Treadmill C25k?

Options
Who's doing C25k? I got the iPhone app and I'm on week 3 day 1. Three minute jogs this week. Still hard but getting better at it. Anyone complete the 8 weeks? Does the program work? Were you able to jog consistently for 30 minutes at the end of the 8 weeks? Do share your experience.

Replies

• oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5, day 2. It's working so far. I cheat a little bit and run a bit more than I'm supposed to so the next coming week isn't so drastic! I definitely have more stamina! Today I ran outside for the first time since starting the program and I was able to complete my workout easily. Oh yes and I'm 190lbs. so I am running slowly but still able to finish the workouts so far without difficulty. Good luck!
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I found it easy on the treadmill, out doors I really struggle but I think that is because I always have my dog with me and I'm always stopping to let her pee etc... that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I got to week 6 and then developed foot issues so I had to stop. I was able to run for 10 minutes straight, break and run again. I am just starting back up, hoping my foot issues are past. It feels so good to run again! It does work!
  • Aquinstar
    Options
    I just completed C25k yesterday. Yes, I can run 30 min straight without stopping. But here's the kicker - I'm nowhere close to 3.1 miles (5k.) Including the 5 min warmup and cooldown I'm at about 2.8 miles. I've come to the conclusion that I run SLOW. I waiver back and forth between being disappointed with myself and being proud I can go that long without stopping. I ran outside for the program and I highly recommend it. Running outside is SO much harder than running on a treadmill, so if you're goal is to participate in a 5k at some point, keep the treadmill for days where its way too hot or storming out.
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This program was amazing for me. I went from not being able to run 60 seconds, to now, my longest run has been about 70 minutes (6 miles) and building. If you're on the treadmill, try to get outside. Trust me, it's a very different animal. I did all my miles on the treadmill, but I didn't improve beyond the 30 minute run until I got outside.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is absolute purgatory, notwithstanding that I used C25K podcasts about 18 months ago to start running. I finished it in about 12 weeks, rather than the 9 in the plan, because I had some diary issues a couple of itmes and couldn't get the time in.

I'm now running a sub 2hour half marathon distance.

So it works.

But I'd recommend getting out in the real, after more than 5 minutes on a dreadmill I'm ready to tear someones arms off.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, the program works. I was not a runner. Although I tried to run in the past, I just couldn't do it. But C25K got me through and, almost 2 years later, I'm still running.
    You'll be able to run 30 minutes by the end of the program. That doesn't mean, though, that you will be able to run 5K by the end of the program. You might but it's not a given. Don't worry about the distance for now. Speed will come with time. For now, concentrate on running the time. (heck, I still can't run 5K in 30 minutes but I'm still thrilled that I can run 5K and I am ecstatic every time I see my time get better)
    If you're having difficulties, do the "talk test". While running, speak a short sentence aloud. If you have difficulties (huffing, puffing or gasping your way through the sentence), slow down; you're running too fast. Slowing down will "cure" most of the difficulties you'll come up against in this program.
    Do you have a good pair of shoes? Good shoes will also make a big difference. I recommend going to a running store with an old pair of shoes and have them fit your feet properly.
    Like Smirnoff, I had trouble transitioning from the treadmill to the outdoors. I went from being able to run 30 minutes to running about 10 minutes. Within a couple of weeks, I had adjusted and could run 30 minutes out doors. The difference is (as I was told) that the treadmill does not train the set of muscles that propels you forward. Therefore, when you transition to outdoors, those muscles are weaker and it takes awhile to build them up. I'm not sure if this is true but it made some sense.
    That said, I find the transition back to the treadmill in the winter also a bit difficult. It's hard to get used to that steady pace again. When running outdoors you automatically adjust speed as you run along.

Welcome to the world of running. Don't give up. If you like, this is an active and helpful group of people also doing the C25K program:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I just completed C25k yesterday. Yes, I can run 30 min straight without stopping. But here's the kicker - I'm nowhere close to 3.1 miles (5k.) Including the 5 min warmup and cooldown I'm at about 2.8 miles. I've come to the conclusion that I run SLOW. I waiver back and forth between being disappointed with myself and being proud I can go that long without stopping.

Be proud of your accomplishment. You're doing fantastically great with that time. You are not slow. The first time I ran 5K straight through, without stopping for a walking break, it took me 50 minutes. Now, that's slow! :laugh: BUT, speed isn't the accomplishment, running is and you've run 30 minutes!!! That is awesome!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    This program was amazing for me. I went from not being able to run 60 seconds, to now, my longest run has been about 70 minutes (6 miles) and building.

Before the summer heat started, this was where I was. My longest run was about 65 minutes (8.5K; about 5 miles). Summer heat has slowed me down, both in speed and time. But I'm still running 5K, 3-4 times a week and looking forward to the fall when I can start running longer again.
    Well done! Keep running.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K in April 2014. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself :) I love, love and love running!

Also, go outside if possible; it's a whole other experience!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Before the summer heat started, this was where I was. My longest run was about 65 minutes (8.5K; about 5 miles). Summer heat has slowed me down, both in speed and time. But I'm still running 5K, 3-4 times a week and looking forward to the fall when I can start running longer again.
    Well done! Keep running.

I've done most of my mile building over this summer as I am training for a 10K and hopefully a half before the year is over, so I am hoping as the weather cools I will just get better (well, that's the hope anyway!). But yeah, I am also someone who adapts to the heat very, very well. The cold? Not so much :/
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I started the program in November. And right after I started to train for my first half marathon. So it completely works if you keep pushing yourself. Good job on week 3 =)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Who's doing C25k?
    Me
    Anyone complete the 8 weeks?
    Tuesday this week
    Does the program work?
    Yes
    Were you able to jog consistently for 30 minutes at the end of the 8 weeks?
    Yes

I started on a dreadmill but ended up outside, aircon at the gym failed. I prefer running outside now. It also helped with me running at a natural speed rather than a forced speed on a dreadmill. I took 32min23 secs to do 5km on Tuesday and have run 37 mins continuous. I am starting the bridge to 10k programme tomorrow. Two bits of advice, don't run too fast and ensure you rest. I wish you success.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I'd love to be able to run outside but scheduling issues prevent it. Hectic life as a mom of three, full time employee, student and baker. Wheeeew, I barely have time to breathe but I'll be sure to keep up with the program. Did some heavy lifting today then went on the treadmill. Big mistake, I could barely move my legs. They were like jello.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep if you stick with it consistently you'll be able to run the full amount of time by the end of it..

you'll also find that a lot of running is mental. i had times when on say tuesday i could do the workout just fine, thursday was like running in quicksand and saturday was fine. i found that on the days i just wasnt "feeling it" were the hardest to get through because i'd have to reach down and find some proper motivation. i find that having a good playlist helps with that, so even if i'm not mentally about it, the music makes me want to get it done :happy:
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Did some heavy lifting today then went on the treadmill. Big mistake, I could barely move my legs. They were like jello.

But that is the right sequences if you are lifting doing squats, running first then doing squats you won't move the bar. I saved time by incorporating the run into getting back from the gym, it depends on where it is and how comfortable you are running back. Mine is 1.5 miles from home and so I am taking detours if that is my plan for the day. Good luck on your balancing act.
  • littlelauras
    littlelauras Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Today I did the penultimate run of the c25k and after tomorrow's rest day will be my final run. All but one of my runs were on a treadmill at the gym.
    When I started the app I was smoking nearly 20 a day but I'm smoke free and nearly running 5k in a few weeks, it's really the best thing I've ever done. I surprised myself every day with each workout I completed - I didn't have to repeat/stop any, and considering I was smoking at the beginning of the program (with asthma...), had zero fitness and only have short legs at 4'11", I wholeheartedly recommend the app :)