Phentermine to jump start weight loss under Dr.s supervision

Options

Replies

• kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies because that is the route I am trying to take. I walked for 45 minutes yesterday and did swiss ball exercises. I am watching what I eat, but occasionally eating something that's a treat because I live with a 3 and 5 year old and my sweetheart likes to bring home donuts etc. I know that occasionally I will eat one in the future so I will include them in this journey. I will try and buy more high fiber stuff and watch my sugar intake as well. I find this makes me ravenous if not. I am also trying portion control and trying to leave stuff on the plate when we go out to eat. This is my tool to help create new habits and lifestyle changes.

So many people take such extremes.

Option 1: Its great and you won't have to care about eating! Hooray

Option 2: Youre an idiot and wont learn how to eat properly and will gain it all back.

Does no one consider the middle ground? That Phentermine suppresses your appetite and helps you to learn how to eat less and be OK with it? Much of our hunger, at least for the obese, is mental. If you can be on Phentermine for 2 months and re-program your brain that eating less is good and you are fulfilled, it can lead to long term success.

There doesn't have to be a rebound.

Just have to say.....I love this answer!!
  • xjennaxjam1s0nx
    Options
    In 2008 I weighed in at 230lbs, I was miserable. I couldn't bring my leg up to tie my shoes, couldn't fit my clothes, was so depressed. I started weight watchers at work with a group, and it didn't really do much. I went to the doctor to talk to them about what I could do. The doctor tried to push me to try Alli; couldn't do that, my job doesn't permit the multiple bathroom break that I may have needed on that. A friend of mine told me about Phentermine, so I asked about that. My doctor gave it to me. This pill was I believe of the yellow color and oblong. I would get up every morning and take it about 0500 ish, and work out with my Lt at work and still do weight watchers. After about 6 months or so, I got down to about 170. I was happy with it. I did have the hot flashes, sweats, and I also started breaking out VERY badly on my face with the cystic acne. I also had lots of energy, like I drank 4 red bulls.

I was on this for about 3 months I think, maybe 4 at the most, and then I felt like I was hooked. I was scared. I stopped taking it cold turkey, and I had bad withdrawals from it, and just bawled my eyes out. It did help me lose weight though.

Fast forward to 2014. I did well maintaining my weight until about 4 months ago. I went thru a divorce and got comfortable with going out and such. So I am back on phentermine as of 3 days ago. This time I have a capsule that is half clear, half blue and has little blue & white balls inside. So far, I have had no problems other then the bursts of energy, which have been great because I have been running and working out. I sleep fine. I take it early enough and I sleep fine.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    suggested I try phentermine for 3 months only to get me into healthy patterns.
    5'2" 228.8 as of today. I would like to lose 30 pound in 3 months.
    At your height, a healthy weight range would be 105-130 lb.
    Being severely obese, you probably can lose 10 lb a month in the beginning, especially with help controlling your appetite, which is what phentermine does. (But don't be disappointed if you have a more normal weight loss of 6 lb per month. I started out more than 100 lb overweight and that's about what I'm losing.)

