Advice for new runner needed

Options
Well hello!
I am currently training for my first 5K. I've been doing cardio mixed in with lifting for a few months and can run appx .75 miles with no walk break. I am working on getting my distance up, I'm sure the time will come eventually. I am training outdoors on pavement. What are some tips you recommend or some gear that is great for new runners? I am currently wearing Tevasphere Speedsters....I like them but am open to shoe suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lajoliebaleine
    lajoliebaleine Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump...also interested in any info. Thanks.
  • Kimberrh6
    Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump! I just posted in a Facebook group with this same question. I want to try a 5K in October but am clueless on how to start.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Download the free app c25k on your phone and you can easily do it. 8 week training program 3x per week. I am on week 7 and it really is a great app.

My first 5k is on Aug 23.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Here are my tips for new runners:
    1) It always sucks at first...it'll take a while to learn to love it...and even when you do, you'll still have days you'll want to throw in the towel

2) A runner's high is like no other sensation you can have while working out...you'll feel like you can run forever...they're rare, but so worth the feeling!

3) Find a good shoe that works for you. Sometimes that involves trial and error...sometimes you can get in to a great running specialty store where they analyze your gate and recommend what type of shoe would work best for you. Eg. cushioned, neutral, support, etc.

4) On that note, ALWAYS take a jog in the store when you're trying on your shoes...make sure they don't rub anywhere and that your foot doesn't slide a bunch, but that you still have room to spread your toes out.

5) Running gear - if your thighs rub at all, I recommend getting a body gel to put there...deodorant works too...but it'll help keep your thighs from painful chaffing. I prefer running in longer compression shorts that don't ride up while I'm moving. Going on a run where you're constantly pulling your shorts down focuses your energy into that, rather than your run. Same goes with a sports bra...make sure it offers you enough support.

6) You will feel like you're starving at times! Just to warn you...when you run, you'll have days where you'll feel like you can't get enough to eat...try to get some protein in ya post-run

7) And I think this is it...but finding a nice program to help build your endurance is a great way to work towards your first 5k. You can download couch to 5K apps and find them on the web too. When you hit the parts where you're supposed to jog, it's important that you pace yourself...don't feel like you have to break any records...it'll come together and as you build, you can add in some HIIT into your runs that'll help you get faster.

Happy Running! :)
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Hey ladies! Here are my tips for new runners:
    1) It always sucks at first...it'll take a while to learn to love it...and even when you do, you'll still have days you'll want to throw in the towel

2) A runner's high is like no other sensation you can have while working out...you'll feel like you can run forever...they're rare, but so worth the feeling!

3) Find a good shoe that works for you. Sometimes that involves trial and error...sometimes you can get in to a great running specialty store where they analyze your gate and recommend what type of shoe would work best for you. Eg. cushioned, neutral, support, etc.

4) On that note, ALWAYS take a jog in the store when you're trying on your shoes...make sure they don't rub anywhere and that your foot doesn't slide a bunch, but that you still have room to spread your toes out.

5) Running gear - if your thighs rub at all, I recommend getting a body gel to put there...deodorant works too...but it'll help keep your thighs from painful chaffing. I prefer running in longer compression shorts that don't ride up while I'm moving. Going on a run where you're constantly pulling your shorts down focuses your energy into that, rather than your run. Same goes with a sports bra...make sure it offers you enough support.

6) You will feel like you're starving at times! Just to warn you...when you run, you'll have days where you'll feel like you can't get enough to eat...try to get some protein in ya post-run

7) And I think this is it...but finding a nice program to help build your endurance is a great way to work towards your first 5k. You can download couch to 5K apps and find them on the web too. When you hit the parts where you're supposed to jog, it's important that you pace yourself...don't feel like you have to break any records...it'll come together and as you build, you can add in some HIIT into your runs that'll help you get faster.

Happy Running! :)

Very much appreciate this!! Thank you!