How to log a hard days work?

Options
Hello!

I have a question about activity levels/logging exercise. I'm a sporadically active person, so to make things (usually) simple I set my MFP activity level to sedentary and log all of the exercise I do.

However, I can't figure out how to log my activity for my nursing clinical placements at the hospital. I'm working hard for about 4.5 hours during that I'm there. I mean walking, lifting, bending etc. etc. standing, at the very least...

How can I log this?? I only am allotted 1300 calories in a day otherwise, and I'm starving!!

Replies

• jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Can you change your activity level to "active"? Just a suggestion...
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation.....I milk cows on a dairy farm, so walking, bending, stooping, lifting, etc.....I log it as walking since that is a majority of what I am doing.
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Can you change your activity level to "active"? Just a suggestion...

It's a valid point, but I only have clinical twice a week and the rest of the week I attend lecture classes, it didn't seem right to be switching everything around every week.
  • SazzieBunny
    Options
    Student nurse here too with the exact same problem!! i just log it in as fast walking... or something like that,and give it maybe 2 or 3 solid hours...cause i only go on the wards 2.5 days a week and only for like 6 weeks at a time...so its exersize
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Student nurse here too with the exact same problem!! i just log it in as fast walking... or something like that,and give it maybe 2 or 3 solid hours...cause i only go on the wards 2.5 days a week and only for like 6 weeks at a time...so its exersize

It's really tricky!!

I was thinking of putting 1-2 hours of 2.0mph walking... I THINK that would be good, I mean it certainly isn't going to work to put in 4 hours of exercise, but overall I think it would add up.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

It's really tricky!!

I was thinking of putting 1-2 hours of 2.0mph walking... I THINK that would be good, I mean it certainly isn't going to work to put in 4 hours of exercise, but overall I think it would add up.

I would log it as very slow walking. You are not working up a sweat or even getting your heart rate up for an extended period of time, are you? I think it is better than changing your life style to active where it is olny two days a week. The other thing you could do is change it to active, see how many calories it gives you and go by that only on 2 days a week. The rest of the time go with the sedentary ones.

One more thing. it figures you at 3 days a week of exercise. if you are not doing that it may form a wash.