Once your appetite is reset and you learn to eat & be satisfied with normal portions, you won't need the drug.
    When you get close to the end of the 3 months, if your doc still refuses to let you go beyond that, start skipping days, then skip 2 days, then 3, so you learn that you're OK without it. Do it very gradually.
    The post I was responding to implied the OP was a bad person for wanting a quick result via medical assistance
    It's not a quick fix anyway.
    She'll still have to eat less & exercise more.
    All the drug will do is control her hunger so the "eat less" part is possible and not torture.
    Does no one consider the middle ground? That Phentermine suppresses your appetite and helps you to learn how to eat less and be OK with it? Much of our hunger, at least for the obese, is mental. If you can be on Phentermine for 2 months and re-program your brain that eating less is good and you are fulfilled, it can lead to long term success.
    YES!!! This!
    Diet pills are harmful and unnecessary. No one is telling you to defend yourself, they are giving good advice: "don't take drugs."
    As I say in my blog post about prescription weight-loss drugs, if someone were in pain would you tell them they just needed more willpower to overcome it, and that morphine is a bad thing?
    Of course not.
    So when someone has constant hunger WHY do you want to deny them a way to control it?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/prescription-weight-loss-drugs-679877
    If you're going to be on a calorie deficit, the weight is going to come off anyway;
    Phentermine is not going to help with that.
    As has been pointed out several times already, phentermine controls hunger, and that allows the person to learn to eat normal portions, as well as resetting the hunger mechanism.
    have you ever taken it? that stuff makes your heart RACE- and man I wouldn't sleep for weeks. there is NO doubt it causes heart problems and even the side effects and drug warnings are clearly labeled on the pamphlet the pharmacy gives you
    Sounds like you're very sensitive to that class of drugs, so it's good that you won't take them again.
    The only side effect I've had is that my blood pressure was slightly elevated.
    And no, phentermine does not cause heart problems. That's the other half of the phen-fen combination, which was taken off the market.
    Can you post some studies (please use reputable sources, like PubMed) supporting your opinion?
    BTW, every prescription drug comes with a pamphlet detailing the potential side effects, no matter how uncommon they are.
    For phentermine, most often it's a dry mouth and sleeplessness, which can be alleviated by drinking more water and taking the medicine earlier in the morning.
    I hit my goal weight and, when I stopped taking the meds, I immediately started regaining weight
    You shouldn't have been on them right to the end.
    They're meant for people who are obese (in the red zone in this BMI chart),
    or for people who are overweight (the yellow zone) and who have other problems associated with being fat (diabetes, joint problems, etc.).
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So many people take such extremes.

Option 1: Its great and you won't have to care about eating! Hooray

Option 2: Youre an idiot and wont learn how to eat properly and will gain it all back.

There doesn't have to be a rebound.

Technically, no, there doesn't HAVE to be a rebound.

In reality, there almost always is. To me, that is something that needs to be taken into consideration. Initial weight losses are not good predictors of long-term success, so when someone says "I lost X pounds on Y intervention", it really doesn't say anything about the efficacy of the intervention.

I don't reflexively condemn using phentermine or other extreme methods. There might be individual conditions that make such a strategy seem appropriate. Each individual has the potential for a different outcome. But the odds against long-term success are very,very high, which is why it is hard to say anything positive.
  • xjennaxjam1s0nx
    Options
    I think it helps with your portions, which I have a hard time controlling right now. It does suppress my appetite, but I'm still eating well. It's summer time, I love fruit. I have however used the energy and started back in to a work out routine. And when I was on it before I didn't rebound. I kept it off for about 5 years. It wasn't until my recent divorce that I went down hill again. It's all mental. Some people just need help getting there.
  • KokoaRhashonda
    Options
    I'm appalled at some of the comments on here....smh. Come on people. We are all here for one common goal, to be healthy. Right?

I am 31, 5'3", and 224lbs. I am obese! I was not always like this of course. I was active as a teenager playing multiple sports and in various activities, so my body is/was acclimated to a certain level of activity. Once that activity began to decline the weight slowly started to stick. It didn't become a "problem" until I had my daughter @24. After the pregnancy I lost all I gained and some but because I was a full time student I rarely found the time to continue my rigorous exercise routine. An excuse to some but it's the truth all the same. Now here I am years later at 224lbs working out sporadically but not maintaining what could be considered a decent diet. I never seem to have much of an appetite thus eating once maybe twice a day. That's not good...I know. I also know that my lack of eating is a huge contributor to my size.

