Who do you think has it worse: overweight guys or girls?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

But really, guys are ok with sleeping with a big girl, but taking them out in public and associating with them is a whole different story. Women are more likely to get used for sex then dropped. So with being over weight, ridiculed, then used and tossed aside.. we are the "winners" here in the pity me game.

Geez that is sad and messed up. Since I never had that experience, though, I'm inclined to think it's more of a personal thing that happens to some women (or men for that matter).
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Both.
    But I think it's how you respond/what you make of it that makes it "worse". I might be fat, but I'm not going to wallow and let that affect the things I do.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    No one cares if a guy is fat, but if a girl is fat she might as well be a leper.
  • FrozenSongBird
    FrozenSongBird Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I don't think one is worse than the other.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    But really, guys are ok with sleeping with a big girl, but taking them out in public and associating with them is a whole different story. Women are more likely to get used for sex then dropped. So with being over weight, ridiculed, then used and tossed aside.. we are the "winners" here in the pity me game.

I knew a guy in my high school class when we all went off to college, he lived in a house with two other guys and whoever brought home the "fattest chick" and slept with her didn't have to buy beer for the week. Classy huh?

I think girls have it worse. I mean, look at Hollywood. Overweight male actors are cool and get main parts. Overweight females get to be the sidekick that makes fun of herself.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I truly believe there is not right answer to this question. Every person is different and carries their weight differently - whether a man or a women.

I think it comes down to confidence and how you portray yourself. You can still be bigger and have confidence and sex appeal, but it is all in how you carry yourself. If you are bigger but don't put time and effort into yourself and just look all around frumpy, then you will probably have a hard time attracting others as it is clear you don't really care. If you carry extra weight, but put time and effort into yourself and are confident, then the way people will look at you and perceive you will be different. Weight is not the be all end all, it is personality and confidence that makes a person attractive as well as how they look.

Who has it worse: overweight people that have given up on themselves
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I think both have it bad. Heck, skinny people get made fun of, too. When I lost down to a size 0, I think I got more comments than when I was 300 lbs because it's not PC to make straight comments to heavy people, but there is NO filter when someone is skinny.

To be honest, anything that sets someone out from the crowd, whether it's being heavy, skinny, tall, short, purple haired, etc. is picked upon. We all have our own experiences, and we can't really say if someone has it worse than we do.
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Women have it worse.

A recent study showed that average salary for women negatively correlated to their weight whereas men have a positive correlation.

Also I think that women are more likely to go through life events that can have an impact on their weight (pregnancy and childbirth being the largest), and generally women are just more judged by appearance than men. A recent example is the media reaction to women being promoted in government and the story talking about the catwalk of Downing Street.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest, I haven't really had too many bad experiences being fat (as far as interactions with other people.) That being said I feel like women are more pressured to be thin, but I think men are more pressured to be "built." I have seen people of both sexes get treated real crappy for their physical appearance.
  • seltzermint555
    Options

I knew a guy in my high school class when we all went off to college, he lived in a house with two other guys and whoever brought home the "fattest chick" and slept with her didn't have to buy beer for the week. Classy huh?

I think girls have it worse. I mean, look at Hollywood. Overweight male actors are cool and get main parts. Overweight females get to be the sidekick that makes fun of herself.

I don't mean to be a jerk here -- I always really like your posts btw!

But I don't find this to be true. It seems like overweight male actors do NOT get the main roles and their weight is the butt of many jokes, too. A few actors like Seth Rogen have lost a few pounds and then get a wider variety of roles but generally are still stuck in comedies or "friend roles" and often their weight is a big part of their character's storyline or "flaws". But most overweight male actors do not seem to even be able to branch out that much...I'd say it is on a pretty similar level as the treatment of overweight actresses, honestly.

For example, Danny McBride on Eastbound and Down...same thing sorta, as typical Rebel Wilson or Melissa McCarthy roles. It's considered funny that he is aggressive and hypersexual etc, partly (or mainly) because he's considered somewhat fat & unattractive.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I truly believe there is not right answer to this question. Every person is different and carries their weight differently - whether a man or a women.

I think it comes down to confidence and how you portray yourself. You can still be bigger and have confidence and sex appeal, but it is all in how you carry yourself. If you are bigger but don't put time and effort into yourself and just look all around frumpy, then you will probably have a hard time attracting others as it is clear you don't really care. If you carry extra weight, but put time and effort into yourself and are confident, then the way people will look at you and perceive you will be different. Weight is not the be all end all, it is personality and confidence that makes a person attractive as well as how they look.

Who has it worse: overweight people that have given up on themselves

So much of this. Yes.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think it's both.

I can say that since the weightloss, I have totally been treated better, both at work and social events. Sad because I'm the same funny person I was, just smaller...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Women have it worse.

A recent study showed that average salary for women negatively correlated to their weight whereas men have a positive correlation.

Also I think that women are more likely to go through life events that can have an impact on their weight (pregnancy and childbirth being the largest), and generally women are just more judged by appearance than men. A recent example is the media reaction to women being promoted in government and the story talking about the catwalk of Downing Street.

also i have you ever seen a shirt that says "no fat dudes/men" on it? i sure havent ...but the no fat chicks shirt is sure popular eh
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Women have it worse.

also i have you ever seen a shirt that says "no fat dudes/men" on it? i sure havent ...but the no fat chicks shirt is sure popular eh

You must not be looking in the right places.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Women have it worse.

I've heard plenty of girls bash fat men. It really does work both ways. I've also had female friends specify no fat/short/whatever else men on their dating profiles.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on degree of overweight.

If we're talking 10-20 lbs, girls, definitely.

If we're talking 150 lbs, possibly the guys.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Girls for sure because it is so much HARDER for us to lose it!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    nevermind
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hmmm

Let's look at it objectively, ignoring the shallow reasons one would say one or the other.

Overweight women risk developing low self esteem, joint problems, heart problems, lung problems, depression related to poor nutrition, high blood pressure, stroke, type 2 diabetes, premature death, sleep apnea, gallbladder disease, and similar health conditions.

Overweight men risk developing low self esteem, joint problems, heart problems, lung problems, depression related to poor nutrition, high blood pressure, stroke, type 2 diabetes, premature death, sleep apnea, gallbladder disease, and similar health conditions.

So, I think the answer is obvious.

The social reasons people point out often ring true - but for both genders. I have been mood at when I was overweight. I've been called fatty, fat a**, disgusting. I have been watched as I ate with such contempt. I have had people yell at me as they drove past me that I made them lose their appetite. I learned not to ever make eye contact with the opposite gender, because I was often insulted if I dared to do so.

I know plenty of overweight men who have had the same experience.

There is no answer to this question. Because saying 'who has it worse' invalidates the experience of another person. Worse is just as subjective as hot is.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My husband was an overweight boy, and I was an overweight girl.

We both agree that girls/women "have it worse."