Best Yoga DVD for weight loss for beginners?

Options
Dear All,

Request your help with the best DVD's for yoga beginners.

My current workout incorporates 30 day shred and any two circuits from No more trouble zones.
This takes about 30-40 minutes of my time, post my arrival from work in the evening.

I wish to incorporate some extra yoga minutes in the morning, to achieve some extra burn,flexibility and relaxation.

Thank u in advance...:smile:

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I've asked this question before on the forums and in real life. The answer is almost always "go to a class." It can be easier because you're surrounded by others to see what they're doing and how you can do it, and an instructor to help as well.
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    I used this one when I was starting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Essential-Healthy-Living-Series/dp/B0001EYSE4

You can find parts of it on YouTube also. It has everything, yoga for beginners, meditation, hatha yoga, power yoga, relaxation techniques, dance yoga, dawn breathing, sun salutations, and advanced yoga.

I still use the power yoga, and sun salutation sequences from this video, in combination with Jillian's Yoga Meltdown, which is more advanced.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Look up DDP Yoga. It's not a pure yoga system, and it's based on various aspects of dynamic resistance, yoga, pilates and other cardio moves. The success stories are outstanding. I think you can probably try it before you buy it.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I've asked this question before on the forums and in real life. The answer is almost always "go to a class." It can be easier because you're surrounded by others to see what they're doing and how you can do it, and an instructor to help as well.

For me ^^ this^^.
    I used to go to Yoga once a week. Sadly I can't make the class any more due to other commitments, but when I went it was always far better than I could ever imagine at home. In the class it was my time, I would focus solely on me. At home whenever I tried to do some I could never find that off button. My mind was always thinking about other things like the chores that were waiting for me as soon as I'd finished. In a class you benefit from the experience and expertise of the instructor. At home it's hard to make sure you've got correct form because you don't have that pair of eyes watching your body positioning. I understand cost and time can influence whether you can attend a class, but seriously really try hard to go to one. And if the thing that stops you from going is wondering what other's think of you - honestly they may think "oh a new face" at the start while you're all waiting for the Yoga to begin, but once that starts they'll all be either zoned out and not thinking or so busy focusing on what their own body is doing they won't have time to look and judge you.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    heavyweight yoga. there are no inversions and it's easy to follow, especially if you're overweight or have joint problems. i think it's great for beginners to get used to some gentle yoga poses. i've also heart great things about DDP yoga - my brother has never worked out or done yoga (nothing but walking and kickball) and is loving DDP yoga.
  • JennyBilyeu
    JennyBilyeu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    One of the best yoga work outs I have ever done was a series of dvd's that has been put out by Diamond Dallas Page (WWE Wrestler). It's called DDP Yoga. It's fantastic!!!! They have a way to modify the exercise for beginners, and they have different sessions for different needs (ie, fat burner, abs, wake up...). It's not out of this world expensive, but it ain't cheap, either. Well worth every penny you spend, should you chose to purchase it. My husband has had surgery on both knees and both shoulders, and was in constant pain all the time even after the surgery. He started the DDP yoga, and it helped with his mobility, and after about 2 weeks of doing it, he could get out of bed in the morning without groaning...lol. He wasn't hurting hardly at all anymore! I know I sound like a commercial, but DDP yoga really is worth it. You can look it up at www.ddpyoga.com
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would agree that going to classes would be the best so that you can watch the other students and get hands on instruction and correction on posture from the teacher. If you want to supplement at home Trudy Styler's Weight Loss Yoga is a pretty good DVD for beginners.
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The youtube channel Yogea Artflow Yoga has very good videos, all for free. They go from 15 minutes to nearly 2 hours, so you have a lot of variation to play with. I really recommend her channel!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a class for at least a few times. Going to a class will allow you to learn the proper moves. You'll have a teacher nearby who can correct you if you are doing something wrong. Once you've done that, you can do your practice at home. I have used an app called GAIN yoga. It allows you to set up how long you want your practice to be and guides you during that time. I still suggest a few classes first though because some of the moves can be complex, which you need to learn proper form on.

I personally love going to my yoga class. (I do hot hatha once a week.) I don't have to worry about anyone or anything else while I'm there. That 75 minutes is my time with no distractions. I love being able to switch off my brain when I walk into the studio and escape from life for a little while. I do some yoga at home, but it just isn't the same to me.
  • Alaskagirl721
    Alaskagirl721 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Yoga Studio. Its $3.99 and has beginner, intermediate, and advanced classes. They are all broken down into 15, 30 and 60 minute sessions, and focus on flexibility, strength, relaxation, or a combo of all three. You can even make your own custom yoga session by picking out your preferred poses. I love it, worth every penny!