a cigarette is not worth it now.

Good luck and congrats on making this choice!!
  • Dugie86
    Dugie86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I quit almost 9 months ago. I couldn't do both at the same time so I just focused on the non smoking. I gained 42lbs. In April I decided to start working on the weight. It's gone really slow but I'm doing it. I can run now and not feel like I'm going to die.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking after 20 yrs. I gained 20 lbs without changing my diet or exercise. After 2 yrs, I started again. That lasted 2 yrs and I quit again. This is when I started using this site about . I changed my diet and exercised 3 times a week at the gym. I also played an occasional game of tennis. I only gained 4 lbs.

It can be done. Just don't lose focus. It's a lifestyle change.
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am two months quit as of today. I smoked two packs a day for ~12 years. I am on my last week of the patch which is working wonderfully for me. I decided not to worry about weight gain when I quit this time and I put on ten pounds. Personally, not smoking was more important then the weight. After about a month of not smoking I started to have more energy and get my taste buds back. I also realized I really didn't want to have to buy larger pants. So now I am counting calories and going to the gym/walking a few days a week. In the past when I quit smoking AND made other major lifestyle changes I failed at both. Focus on quitting and you will have the motivation for the rest of it later. Also don't feel bad if you decide to use nicotine replacement therapy. Cold turkey is one way to do it but not the only one. Using the patch properly has been a life saver for me.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 4 years ago (almost to the day) and lost about 30 lbs (sadly bad habits made me gain it back which is why I'm here now). I found when I really needed a smoke I'd do something active (forcing myself to breath heavy helped a lot with cravings). I'd do jumping jacks or "run" on the treadmill or even go to a park and play on the swings lol. I found distraction the best thing for cravings. And if it really came down to eating or smoking I'd pick eating. I wanted to both but I decided quitting smoking was my first priority. And after a week or so without smoking I had more energy so I'd get up in the mornings and workout. You can do both but you may need to pick which is your top priority.

Good luck to you!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Not at the same time. But yeah, when I quit I wanted to eat all the time too.

Chew gum. It kept my mouth busy.

And just push through. It gets better.
  • ElegantGloom
    Options
    I quit smoking three months ago, and used Wellbutrin to do so. I had no ill side effects, no horrible cravings, no weight gain. Wellbutrin also causes weight loss, and it shows, I've lost 19 pounds already! (with calorie restriction and exercise as well)If you have insurance they will most likely cover the entire cost. It would be worth talking to your doctor if you are really worried about weight gain.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I quit in 2003 with an unopened pack in my glove box. That pack is still there and I gained a lot of weight. lol
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The smoking habit has several elements, each of which can be addressed separately to help end your dependence:

1. Nicotine. You can either endure withdrawal cold-turkey, or ask your doc for a patch or chantix.
    2. Mouth activity. You can address this chewing gum, eating celery (which has fewer calories than you expend chewing it), or tying cherry stems in a knot with your tongue. Be creative. Give your mouth something to do.
    3. Hand activity. Pen twirling helps here. Juggling. Writing by hand. Keyboard entry. Something to keep your hands busy.
    4. Stress break. The typical smoker gets a craving, stops work, walks outside 10 minutes for a cancer stick, and comes back inside to resume working. When you get a craving, stop work, walk outside 10 minutes to take a walk around the building or neighborhood, come back inside, and resume working.

You can probably think of other things that are part of your smoking habit--rituals that you can skew just slightly to give you the same satisfaction without the actual cigarette. But these are among the most common.

add: continue to watch your calories. But if nothing changes, you will gain weight over about a 3 month span because you are not expending the metabolic overhead to detoxify all the poisons in the cancer-sticks. Give your body some time to heal and don't sweat the weight if its 10-20 lbs. After 3 or 4 months of healing, then you can work on diet and exercise to bring your weight back down. Trying to control or reduce weight while fighting nicotine addiction may overstress your self-discipline--why make both quitting and weight control any harder than they have to be?

Other factors to consider--the average smoker quits 7 times before quitting forever. People who are both cigarette and heroin addicts report that cigarettes are harder to quit than heroin! So go easy on yourself. Just like dieting--if you have a cupcake, don't abandon your weight loss effort. If you have a cigarette, don't abandon your quitting effort. Log it and move on. Later you might analyze what factors lead to your transgression & figure ways that situation won't trip you up again.