So.....I was prescribed Phen last Thursday and have been making it a point to eat throughout the day because if I don't nausea occurs but also because I KNOW that I need to eat more. So far so good. I have lost a lil more than 10lbs and I know that I'll lose much more. I have been exercising as well. With my weight it is very hard to do the type of activities that I used to do (i.e. Kickboxing, highimpact cardio, etc.) so I am easing my way back to that level. I'm sure that after a month I will be able to do much more than I can now.......so those few that are on here asking why take phen when you could.......exercise or whatever need to hush it. I'm sure that many people were/are like me, as in they hate taking medicine nor did they think that they would resort to taking a "diet pill". Fact is some people need help with weight loss. So for those of you on that journey good luck......regardless of the route you take. Just set your goal(s) and attain them.
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    I would be looking for a new doctor
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm appalled at some of the comments on here....smh. Come on people. We are all here for one common goal, to be healthy. Right?

I really don't know why this thread is still going, but what exactly are you appalled by? People having opinions other than "diet pills are the best, definitely take them!"

No one needs to take drugs to lose weight.
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have taken Phentermine in the past. My doctor was responsible and only allowed me to take it for 3 months. I lost a substantial amount of weight in that short time. The problem is that after the 3 months I quickly started to gain it back.

I found a doctor that was not as responsible and as long as I checked in every 2 weeks, I could get a new set of pills that he dispensed in his office. That got to be pricey because it wasn't covered by my insurance. (Hmm, I wonder why?) I then sought the pills through overseas online pharmacies.

It was cheaper. I went through this for a while until I decided it was stupid. I stopped taking the pills, gained a ton of weight and then finally joined Jenny Craig. I once again lost a bunch of weight (through diet and exercise) and kept it off until I had my daughter 2 years ago. Back on the weight loss train again.

I have to admit that I thought about taking the pills again but then I remembered the only real way to sustain weight loss is through diet and exercise.
  • KokoaRhashonda
    Options
    No one ever said that diet pills are the best....lol smart asssssk. Yes, we all have opinions, but some comments seemed more like a put down....but that to is just my opinion. I also agree that no one NEEDS drugs to lose weight...per say, but if that is the help they are offered and the pros outweigh the cons......don't respond negatively towards their decision. That's all I meant by the phrase you "...".

A for the life of this thread....it was at the top of the forum articles.....so I commented.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    No one ever said that diet pills are the best....lol smart asssssk. Yes, we all have opinions, but some comments seemed more like a put down....but that to is just my opinion. I also agree that no one NEEDS drugs to lose weight...per say, but if that is the help they are offered and the pros outweigh the cons......don't respond negatively towards their decision. That's all I meant by the phrase you "...".

A for the life of this thread....it was at the top of the forum articles.....so I commented.

Unfortunately we can't dictate what types of responses we receive on internet forums. It's very common around here for someone to post a thread, ask for advice, receive advice and then say "This website is to support one another, why is everyone being SO MEAN??" When no one was actually mean.

I used to be over 200 lbs too. Learning what portions look like, weighing food, getting active - these are the things you need to do, not take pills that make you nauseated. Telling someone the truth isn't the same as "tearing people down," and making excuses for why you personally need to take pills doesn't change the opinions of people who had the same obstacles as you but managed to lose weight on their own.

If you want to have weight loss that will transition into maintenance, don't take pills. If you want to lose weight only while you are on the pills, eventually run out of the prescription and gain everything back because you never learned to manage your appetite, then take pills. I guess.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I am 31, 5'3", and 224lbs. I am obese! I was not always like this of course. I was active as a teenager playing multiple sports and in various activities, so my body is/was acclimated to a certain level of activity. Once that activity began to decline the weight slowly started to stick. It didn't become a "problem" until I had my daughter @24. After the pregnancy I lost all I gained and some but because I was a full time student I rarely found the time to continue my rigorous exercise routine. An excuse to some but it's the truth all the same. Now here I am years later at 224lbs working out sporadically but not maintaining what could be considered a decent diet. I never seem to have much of an appetite thus eating once maybe twice a day. That's not good...I know. I also know that my lack of eating is a huge contributor to my size.

