Recreational Kayaking?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experience kayaking. I am 5'2" and 230 lbs, and I have a left ulnar nerve issue. Admittedly, I have more lower body strength than upper body. I would be in calm lakes on a sit-on-top kayak. I'm wondering how easy it is to catch on, and how strenuous it is on your arms and wrists. Thanks!!

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    i bought a sit in kayak in march. its super easy but i have pretty good upper body strength. its not hard on my wrists at all but after a day on the water you can definitely feel it in your biceps and back. you can set your own pace though so if you find it tough just dont paddle as hard. your paddling technique will improve with time which makes it easier, try to use your core to twist your body into each stroke, it will give you alot more power and will take some of the load off your arms
  • onecatleadstoanother
    onecatleadstoanother Posts: 70 Member
    What about rolling yourself back up? I think I would be stuck upside down until someone came to right me
  • BigT555
    What about rolling yourself back up? I think I would be stuck upside down until someone came to right me
    the one that i have is so wide that its nearly impossible to do an eskimo roll, ive never tipped but if i did i would just bail and re-enter once i tipped the kayak right side up. but if you have a sit on top you wont be able to do one for sure, since youre not inside the kayak just sitting on it you will lose contact with the kayak if you tip. that s why its best to practice re-entering the kayak in shallow water before you go to far off-shore
  • onecatleadstoanother
    I really appreciate your feedback. Wide kayak it is.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I have a touring kayak (sit-in style) but mostly do flat water paddling. If you are paddling properly, your wrists should not hurt at all. If you are weaker in the upper body, you'll probably feel it in your arms by the end of the day. I'm not sure about recreational kayaks, but touring ones have foot braces and to get the most power out of each stroke you push with your leg as you paddle, so it isn't all upper body. However, I am guessing recreational styles don't have that (?).
  • BigT555
    I have a touring kayak (sit-in style) but mostly do flat water paddling. If you are paddling properly, your wrists should not hurt at all. If you are weaker in the upper body, you'll probably feel it in your arms by the end of the day. I'm not sure about recreational kayaks, but touring ones have foot braces and to get the most power out of each stroke you push with your leg as you paddle, so it isn't all upper body. However, I am guessing recreational styles don't have that (?).
    my rec one has foot braces, it all depends on the model. they definitely make a huge difference, i never used to use them in other kayaks i borrowed since they werent set to the right distance but now that i have my own i actually changed them up, i was shocked at the difference they make
  • OffKilter5150
    OffKilter5150 Posts: 24 Member

You aren't physically tied into the boat, if you tip it, you will fall free as well. And on a sit on top version, it's just not possible. Kayaking is a lot of fun and has a quick learning curve!
  • onecatleadstoanother
    Oh, that's good to know, I thought the skirt kept you sucked in there - or at least that's what it looks like. How hard is it to get back in after you've been tossed with no shore around? I'm signing up for an introductory course and safety course later this month!!
  • BigT555
    Oh, that's good to know, I thought the skirt kept you sucked in there - or at least that's what it looks like. How hard is it to get back in after you've been tossed with no shore around? I'm signing up for an introductory course and safety course later this month!!
    sit-ons dont have skirts, thats only the sit-in variety and personally i never use them, they are a pain. getting back in depends on how well of a swimmer you are, your upper body strength and the stability of your kayak. its pretty easy for me since im a strong swimmer and have a really stable yak. you can also look into getting a paddle float which makes it much much easier to re-enter, they run for about $20
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    I LOVE kayaking! My husband and I went to the Florida Keys for our 10 year anniversary and kayaked almost every day we were there. We are looking at buying one for ourselves now.
  • Autk79
    Autk79 Posts: 286 Member
    Not to change up the subject but does anyone know if this is something a 13 year old boy could do? Ive really been wanting to take him?
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    I have a sit on top and I feel it in my arms, back and abs after a while! Good workout!

If you use a sit in with a skirt, you should learn how to get out of a roll - for your safety. It's not hard, but you have to learn it so you don't panic in case you do roll over. You can take a lesson or two to feel comfortable. Rolling is the first thing they teach.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    I should add, that I try to paddle hard to get a good workout - you can certainly take it easy and go at your own pace.
  • BigT555
    Not to change up the subject but does anyone know if this is something a 13 year old boy could do? Ive really been wanting to take him?
    i would say yea, he'll love it just take him out on a calm day. i went kayaking when i was younger than that if my memory serves correct
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member

We used to do a lot of kayaking on lakes and rivers.
    1) We didn't even have skirts on our boats so if for some bizarre reason you do flip (not as likely as you might think but I guess a passing speed boat might cause a big enough wave), you can just swim to the surface.
    2) Getting back in without footing can be a bit tricky but not impossible. My upper body strength isn't (or wasn't at the time) great and I was about your weight at the time and was able to do it. What we would do is come over the back of the boat and slowly pull yourself up until you could straddle the opening and then get back in. Having someone else hold the kayak steady can help too but I did it all on my own once.

Are you sure there will be rolling involved in the course? You may not have anything to worry about.

If I may suggest a brand, we LOVED Pungo's. So stable, my husband would even stand up in his and paddle around.
  • onecatleadstoanother
    The company I just signed up for lessons with will teach anyone older than 12 - and as I'm learning smaller kayaks are way cheaper!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    For those talking about rolling (aka an Eskimo roll) it is actually quite hard to execute. Most who wear a spray skirt for sit-in (aka touring) kayaks would not roll: if you capsize, just unhook the spray skirt, and VOILA! You are free. Rolling is really only necessary in whitewater though it is handy for a quick recovery if you capsize. I've been kayaking for years in ocean water, flat water, through rivers, and through heavy motorboat wake and have never capsized.

Side note: Take on waves perpendicular to them...if your kayak is parallel to the wave it will capsize you if the wave/wake is big enough.
  • I kayak as often as possible in the Kansas City area, on lakes and rivers. It's SUPER easy and very safe. I don't get much of a workout from it unless really paddling hard for a long distance, but it's a very relaxing, fun activity. Unless you are very small (short and light weight) don't get any kayak under 10 foot. Inflatable kayaks are horrible so don't let anyone talk you into one of those. Most of my kayaking buddies start with a 10 ft or 12 ft recreational or hybrid model. You don't need a skirt and won't be rolling unless you are doing whitewater or possible ocean kayaking. Check out paddling.net for good info and reviews on kayaks. If you're in the Kansas City area, message me for invitations to area kayaking outings. We have a blast!
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Explain your condition to the instructors and I'm sure they will be able to give you tips to help if there are some. Also the instructors will probably be poised and ready to help if you do turn over.
  • aslosman
    aslosman Posts: 3 Member
    Kayaking, like all hobbies is a lot more fun with the right equipment. Buying a Huffy to get into biking is not a good idea IMO.

Buying a cheap kayak is a bad idea. Cheap kayaks teach people kayaking is hard.

Look for someone who know kayaks and brands. Buy used and buy quality Necky, Prijon, Perception, Wilderness Systems and others make great plastic boats.

You can get great deals from Craigslist but you need to know what to buy.