13-year-old daughter

Options
Hi everyone,

My 13-year-old daughter is having a horrible time with acne on her forehead. Can anyone suggest an over-the-counter cleanser that works great for their teenager? We have tried Noxema and Stridex.

Thanks!

Replies

• Reenie896
    Reenie896 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    honestly the only thing that has helped me is proactiv! its mail order...but it did WONDERS for me, I've been on it since I was 22 and i'm 28 now!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I always used clearsil and my son uses it too, It seems to work good. I buy both the clearsil cleansing pads (they are pads that you just wipe across your face to clean it), also the cleanser and the spot treatment. I hope this helps
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    clearisal.... i think thats how u spell it... u can find it at walmart give it a shot not pads tho just the cleansenig cream u rub on n wash off its in a squeeze tube thingy
  • Starnjes
    Starnjes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try acne clear at drug store or walmart. It is a little cheaper than proactive and works great!
  • MissChelleBelle
    MissChelleBelle Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "Velocity" by Mary Kay. It works wonders!!!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Try zinc suppliments, they can really help!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    yes, those acne pads work great. Also, have her wear her hair out of her face for awhile. The oils in her hair could be causing a lot of the acne. Make sure she washes her hair regularly and also washes her face before bed and in the morning. buy her a cleanser for her skin type. If she doesn't have oily skin and she uses products for oily skin, it could be drying out her skin which will then cause her skin to produce more oil which will then causes more acne. good luck!
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    i personally like liz earle cleanse and polish, its great for all skin types and seems to solve a lot of problems but again its from a website not over the counter sorry.

oh its also suitable for use from 6 months upwards which is another great thing i use it on my kids so its gentle but very effective.
  • JuliaFeirtag
    Options
    I am not a doctor or an expert, but I have used something that cleared up my 20 years of acne within a week. It's a vitamin supplement called Pantothenic Acid or B5. It works by reducing the level of oil in your skin. There are a lot of people out there who do mega-doses of this vitamin to clear their skin, but I am much too cautious for that! I have taken one or two pills twice a day (1,000-1,500 mg) for about 8 mths now and only have an occasional pimple, whereas before I always had a rash of breakouts, especially at certain times of the month. My doctor said that there is little research on the benefits or consequences of supplements like this, but he did not advise me against it; in fact, it was a dermatologist who recommended it about 15 years ago. I wish I had listened then! It would have saved me from years of embarrassing breakouts. I did a lot of online research on B5, and it has worked for me. I find it at The Vitamin Shoppe, but you can also find it online. Good luck to you and your daughter. I hope you find something that works for her!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Could you go and see your GP about it? I'm not sure where you live, but prescription meds are usually the most successful.
    Bless her, I suffered with teenage acne and it's not nice.

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Proactiv is good...you can buy it at most malls now, in those kiosks in the middle of the hallways.
  • typeaimages
    typeaimages Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not over the counter, but Proactiv is a LIFESAVER...and you can buy it online or in kiosks at most malls.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A face cleansing regiment is going to be the best thing.
    I worked in a cosmetics store when I was younger, and it was pounded into our heads! Lol!!
    You can buy 'kits' like proactiv, or acne clear or the other ones suggested...but the bottom line is:
    Cleanse
    Tone
    Spot Treat
    Moisturize

Most people think moisturizers cause breakouts, but your face becomes overly ambitious with the oil production when NOT properly moisturized.

It's a pain, but after a few days of this she should see obvious improvements!!

Good luck!!!!

Once or twice a week a gentle exfoliation works wonders for clearing pores and cleaning up dead skin cells.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I used Proactiv, and when I couldn't afford it, I'd use Cetaphil. Funny thing though, every time I had to stop using Proactiv, the next time I'd get it, it wouldn't be as effective. After going on and off it about 5 times because of finances, it stopped working. I think your skin can develop a resistance to it if you go on and off it all the time like I did.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I had awful skin as a teen and the *only* thing that worked was Proactiv. I hated spending that much money on my appearance, but they ended up making a big difference and lasting a long time.
    When I started the Pill my acne cleared up for good, but that's not something you probably want to offer your 13 year old for a few years yet :wink:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I might take her to a dermatologist and see what her specific needs are. Proactiv works for a LOT of people, so I tried it, and it made me break out worse. I had such problems for years and I finally figured out that it was from overdrying my face -- it was oily because my skin was reacting to me sucking all the moisture out of it. Anyway. I would try Proactiv or Clearasil because those work for sooooo many people, but if she still has the problem, don't despair. Just see a dermatologist if you can't find something that works, because they know allllll the tricks. She might have a sensitivity to something that can be taken care of with a prescription or a different skin care regimen.
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I worked with skincare and makeup at a department store for a while. I would suggest taking her to Clinique and having a skin care consult done. This is a free service they offer. They have really great products. My favorite being the Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup. If you are on a budget like all of us are you can get some drug store finds these are some of what I use for the same problem.

A proper make up remover (something OIL FREE)

A cleanser LIKE Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Facial Cleanser

A toner LIKE Clean & Clear Oil Free Deep Cleaning Astringent or apple cider vinegar

A oil free moisturizer LIKE Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue Lightweight UV-Lotion

You can also look up videos on Youtube for proper skin care.

You (she) can spend all the money you want but with out the proper skin care it wont get you anywhere,

one more thing with acne you want to stay away from scrubs, they will just spread the bacteria infecting other areas of skin.