Why is it that...

Options
...when I have a little bit of something sweet, I WANT MOOOOOOREEE?

Replies

• AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way, its why I can't be one of those "moderation" people. I eat "clean" now and have none of that junk (cuz for some reason none is easier than just 1) regularly and allow myself 1 cheat meal a week where I'll have a yummy dinner and a desert and call it quits until the next week.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way, its why I can't be one of those "moderation" people. I eat "clean" now and have none of that junk (cuz for some reason none is easier than just 1) regularly and allow myself 1 cheat meal a week where I'll have a yummy dinner and a desert and call it quits until the next week.
    Moderation is hard. But I really wanna learn to do it... It's just near impossible with my cravings
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Generally speaking when I get food cravings, it's for meals rather than sweets but I find if I start eating a lot of sweets I just want more of them. We don't keep junk food in the house but sometimes my mother bakes - the way to "moderate" around here is when she does, she'll save out a little for her, sends a little with me and the rest goes with my step father to work. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you want it, eat it.

If you don't, don't.

It's that simple. You just have to decide what you want.
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    product of human evolution, for most of human history food has been scarce and therefore humans evolved in such a way that when we eat foods high in fat (which are the most caloric dense) or foods that produce immediate energy for use (like sugars) triggers the response in the brain to "give me more of that" this response is controlled by the ammount of glucose in your blood stream.

I just also want to say that avoiding these foods arnt always great ideas, for example fat releases the hormone leptin in the brain which is responsible for appetite suppression and the feeling of setiety so a person on a diet extremely low in fat would likely have a hard time feeling satisfied and full. and thats just an example. also post workout a high GI carb will cause an insulin response which is desireable post workout...assuming your looking to build muscle...SO! everything has its place doesnt it.

best of luck in all things and as always. RLTW <2>
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    product of human evolution, for most of human history food has been scarce and therefore humans evolved in such a way that when we eat foods high in fat (which are the most caloric dense) or foods that produce immediate energy for use (like sugars) triggers the response in the brain to "give me more of that" this response is controlled by the ammount of glucose in your blood stream.

I just also want to say that avoiding these foods arnt always great ideas, for example fat releases the hormone leptin in the brain which is responsible for appetite suppression and the feeling of setiety so a person on a diet extremely low in fat would likely have a hard time feeling satisfied and full. and thats just an example. also post workout a high GI carb will cause an insulin response which is desireable post workout...assuming your looking to build muscle...SO! everything has its place doesnt it.

best of luck in all things and as always. RLTW <2>
    Thank you!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I bake rather than buy the majority of my own sweets. Muffins especially, which I love. I just make healthier options, like zucchini or carrot, and then freeze what I know I shouldn't eat in the span of that few days that they'll stay good on the counter. I'm usually not craving them bad enough to defrost one to eat immediately, so that works for me.

I've given up soda for this reason though; one pop seems to lead to a chocolate bar, and an entire cake, and putting in a pizza order, and... you get it.

I think it's finding the sweets that you like, that you can eat in moderation. You could also consider buying whatever it is (a chocolate bar, a bag of chips) and portioning all of it into smaller baggies. Use some self-control, and you'll likely be able to just eat that serving if it's portioned.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    ...when I have a little bit of something sweet, I WANT MOOOOOOREEE?

This is true ......... except when the food is broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc. So wish I could want more of the things that are actually good for me.