Comments from friends and family

Options
When I start dieting and my friends and family first notice I am losing weight they are always supportive but it isn't long before the comments start like, "You look great the way you are' or "Don't lose to much weight it is unhealthy." These types of comments don't help.

What comments do you receive from your friends and family that "deflate" your motivation?

Replies

• Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    "Aren't you a little bit o-o-o-ld to be doing that!"
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Because I've lost a lot of weight, it's fairly evident to my family that I've been dieting, I haven't kept it a secret or anything. Various comments, mostly positive, but the one thing that really annoys me.
    Whenever I have any type of food, my dad will jokingly gasp and point and be like ':O that's fattening! you can't have that!' and make elaborate gestures and just make me feel really self conscious, -.- I'm calorie counting dammit! I can have whatever I god damn like ugh.
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This was a family friend when I told her that a friend of mine was going to let me use the Insanity DVD's he has.. She said "Why would you waste your time, you can't do it anyway" Definitely made me feel horrible!!
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    "You have NO butt!" Fyou I'm working on it!

My mom always compliments the hell out of me but my dad wont say anything positive...when i talk about getting strong he talks about how strong he used to be or how strong a guy at work is. I'm pretty sure he's proud just for some reason won't say so.

My inlaws are horribly demotivating to my wife too. "Your legs are too skinny" "you look anorexic" "would you SHUT UP about calories?"

The mother in law is crazy too...she refuses to buy my sis-in-law a food scale and won't drive her to the gym. I think it's because she's jealous that we are all trying to get in shape and she won't get out of her own way to do the same. She's gone gluten free (for no reason that I know of), she does cleanses (again dunno why), only eats organic, she buys exercise equipment but everytime I see her she's layed up on the couch asking her youngest daughter to do something for her. But she is the "guru" about weight loss and tells everyone what they need to do if they want to get healthy...I'm sorry but taking advice from someone 100lbs overweight who lays on the couch all day and night does not seem like a healthy idea.
  • accelerashawn
    Options
    This was a family friend when I told her that a friend of mine was going to let me use the Insanity DVD's he has.. She said "Why would you waste your time, you can't do it anyway" Definitely made me feel horrible!!
    ouch...seriously:
    tori-spelling-slap.gif
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I adore my husband, truly, but the man has NO clue about nutrition. He won't bat an eye if we have pizza and wings for dinner but the next day he sees me packing my baked eggs and says "that's not healthy!".
    Me: (smirk) What's not healthy about it?
    Him: greasy eggs and fatty ham
    Me: um, no, I only sprayed the muffin tin with Pam, there's no grease. And the ham is quite lean.
    Him: (blank stare)
    Me: (big cheesy grin, goes back to packing lunch/snacks)

He also thinks peanut butter is the worst thing you can eat. smh
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My brother's friend told me that my head is too big for me to lose weight and that if I lose much more I will look like a bobble head. It sounds like a joke but he was dead serious.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My brother's friend told me that my head is too big for me to lose weight and that if I lose much more I will look like a bobble head. It sounds like a joke but he was dead serious.

That is the funniest/stoopidest comment ever! As an old friend of mine used to say "Some people are more stupid than they look".

My family lives over 3000 miles away, so that solves the potential problem of demotivating, rude comments from the likeliest suspects! I only see them every few years, so by the time I see them next I won't know what they're talking about. DH and DD are wonderfully supportive by essentially ignoring my weight loss. DH thinks I'm sexy, although he always did, and DD likes that she can get her arms around me now, but that's the extent of it. DH gets a bit fed up that I keep complaining about clothes being too big, but since I'm petite and now XS (with 15lbs still to go), he's used to it.

MIL is trickier. She has spent her entire life losing weight (although she looks just fine to me and always has), and has no problem talking about weight and "diets" around my 8 year-old daughter, which we don't allow (we only discuss health and nutrition when she's around). The way MIL talks about it suggests that a person's worth is directly related to whether their weight is "normal" or "good" and I find that concept repellent.

Colleagues are more difficult. I work from home, and every single time I've had a meeting or conference since APRIL, I've had a load of people comment on my weight. All lovely comments, I have to add (my boss declaring that she now has a teenager working for her! was the sweetest by far), but the whole thing was incredible uncomfortable for me. This week was the first time it hasn't happened and it's been BLISSFUL to just be a person instead of a weight-loss story again. I wish some people would just shut their cakeholes and talk about the weather TBH.
  • accelerashawn
    Options
    This reminds me...I bought a size Large helmet for my bike cuz it said 58-59cm...i remembered being 58cm in college so i figured i was safe...i couldn't squeeze it onto my head without my eyeballs popping out...so i returned it for the XL which was for 60-61cm...It fit well. My head actually measured 60.25cm.

Now that i've lost weight....my head measures 57.5cm. So your head does shrink...(btw, i'm definitely not trying to imply you have a big head...cuz you don't...just sayin that in general you lose weight everywhere including your dome)
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The other day while cooking I made a comment to my boyfriend that I would like to buy a food scale, so I know how much meat I am eating. I am good at measuring out my liquid foods and even counting my servings for crackers/snacks, but have no way of knowing how many oz of meat I am consuming except for eyeballing it (which I do a decent job at based on the weight given on the meat packages, but not perfect).

Here was my boyfriend's response:

"WHY? You already count calories, work out 6 days a week, you even count out 16 wheat thins! You are not fat, you are not even the slightest bit overweight, I think that is a little too extreme."

Now he is very supportive of my workouts and healthy eating, yet he is 6 feet tall and 145 lbs... without even trying. He has never had to worry about what he eats and may never have to. He sees all that I am doing now and the idea of me going further with my weight loss/health efforts to him is insane and too extreme.

