Easy Salads to Bring to Work

Options
2»

Replies

• katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I eat salads every day for lunch. I'm all about shortcuts so I start with the pre-packaged organic sweet leafy greens from Central Market (I live in Central Texas so HEB and Central Market both carry this). It's a huge container and lasts me the entire week, even with using for some dinners as well.

Each morning, I slice 1 carrot, about 10 slices of cucumber and 6-10 grape tomatoes into a gallon size ziplock bag, add 3-5 cups fo the greens and you have the makings of a salad. Add a can of drained tuna and your favorite low calorie dressing right before you eat and serve yourself up some healthy, low calorie goodness. I also add a chopped apple to my salad and I use Kraft Sun Dried Tomato Dressing...totals 427 calories.

(If you don't like tuna, you can top with grilled chicken strips or add black beans for protein.)

I agree with the Kraft dressings, they are the best! I love the Roasted Red Pepper Italian dressing.. only 30 calories a serving (I usually have around 2 servings)
  • fernlori
    fernlori Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Salads sound soo good. What about dressing? I love Ranch:love: but its very high in calories, trying to ease away from creamy and go for healthy.
  • sorrias123
    sorrias123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I read someone's reply about making "Mason Jar Salads" and I made some up on Sunday for this week's lunches...even made four smaller ones for my husband and I to split as side salads for dinner. I did a basic salad, vinigrette dressing, grape tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumber, carrots, deli turkey meat and baby greens. So far they have been delicious. I'll let you know by Friday if that one tastes as fresh. It is great to walk to the fridge as I'm heading out the door, grab a jar and put in my bag...lunch to go is awesome!

Here's a link I found for ideas on some delicious salads. I'm going to make the ground turkey taco salad next week :)

http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/03/17/the-ultimate-mason-jar-salad-tutorial-and-recipe-round-up/
  • KarmaZen7
    Options
    Fruit, Hard boiled eggs, nuts, brown rice, raisins and I keep a jar of almond/peanut butter in my office..
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    My favorite summer salad is based on a grain & full of veggies.
    I use couscous, but you could substitute something else with a small grain which absorbs flavor & moisture.
    I like couscous because it's quick. Another grain you'd have to actually cook separately & drain.

Put into large bowl (4qt) & let it absorb while you chop everything else.
    2c couscous
    2c hot water
    2T lemon juice
    1T olive oil
    1t garlic powder
    1t salt
    Yes, it will turn out a bit dry, but that way it absorbs the juices from the tomatos & cuke.

Add on top of grain (go ahead & dump it in while the grain is soaking):
    1 can garbanzo beans, drained (could use black beans)
    1-2 large tomatos, chopped (1-2 c)
    1 medium cucumber, chopped (about 1.5 c; could use zucchini or summer squash)
    1 small onion, minced (red adds more color)
    1 can sliced black olives (either get an already-sliced can, or get a regular can & slice it; kalamata are great)
    4-6 oz feta cheese (buy the crumbles, or buy a block & cut it up)
    1 bunch parsley, chopped

optional:
    1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, chopped

Once the grain has had 10 min or so to absorb the water, stir everything together.
    This is best when cold, but I usually can't wait, so I have at least 1 bowl before I put it in the fridge to chill.
  • dan095541
    dan095541 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a lot of great ideas on Pinterest about Mason jar salads. Seem interesting. Mason jars are compact and travel relatively well.
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Here for some ideas, too. I'm getting a little tired of my romaine and grilled chicken salad (good, but need to venture outside my routine box).
  • munkaloo01
    Options
    Bolthouse makes a yogurt ranch dressing.. Equally delish and a serving is only 45 calories. Its next to the pre made salads in the grocery store
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Step by step salad in a jar:
    http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/03/17/the-ultimate-mason-jar-salad-tutorial-and-recipe-round-up/
    She even mentions My Fitness Pal in the article.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love this! I was just about to post about this same subject! Keep the ideas coming!! :happy: