Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Advice for a low-carber please?

I started a low carb diet two weeks ago, following a meal plan that puts me at 30-50 g of carbs a day. This means I have to get my protein from eggs, cheese, soy, tofu and protein powder to stay under the number. But being Indian, I'm used to eating lentils, beans, wheat (chapatis) and occasionally, rice. I may lose weight on the diet I currently am on, but will I ever be able to eat the foods I'm used to without the fear of gaining weight back? Also, since I'm a graduate student, it is economical to eat lentils/whole wheat than tofu and soy. Advice please?

Replies

• capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Thanks for the advice, but I started on it a month ago. Do you mean I should just stop it and go back to eating carbs again? Won't I pile on all the weight again?
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    First of all, why are you on a low carb diet? There are no carbs in the food you mentioned, it's all protein. Did a doctor tell you to do this? If so, it's probably because you're pre diabetic or already have type 2 diabetes. If that's the case you want to get your carbs from vegi's, lots of fresh vegetables.

If that's not the case, know that a calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs. Our bodies require them all. Cutting out a certain food group upsets our balance, and the results usually means a fatter person.

Long term weight loss success, is simply calories in versus calories out. Meaning eat less, move more.
  • capriqueen
    @hearthwood: I am not diabetic, I visited a weight-loss clinic and they put me on this diet. I am usually not the type to eat such unbalanced diets because I can't eat any of my usual foods on this (and I don't eat refined carbs so much, only whole grains and legumes).
    Yes, I am aware that a calorie is a calorie. Believe me, I would gladly go back to my original foods if I had the guarantee I wouldn't gain all the weight back. I'm scared I would be undoing all the effort I've put in. Can I increase my carb intake gradually without the fear of putting all the weight back on?
  • capriqueen
    Thanks for the advice, but I started on it a month ago. Do you mean I should just stop it and go back to eating carbs again? Won't I pile on all the weight again?

No, you won't pile on a weight. When people do low carb they usually lose water weight at first, a quick drop in weight 5-10lbs of water is normal. After that you lose the average amount of weight as if you just did a normal style diet.

I am saying in your case low carb is pointless. Weight loss is about calories, not about carbs. You're obviously limiting certain foods you want to eat, that never ends well. If I was you, i'd just ditch the low carb and focus on my calories while eating the food I want to eat.

That sounds good to hear. The reason I asked is because a lot of articles say that once carbs are brought into the picture, weight gain may occur quickly. And I have read about people who say they put back on all the weight they lost once they came of the diet. Is that because they were simply consuming too many calories?
  • What's with all the low-carb hate? Have a look at this article and some of the 46 scientific sources that it cites: http://authoritynutrition.com/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/.
    Keep it up capriqueen! All calories are not the same, cutting carbs down to <50g per day will force your body to burn fat for energy, especially if you are doing some light-moderate cardio with it. I have been keto (that's the name of your diet) for a month now and lost 20lbs with ~5 hrs moderate cardio per week.

With regards to going back to the foods you love, that's absolutley fine, once you hit your goal weight. This period of watching carbs closely will both educate you about where carbs hide and also that fat is not the evil thing it has been made out to be. At your goal weight you can start re-introducing carbs slowly. Just watch your overall calorie intake at that point and try not to go over your RDA of carbs.

Feel free to add me as a friend for support!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Low carb diets may work for some time, but very few people successfully stay on them and manage to keep their weight off - I would conjecture precisely because they feel deprived of the foods they want to eat, so they crack and fall off the wagon. That's what happened to me when I followed "diet"s (although I never did low-carb).

I would second the recommendation not to do low-carb if you don't like it and have no medical issues requiring it. Think long term - how will you keep the weight off? You have to learn how to eat differently, because a short term diet does not lead to long term success. Count calories, eat a balanced diet, and eat the things you want in moderation, and you should go far. Set yourself up for success by not making changes that you aren't happy to stick with forever, so you don't feel deprived and give up. Best of luck to you.

edit: I'm not an expert, but from my understanding, if you do suddenly gain a bit of weight after reintroducing carbs, it's your glycogen stores replenishing, and not a fat gain. Take measurements as well as tracking your weight so you get a better picture of what is going on. A brief weight spike (if it happens) is not a big deal - you will see a lot of these fluctuations if you continue (water retention usually).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I started a low carb diet two weeks ago, following a meal plan that puts me at 30-50 g of carbs a day. This means I have to get my protein from eggs, cheese, soy, tofu and protein powder to stay under the number. But being Indian, I'm used to eating lentils, beans, wheat (chapatis) and occasionally, rice. I may lose weight on the diet I currently am on, but will I ever be able to eat the foods I'm used to without the fear of gaining weight back? Also, since I'm a graduate student, it is economical to eat lentils/whole wheat than tofu and soy. Advice please?
    It is good to see this as a plan for your life -- not something you do temporarily. Work with foods that will help you long term.

Some thoughts. Stay with the proteins you are used to eating: eggs, cheese, yogurt, soy, tofu, beans, lentils, chick peas,

Add lots more low carb vegetables:
    romaine lettuce, spinach, kale, collards, swiss chard, mustard greens, radicchio, endive, basil, parsley, cilantro, cabbage, sprouts, mushrooms, asparagus, fennel, broccoli, squash, zucchini, brussel sprouts, peppers, cucumbers, snow peans, green beans, scallions, cauliflower, fenugreek, okra, chicory, dill,

Eat fewer/less chapatis and rice than you were eating.

(Drop the protein powder.)
    Sometimes when you change diets you add a couple of pounds of water. That will even out in in a few days.
  • capriqueen
    Thanks a lot for all your advice

@RodaRose: I definitely want to look at this as a long term solution, which is why I came here asking this question. I kind of regret starting this diet in the first place though. I don't eat too much rice but chapatis are a staple in the Indian diet. So is rice, but I cut on it because it lacks fiber.

I can go without eating chapatis/rice, but to avoid dairy, legumes and lentils is just too much. I have been on diets with high protein before but I never cut on lentils or skim milk.

Now I occasionally cheat and have yogurt, ice cream or some of my favorite foods once or twice a week, while staying under my calorie count for the day. The main disadvantage with it is that it is easier for meat eaters, but for a graduate student on a budget it's expensive besides being difficult to find recipes.
  • capriqueen
    I found recipes online too...... most of them replace flour with cauliflower or are variations of spinach pie. I don't have a food processor, and even if I did continue, buying tofu is not as economically feasible an option as lentils/legumes.

How many carbs do you eat (as a percentage of your daily calories) ?
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    You may find that a moderate level carb diet is better for you in the long term. I aim for 100-130 gm carbs a day, which is not considered low but is much lower than what i used to eat. Along with watching calories and regular exercise, it has worked fine for me.

It's obvious from your posts that doing low carb isn't fitting into your lifestyle as you'd like, so modify it. This needs to be a healthy eating lifestyle change or you'll never be able to maintain it.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Low carbing is for people trying to lose the last 10lbs. If you got 60+ pound to lose, then a calorie deficit is all you need.

UNLESS you are carb sensitive, in which case deficit + low carbing is what you would need. Experiment and do what works for yOU. Everyone here is just telling you what worked for THEM, they don't know there is no one-rule-fits-all
  • capriqueen
    Well, I am at 153 pounds right now, and I would like to get down to 120-125. I started at 160.

I lost 7 pounds in the last three weeks, but after two days of carb overload (I spent the weekend at my cousin's house and there were events and stuff), I feel like I've put on all the water weight back. I'm just psyched and think I should go back to my original diet where carbs were about 30% of my daily ration.

However, I notice a marked difference in my waist and stomach (I'm a pear and this is where I lose first). Do you think this is attributed to water alone, or is some fat lost in the first few weeks? I've been exercising 5 times a week, besides walking a lot and eating at a deficit.