So.....I was prescribed Phen last Thursday and have been making it a point to eat throughout the day because if I don't nausea occurs but also because I KNOW that I need to eat more. So far so good. I have lost a lil more than 10lbs and I know that I'll lose much more. I have been exercising as well. With my weight it is very hard to do the type of activities that I used to do (i.e. Kickboxing, highimpact cardio, etc.) so I am easing my way back to that level. I'm sure that after a month I will be able to do much more than I can now.......so those few that are on here asking why take phen when you could.......exercise or whatever need to hush it. I'm sure that many people were/are like me, as in they hate taking medicine nor did they think that they would resort to taking a "diet pill". Fact is some people need help with weight loss. So for those of you on that journey good luck......regardless of the route you take. Just set your goal(s) and attain them.

Well that's interesting. How is lack of eating a contributor to weight gain?
  • KokoaRhashonda
    Options
    Lol. You guess? Thanks mother for giving me your permission. Lol. You don't have to educate me on ways to maintain/lose weight....I lost over 60lbs after my pregnancy without your help....nor do you have to enlighten me on how being "mean" (I would rather use the word inconsiderate) is subjective. Opinions, opinions, opinions.....We all have them, but don't think that yours should be the one and only option. They work best for YOU...and mine for ME. So yes forgiveme if I entered my first forum on MFP and was appalled....shocked....disappointed...etc. by some of the comments posted......

To address your next to last sentence...." If you want to lose weight only while you are on the pills, eventually run out of the prescription and gain everything back because you never learned to manage your appetite, then take pills". You are making assumptions based on what? Othet peoples results.....obviously not mine so don't assume anything for me.....it is not impossible for people to keep the weight off after using Phen and I have confidence that I will be one of those who do.....but whether I lose weight using adipex, or changing one's lifestyle, or exercising alone I know that "transitioning" into maintaining a healthy weight can be rough the first couple of years...but it is not impossible to achieve.
  • stephylynn190
    stephylynn190 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used Phentermine to jump start my weight loss nearly 9 years ago and it was great. I had tons of energy without being jittery and I was never hungry which was a huge help in overcoming my habit of overeating. I took it for 2 months and in that time span managed to get into the habit of eating healthy foods in correct portions and working out 3-5 times a week. I lost 40 lbs in 2 months and kept it off for 3 years until I became pregnant. Now since I'm still nursing my youngest child I use MFP exclusively to track calories and exercise. It's been more difficult to stay on track but I'm getting there.

I think that so long as you use Phentermine as a tool to rid yourself of unhealthy habits then it is fine, but you'll have to continue to watch food intake and exercise if you want the results to last.
  • UrsSarcastically
    Options
    I am not an advocate of this medication at all! The only positive feedback I can give you is that you did it before you can do it again. Best of luck !
  • kansasbelle
    Options

Unfortunately we can't dictate what types of responses we receive on internet forums. It's very common around here for someone to post a thread, ask for advice, receive advice and then say "This website is to support one another, why is everyone being SO MEAN??" When no one was actually mean.

I used to be over 200 lbs too. Learning what portions look like, weighing food, getting active - these are the things you need to do, not take pills that make you nauseated. Telling someone the truth isn't the same as "tearing people down," and making excuses for why you personally need to take pills doesn't change the opinions of people who had the same obstacles as you but managed to lose weight on their own.

If you want to have weight loss that will transition into maintenance, don't take pills. If you want to lose weight only while you are on the pills, eventually run out of the prescription and gain everything back because you never learned to manage your appetite, then take pills. I guess.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What exactly is this? It sounds like it might have some serious side effects if it is causing that fast of weight loss?

