Batwings and Saddlebags!

Options
I'm here to report that change is possible! After two years of weight loss, working out (six classes a week combo of stength training and cardio), and maintenance, I have lost both my arm batwings and the saddlebags of my thighs.

It's a perk! I just noticed it this month. Gone. If you think it's not possible at your age, I'm 67, so forgetaboutit. ;-)

Replies

• MelaniLight
    MelaniLight Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm working on losing what little batwing and saddlebags I have, but it just seems to be taking so long! Any tips?
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am very pleased to hear that saddlebags can be vanished! Mine seem to be getting more obvious... not good :frown:
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm here to report that change is possible! After two years of weight loss, working out (six classes a week combo of stength training and cardio), and maintenance, I have lost both my arm batwings and the saddlebags of my thighs.

It's a perk! I just noticed it this month. Gone. If you think it's not possible at your age, I'm 67, so forgetaboutit. ;-)

That is brilliant! Just what we need to hear!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My tips:

1. Do what you enjoy doing. Everyone says you have to lift heavy to build muscle - not true. Maybe if you want total strength or are into competing. If you don't like doing that don't do it. I do body pump twice a week and Shred (free weights) once a week. They are strength training with cardio classes. The rest of my workouts are cardio. I think that consistency is key to toning and changing your body. If you're in a hurry, my approach may not work, but if you're in it for life, just enjoy yourself.

2. See above. ;-)

3. Make fitness your life goal. Integrate it into your day. Make healthy choices.

4. Don't pay attention to daily progress. Again, it's easier if you like what you do. See #1

5. One day I noticed that both of these babies were gone. I also noticed that I wore a smaller size even though I didn't lose any more weight. See #1

Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My tips:

1. Do what you enjoy doing. Everyone says you have to lift heavy to build muscle - not true. Maybe if you want total strength or are into competing. If you don't like doing that don't do it. I do body pump twice a week and Shred (free weights) once a week. They are strength training with cardio classes. The rest of my workouts are cardio. I think that consistency is key to toning and changing your body. If you're in a hurry, my approach may not work, but if you're in it for life, just enjoy yourself.

2. See above. ;-)

3. Make fitness your life goal. Integrate it into your day. Make healthy choices.

4. Don't pay attention to daily progress. Again, it's easier if you like what you do. See #1

5. One day I noticed that both of these babies were gone. I also noticed that I wore a smaller size even though I didn't lose any more weight. See #1

Good luck!

Um.... No they don't, so I'm in.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

That's right, NY sister, I can attest to that. it's defintely reversible with work and patience. Word!

However I have to add that lifting heavy weights really helps.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    Jacqueline,
    Great job! You look great and I bet you feel 10 years younger. Congrat's! :smile:
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Hoping to lose the belly hang eventually here.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    No doubt heavy lifting would be an added benefit but another 60 year old checking in with 63 pounds gone in 53 weeks. No more bat wings, saddlebags OR belly flap. All gone. Bye Bye. Probable cause: 40/30/30 (carbs, proteins, fats), lots of cardio and Pilates. No gimmicks, no money spent (except for an inexpensive stationary recumbent bike because I was having knee problems when weighing over 200 pounds). Eat less, move more. Youtube has some GREAT full length exercise videos. YOU can do it too.

Great Job Jacqueline!
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I hope to be batwing and saddlebag free too when I am 67!
    Way to go!!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Sooo needed this this morning. Sometimes I do not think my body shape will ever change, even with the next 30lbs. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Great encouragement!! Thanks for the inspiration!! Time and consistency...I am working on it!! Can't wait to be batwing and saddlebag free!
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thank god! Cuz I need to ditch these lunch ladies!