FIT-BIT QUESTION

Options
OK y'all..it seems like everyone who is on this "lifestyle change course" (IT'S NOT A DIET) has a fit-bit..I researched it some and I have a concern: Basically, is it accurate? I mean, I know it counts your steps, etc, but is it accurate enough to actually log into your exercise? I know very little about this thing. Little more insight from those using them would be very helpful!

Replies

• str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It is fairly accurate and much more so than using mfp estimated exercise calories burned. I got mine in Jan and have lost my weight from being able to see what calories I am burning better. It helps. I just have the cheap zip version. I wasn't sure I would like it so I went cheap. I'm happy with it.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It was designed to be used as an activity tracker, and that's exactly how I use it.

Of course, I'm one of "those people" who don't eat my calories back, so what it tells me isn't beneficial to anything but my own activity goals.

If you're looking for a more accurate calorie burn monitor, I'd consider an HRM instead.

The fitbit is more like a pedometer I can wear on my wrist!....well, it also watches me sleep, but that's a whole different topic. I have a Flex, and I -LOVE- it. It keeps me accountable, and encourages me to walk a little longer to meet my own goals (which you can set on their snazzy dashboard.) I received it on my birthday last year. Best present ever!

Good luck!
  • Stacey984
    Options
    I've gone through 2 Fitbits now and not sure I would buy another one. I found that my phone also tracks my steps (Galaxy Note 3) - however, for it to track that I need to always have my phone on me so it tracks. I really like using my HRM. The chest strap can be worn right under my bra line so it is not uncomfortable and I like knowing what my calorie burn is for an entire day vs. just how many steps I've taken. I have a Polar Ft4 but as soon as that gives out on my I think I am going to upgrade to the Loop because it is not as bulky and also tracks steps in addition to heart rate. The bracelet alone tracks steps, it needs a chest strap for the HRM to kick in.

Stacey
  • ljminto
    ljminto Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks ya'll! I appreciate the input! :)
  • mrslstage
    mrslstage Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    LOVE mine!! Had it about 2 months, & it for sure has me moving much more. The weight loss is easier bc I know exactly how many cals I'm burning & I just make sure I'm at least at a 500 deficit.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have the body bugg (body media), that I wear pretty much 24/7 I love it!. It seems really accurate, it goes off of heat your muscles put off. As long as I follow calorie goals I lose weight
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have a FLEX and I DON'T love it. I find it quite inaccurate at times. While it is intended to be mostly a pedometer, it is also designed to monitor the vigor of your steps to track "very active" and less active times. I find it is incredibly inaccurate in this department. I am constantly disappointed in the lack of accurate tracking. For instance, today I did a 1 hour circuit training/aerobics class and my FitBit only recognized about 6 minutes of "very active" time it because it was low impact, despite the intensity of the exercise. Oh, and last week it logged the time I was swimming in the pool as "lightly active" despite the fact that I was swimming laps.

As a pedometer I would say it is accurate, but not as a fitness tracker. My next buy will be some sort of HRM because I am desiring more accurate readings of my activity.

Oh, and the charger is a joke. And I sent it back for a replacement, and it is still a joke.

I would not recommend the Flex.
    However, I have a friend who has the next one up (the One, I think) and she says they resolved all the things I complain about in the newer model -- so there's that.
  • Ellie928
    Ellie928 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add me here and on fitbit at https://www.fitbit.com/user/2DQHKT
    I love it! It encourages me to walk more and therefore it does it's job pretty well =)