Not knocking you or your decision at all as some here seem to be. Everyone has their own differences some need it and you may be one. I am just curious about it as I havent heard of it before.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    Appetite can be suppressed naturally... just don't give into the bs cravings. Eat what your only supposed to. If you did this for a certain amount of time your body will adapt to it.
  • kansasbelle
    Options
    After one month and changing my lifestyle I am making better choices for me. The pills help my appetite, but getting at least 15 to 30 minutes of exercise a day is something I know I can keep up with long term. I am no longer single and have little kids. Instant family of 4. :) I don't have the time to work out for over an hour a day when I did before. As I mentioned i was on medication that caused the weight gain and slowed my metabolism. I'm not stopping eating. This is killing my appetite some but I am making sure to keep my calories between 1200 and 1400 net calories daily. So I will be successful once I restart a habit. It does take time to create a habit and this medication is helping create that new habit.

I never said diet pills were the best or only answer. This is not a long term fix but a jump start to get back into a new lifestyle. It's working. If I was eating 500 calories a day or not exercising like some people do and think the medication is the only fix, then yes I will fail. But i'm not going to fail. There have even been days I've skipped the pills. I appreciate the support from others who have been in my shoes.

I'm not making excuses. The Dr. stated that there is a direct correlation between my two medications and my weight gain. a 10% gain from each one resulting in the 40 lbs I gained. How is that an excuse? How is my Dr who went to numerous years of school less educated on this subject than yourself.

I think Phentermine is one of those issues like Christianity and atheism. It's ok for each to state their truth is right and have no problem offending others with their values because it's their truth. I use this example because although I value my faith in God I can understand why peoples experiences make them turn away from God. It doesn't make them bad people. And me condemning them saying my truth is right will push them away instead of bring them around. If you have a differing opinion you can present it a respectful manner and then the person can decide from there. By insulting or belittling someone you put them on the defensive and not willing to hear what you have to say. Ironically, being a devout Catholic I have been able to engage Atheists respectfully and communicate with them and have them see my perspective because I didn't put them on the defense. I was able to effectively communicate because I wasn't so busy stating why I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG.

This is what has gone on this page. It has rarely been a concern for my safety. It has been a I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG argument. I appreciate the feedback from everyone who has had this experience. I don't deserve to be treated like a pariah and that you are better than I am because of the way you went about your loss. It's the underlying hatred that emanated because I am supposedly taking the EASY way out. There has been nothing easy about my life. I was abused for 11 years, miscarried my only pregnancy, recovered from Agoraphobia and started over from nothing being garnished for my husband behaviors, evicted from my home and him steeling my car. If we need to brag about accomplishment lets start with I got out alive, I started over 17 hours from home with only a job. I walked to work, didn't eat, paid for my divorce, bankruptcy and bought a 500 dollar car. So maybe it's easier for people without severe baggage to do things the "RIGHT WAY". To not have medicinal interventions. I am glad for that. I am proud to be able to leave my house and get in a car without freaking out, I am proud to have left a man who was abusing me. I am proud that I admitted that I needed some help getting started on this weight loss journey. I am proud of who I am now. You can judge all you want, but is that any better than people who judged you and labled you for being fat?
  • kansasbelle
    Options
    What exactly is this? It sounds like it might have some serious side effects if it is causing that fast of weight loss?

Not knocking you or your decision at all as some here seem to be. Everyone has their own differences some need it and you may be one. I am just curious about it as I haven't heard of it before.

Yes it can have serious side effects, My dr. and I discussed that. Web MD states: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-gain-tons-of-benefits shows what just a 10% weight loss can do for your health. Morbid obesity can cause diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, heart attacks etc. So which side effects are worse?

I didn't get this pill off the internet. I am morbidly obese not anerexic. I am only on a regimen of 3 months with monthly check ups by my Dr. I am not dropping weight dramatically like some people do on phentermine. I have been losing about 2 to 2.5 pounds a week. I am making sure I am not starving myself and eating between 1200 and 1400 net calories after exercise. I am also exercising at 15 minutes or 30 minutes or more a day, A Realistic a maintainable goal.

Some people do abuse this medication. Some people gain the weight back because they don't change their habits. Just like people who do nutra system and Jenny craig etc do when they stop eating the prepacked foods. If you don't change your behaviors why take the medication in the first place. You are just setting yourself up for failure.