Shin Splints on both legs.

Options
Okay so i have shin splints on both legs, however i still want to do my 5 mile walks.. i am stretching it out to help it recover.

Any advice you could give me would be great.

Replies

• JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try deep heat rub or spray. Also ice packs on them. Keep stretching and just take this easy.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Try deep heat rub or spray. Also ice packs on them. Keep stretching and just take this easy.

I was at Walmart this morning thinking do i use ice or heat!..Both apparently.. Thank you! :)
  • Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have had great luck with K tape. Here is a video link. http://www.kttape.com/instructions/shin-splints/

It sounds crazy but it works! Good luck.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Is it walking that caused the shin splints or something else? Because if you don't stop the activity that caused the shin splints they will not heal (voice of painful experience here!). There are some great articles out there for the things to do to help ease the pain. When I had them as a gymnast I'd get my ankle and lower shins taped and then soak in those awful colder-than-freezing-but-still-liquid baths for awhile after practice.

If it was a different activity that caused them then walking should be just fine while you heal as long as you aren't in agony while you're doing it.
  • Telomin
    Telomin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You should STOP whenever it starts to hurt. Otherwise the body will get adjusted and believe it's the way it's supposed to be. Unfortunatly my shin splints have already gone that far. You should do at least 3 different stretches (u couldprobably google them) total of 6 minutes every morning and night, also after workouts and/or walks. That's what my physiotherapist told me anyways :)
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Shin splints suck!!!!! I remedied them. Follow the others directions especially that active.com link

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1XvEbJUKE This video leads to the #1 shin strengthening technique I know of. I also cocked my foot in dorsiflexion and held a kettle bell up with my foot.

2. Change your shoes. If you do 5 mile walks then I know there must be some miles on your shoes. Switch them out and see how it goes.

3. Cross train!!!!! Leave the extra walking alone until you can remedy this. Bike or do Elliptical for a few weeks. Aggravating it will only hinder recovery.

4. Use Spices- Spices have anti-inflammatory effects if you don't want to use medicine.

5. Stretch your calves heavily! I mean like 3 sets of 30-60 seconds on soles and gastro parts (google it but you stretch the different parts by bending your leg or keeping it straight) Stretch shins as well. Stretching your calves will relax them so they pull on your shins less. Stretching your shins will let you loosen it up as well to get some blood flowing and make it more pliable so you will decrease your chance of injury.

Good luck and I hope this helps you get relief!!! O and make sure you do this post warm up or workout so that you don't stretch cold muscles. This could injure you. I stretch post workout and at night
  • bezerkus
    bezerkus Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I found that I got them as I got into heavy walking or running again. I shortened my walks based on pain and slowly built back up to 5 miles a day before they went away. I also replaced my shoes and started doing smaller strides while intentionally trying to come down on my shoe mid way instead of the heal. All that helped me get through them after about 3 weeks of on again off again pain.