Any advice on how to help him see that although he is lucky and does not need to worry about things like that, I DO!?
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my life has been pretty supportive. My parents say they're proud of me and what not. When I started weighing food last year, I thought my roommates (3 other women) would think I was nuts. But not one of them said one thing about it.

I hear a lot of the "Oh that's unhealthy! This is healthier! No chemicals! More cardio!" From people my age, but I just ignore it and try not to engage.

The most hurtful thing that's been said about me to date was by my father though. I love my Dad and he's a great guy. One day the three of us (me and my parents) were at the gym. My parents were walking on the track that loops around and passes the squat rack. I was resting between sets, and my parents had looped around a bit (Also both overweight). My Dad turns to my Mom, thinking I can't hear, and says "Everytime we pass her, she's not doing anything." When I asked him to do OHSP with me once, he smirked like it was stupid. This is honestly the only thing in my life that I have been hurt by from my Dad, and it is really minor. I'm not sure why but he seems to be resistant to me lifting/not think it's worth it, and it really gets to me.
  • dopeysmelly
    Options
    The other day while cooking I made a comment to my boyfriend that I would like to buy a food scale, so I know how much meat I am eating. I am good at measuring out my liquid foods and even counting my servings for crackers/snacks, but have no way of knowing how many oz of meat I am consuming except for eyeballing it (which I do a decent job at based on the weight given on the meat packages, but not perfect).

"WHY? You already count calories, work out 6 days a week, you even count out 16 wheat thins! You are not fat, you are not even the slightest bit overweight, I think that is a little too extreme."

Now he is very supportive of my workouts and healthy eating, yet he is 6 feet tall and 145 lbs... without even trying. He has never had to worry about what he eats and may never have to. He sees all that I am doing now and the idea of me going further with my weight loss/health efforts to him is insane and too extreme.

Any advice on how to help him see that although he is lucky and does not need to worry about things like that, I DO!?

DH thinks I'm a bit extreme weighing out everything too, but we've decided that I'll do my thing and he'll do his (he tracks for sodium/potassium to control high blood pressure). We've both been successful so far (me losing weight and he getting his blood pressure under control), so I think more-or-less minding your own business and trying not to take offhand comments too seriously works best.

In my experience, you can't change anyone else's mind unless they want you to. I wouldn't waste your energy on trying to change his mind. Just do your own thing, and buy the scale!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options

Punch him in his ear hole.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I started slow, like 45 lb took me 4.5 years to lose slow. But since joining MFP I've dropped 86 lb in 16 months, and what I have noticed is that after I lost the first 30 lb on MFP a lot of family, friends, acquaintances got "concerned" and told me I may be losing too quickly or said things like "How much more do you want to lose!? Plus, you're tall!" I was still well over 200 lb, and needed to lose more...but I really think that most of them were genuinely concerned because they had never seen such a rapid & noticeable change in me.

Now that I've lost a lot more weight 99% of the comments I get are positive - even from the same people who were so "concerned" at this time last year. I think there are a variety of reasons for this, but mainly I think it's because A) they have gotten used to the slimmer me, and B) they see that I am full of energy, happy, healthy, etc.

I also think along the way when you're losing a lot of weight it is common to go through a lot of short phases where maybe you're losing kind of oddly or it looks weird on you. There was a time much earlier on when I was very concerned about my neck looking very turkey-like and causing me to appear much older than my age, now it's pretty much gone to normal, if much slimmer than before. Part of that's probably me getting used to it, too.
  • dopeysmelly
    Options
    "Everytime we pass her, she's not doing anything."

Dads, bless 'em. It's when they come out with comments like this that leave you confused whether you should cry or cry with laughter (the whole snorting thing) that you realize how boring life would be without them. And the thing about how they think no one can hear their comments is priceless. My FIL used to do it all the time.
  • dopeysmelly
    Options
    There was a time much earlier on when I was very concerned about my neck looking very turkey-like and causing me to appear much older than my age.

That made me laugh. I've actually started to put lotion on my neck for the first time. It does look a bit scrawny without the layers of fat plumping it out.
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My family is generally supportive but they have their moments. When talking to my sister about my weight loss goals she responded that I looked really good and didn't need to lose anymore weight. She said it like she was genuinely worried about my health.
    Ok sister, well the BMI says I could stand to lose 20 more lbs. I think she meant well.
    My mom will say things like, "How much more do you want to lose?? There won't be anything left to you!" Again, I still have at least 20 lbs to go before I'm at a goal weight and will be within the healthy BMI range at that point.
    I honestly think people might get a little jealous. I also think maybe their perceptions are skewed. They are used to seeing you at a certain size and maybe don't realize what healthy size/weight for you would be.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    There was a time much earlier on when I was very concerned about my neck looking very turkey-like and causing me to appear much older than my age.

That made me laugh. I've actually started to put lotion on my neck for the first time. It does look a bit scrawny without the layers of fat plumping it out.

It's weird...although I would rather be 37 and average weight and have everyone know I am 37, than be a morbidly obese 32 yr old everyone thinks is a 24 yr old recent college graduate.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    "You are getting way too obsessed." - not obsessed - determined!!!!

"You will look unhealthy if you get down to that goal weight!" - Ummmmm.....no. I know what unhealthy looks like for me - been there - won't go back.

"I think you like fine just the way you are." - nice of them to say, but I am doing this for me.

"You never want to go to lunch with me anymore." - I would be happy to go to lunch with them, but they don't like that I don't eat out at lunch every single day.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Punch him in his ear hole.

Hahaha headofphat, I love him, but sometimes I want to! It frustrates me how easy it is for him to stay thin. He decides one day he wants to pay attention to portions and watch what he eats, and he loses 6 lbs in a week. I have to constantly remind him that if I ate like him or did not try as hard as I do, I would be huge. Unfair luck of genetics!