Something under Squat Rack

Options
Hello!

I used to lift and had lost a decent amount of weight and was starting to be happy with my body, but for some reason I stopped and gained all the weight back, plus some. So I am back to eating healthy and working out.

I just bought a power rack, bench and weight set for home and I need some advice.

The rack will go in a room with carpet. I feel like I should probably be putting something under it to help with stability. I also think I probably shouldn't be doing squats on carpet. Any suggestions? I am hoping for something that is reasonably priced and will also protect the carpet.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this helps, but I used to have my power rack in my spare room on carpet. It immediately sank into the pile and never moved an inch again.

I also squatted/dl/etc barefoot on the carpet. It never caused me a problem. In fact, I quite liked lifting barefoot at the time I seem to remember...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Squatting on carpet is fine.

And I'll echo the thought of liking to squat barefoot. For me, one of the drawbacks of working out at a gym is having to wear socks and shoes.
  • Shtallionchick14
    Shtallionchick14 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Saving me money :)
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you want to get fancy you can use plywood. Or for really fancy use plywood and a horse stall mat and plywood for a lifting platform like in my photo. Bench can be used on the wood in the rack for a stable base and you have a place to deadlift.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Squatting on carpet is fine.

And I'll echo the thought of liking to squat barefoot. For me, one of the drawbacks of working out at a gym is having to wear socks and shoes.

I get around that using my five fingers.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yep, I put old scraps of carpet down in the garage till I could afford mats - more than a year later and the carpet is still there :smile: