How often should I redo my goals?

Options
By that I mean, how often should I change the food input? Should I change every so many lbs lost? Every so many months? Etc?

I am thinking maybe every 10lbs, I just want to keep a handle on it, I have a lot to lose and am not looking forward to having little calories but am looking forward to having a littler waist :)

If you have a link to a post that answers this, that'd be fine too. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    What you're doing is working, so why change it?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Every ten pounds lost and MFP will adjust your calorie goals. As you get smaller you need less calories.
  • ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    hearthwood, I lost weight this way in an odd way I was on here, lost about 10lbs, became homeless for a while and just got back on here after that and the main part of my weightloss was not done with MFP and tracking, though I wish it was! :S But thank you for the positive advice :)
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would say keep doing what you're doing until you plateau. If you're losing consistently week to week, then your caloric goals are still in the appropriate range for your body and whatever exercising you're doing is appropriate. If not, it may be time reevaluate work out intensity and/or caloric input goals.

ETA: if you've taken a long break from MFP as you stated, I'd go through the goals screen again and recalculate the whole thing just to make sure it's appropriate for your current, new starting point. :) Hope everything's going better for you.
  • ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    SLLrunner :) Thanks! Yes, I know I will. I just hope when I reach my goal weight I won't be surprised at my maintenance calories! :) I will do as I do though since I want to be healthy. I don't want to be a hypocritical nurse speaking of health and not being healthy myself.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    MFP has done it for me every 10 pounds.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    For me MFP has adjusted my calories every couple of pounds, and it's because I only had 10 pounds to lose. So every time I change my weight setting my calories drop a little. I started out at 1290 and am now at 1240. Not a drastic change, but a change.